Note 7 - This lag is unfreakingbelievable

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
There is a big difference especially if you have the tmobile version...nearly lag free, nougat like app notifications, some interesting options also pop up above icons if you hold one down on any of your home screens....you can uninstall, put to sleep a app, see app info, or add to secure folder which wasn't on my old device...the animations are much smoother and look really nice...i am not even scaling down my animations because feel I no longer have to and if you want ya device to speed up even more you have the option to switch to 1080p although it's not necessary.

Last edited:

skippyg

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
My original 7 lagged pretty bad. Even when doing a clean install of apps. This new replacement (Sprint) is very snappy even after restoring of apps/data. Its a relief though, I was so used to my S6Edge+ that was crazy fast too.

alwright1980

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
This is disconcerting to me but noo real surprise that this thread exists. i was contemplating the upgrade fro my note 5 but when I saw that US Variants werent going to get the Dual QWuad core 1.6Ghz/2.4Ghz 8890 snapdragon configuration but would rather be ofeered a slower quad core model I was heartbroken. The Note 5 had the Octa-core (rather Dual-quad Core) configuration and I haven't experience lag at all in just under a yearunles employing a particularly taxing themer. Before I Buy I always check a different well known forum that gave me the low down on what to expect. If you're intersted check out the link below. The drop from a 16mp camera to a 12 mp camera wasn't a deal breaker but I was in the end like WHY? they invested in redisigning the camera app but downgraded the hardware it would use. then there are SpO2 detector and th IR solar level detctor weren't enough...not useless, but almost not used and yet expenmsivce hardware feature to add on, as if this weren't enough they come back withan iris scanner. Why? Only the top of the top security entrance s in the world use retianl ampping biometrics as a means of identification. Why on a smart phone. an approval on a smartphon will not lend the same credibility as the one the dept of Defense spent a million or so developing.
What I guess I am saying is that they need to trime the whistles and focus on the bells.
The OP had it right that the first few days are going to be phenomenal, and another subsequent poster sau=id that without these launches and hype the phones would not sell.

I reccomend reading a little of the following article. It explains how large consumer a=rep bodies review the phones for a week and give them stellar reviews but when asked a couple weeks late their enthusiasm is quite lackluster.
HERE

I don't know but I expec that the INT'l users experience a lot less of these problems with lag. Also did you know that the Note 4 released in america for 80% or carrier markets, but certain markets got a dumbed down dual core slower than a Note 3.
I wnat to upgrade for certain reassons, better s-pen, water resistance, USB-C, and edge features, but only if T-Mo will finance me an international version of the phone. Otherwise I will wait with my note 5 for the Note 8.

PS Check these out about the less than stuopendous durability of Edge Model Gorilla Glass
HERE
HERE
AND
HERE

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
This is disconcerting to me but noo real surprise that this thread exists. i was contemplating the upgrade fro my note 5 but when I saw that US Variants werent going to get the Dual QWuad core 1.6Ghz/2.4Ghz 8890 snapdragon configuration but would rather be ofeered a slower quad core model I was heartbroken. The Note 5 had the Octa-core (rather Dual-quad Core) configuration and I haven't experience lag at all in just under a yearunles employing a particularly taxing themer. Before I Buy I always check a different well known forum that gave me the low down on what to expect. If you're intersted check out the link below. The drop from a 16mp camera to a 12 mp camera wasn't a deal breaker but I was in the end like WHY? they invested in redisigning the camera app but downgraded the hardware it would use. then there are SpO2 detector and th IR solar level detctor weren't enough...not useless, but almost not used and yet expenmsivce hardware feature to add on, as if this weren't enough they come back withan iris scanner. Why? Only the top of the top security entrance s in the world use retianl ampping biometrics as a means of identification. Why on a smart phone. an approval on a smartphon will not lend the same credibility as the one the dept of Defense spent a million or so developing.
What I guess I am saying is that they need to trime the whistles and focus on the bells.
The OP had it right that the first few days are going to be phenomenal, and another subsequent poster sau=id that without these launches and hype the phones would not sell.

I reccomend reading a little of the following article. It explains how large consumer a=rep bodies review the phones for a week and give them stellar reviews but when asked a couple weeks late their enthusiasm is quite lackluster.
HERE

I don't know but I expec that the INT'l users experience a lot less of these problems with lag. Also did you know that the Note 4 released in america for 80% or carrier markets, but certain markets got a dumbed down dual core slower than a Note 3.
I wnat to upgrade for certain reassons, better s-pen, water resistance, USB-C, and edge features, but only if T-Mo will finance me an international version of the phone. Otherwise I will wait with my note 5 for the Note 8.

PS Check these out about the less than stuopendous durability of Edge Model Gorilla Glass
HERE
HERE
AND
HERE
All issues have been fixed...your long statement should have been made when this thread first started....you seem better off waiting while we enjoy our note 7s

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I always do a clean install of all my apps and all my settings. I never transfer the setup from one phone to another.
I use Package Disabler Pro, but can get a similar result just uninstalling/disabling bloatware.
Always turn animations off - my preference.

Original Note 7: perfect, no lag. Very snappy!
Replacement Note 7: exactly the same: perfect, no lag. Very snappy!!

There are so many user-specific variables that can introduce lag, it's really difficult to resolve remotely.
Plus, it's altogether possible that some devices get into the wild that exhibit lag for whatever reason.

As I said earlier, do your best to resolve given the info in this thread. If the lag is still there, replace, or move on.

accordex#AC

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Got mine again yesterday. Installed everything after receiving the update and doing a hard reset. We'll see how it goes

Already noticed some minor stutters, and slight delay when clicking an app to open it, just like the previous one, tho not as bad. I think it's just Samsung, it will never be completely smooth. I hope it's better than the last one/pre update, because that was unbearable. My games still load faster on the Tab S2 Snap Dragon 652, so maybe, few more updates and things will get better.

I can tell you, even with a fresh install and transitions turned to .5, the $400 Honor 8 is still 100% noticeably faster in every aspect. Installing apps, loading apps, opening/scrolling web pages, and mainly switching between power intensive apps...

I also know, that some people are just not susceptible to the slowness/lag. 2 co workers have the Note and when I asked them if their's lags they said no, and when I looked at their phones, they were sluggish, and when they played with the Honor 8 a week later after I returned my note, both noticed right away how much snappier it was. Too bad it has 5.2" screen. I really need a 5.5"+ phone. It's amazing what a difference that little amount actually makes in screen real-estate.

I think at this point, I have to decide, if I really like the Note that much, I have to just deal with an overall slower phone / stuttering or buy something else once and for all like the Moto Z, which everyone seems to say is as smooth as a phone can get, and it has the option for wireless charging and Moto Display stuff, to trade off waterproof/always on display.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Just to make some things clear.

Lag is defined as a noticeable delay between an action or command that is being sent and the expected response that said action should reproduce.

For instance, tapping an app icon but it not doing anything for about a second or two before the app-open animation plays is defined as lag. However, if you tap the app icon but the animation takes a while, that's not actually "lag" in that definition. It just means that the animation is just too long. Likewise, if the phone responds to the action of tapping the app icon with the animation quickly but the app itself takes a while to load, it's usually because the phone is loading the app from storage to memory and the processor is processing data in order to make the app work. That means if your phone has a weaker processor and a slower memory controller like eMMC that's below 5.0 or even 5.1, you will notice a delay in how long it takes for an app to load. Most flagship Androids of 2016 currently use the much-faster UFS 2.0 storage controller, though it's also worth noting that the iPhone uses an even-faster NVMe-based controller.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Just to make some things clear.

Lag is defined as a noticeable delay between an action or command that is being sent and the expected response that said action should reproduce.

For instance, tapping an app icon but it not doing anything for about a second or two before the app-open animation plays is defined as lag. However, if you tap the app icon but the animation takes a while, that's not actually "lag" in that definition. It just means that the animation is just too long. Likewise, if the phone responds to the action of tapping the app icon with the animation quickly but the app itself takes a while to load, it's usually because the phone is loading the app from storage to memory and the processor is processing data in order to make the app work. That means if your phone has a weaker processor and a slower memory controller like eMMC that's below 5.0 or even 5.1, you will notice a delay in how long it takes for an app to load. Most flagship Androids of 2016 currently use the much-faster UFS 2.0 storage controller, though it's also worth noting that the iPhone uses an even-faster NVMe-based controller.

Somebody come on here and posted this link.
Have you done it ?

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/speed-up-your-android-by-adjusting-animation-settings/

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
On my original Note7, I would type and the keyboard would miss some key presses, resulting in extremely long times to type anything. I don't see that issue so far with the new one. I think the display has better sensitivity than the original. Probably part of the update.

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
People really don't know the difference between lag and longer animations....my tmobile note 7 device so far has been lag free with only slight stutters during app installations which is typical on any Android device...both of my iPad pro's larger and smaller can exhibit stuttering at times and the new animations with ios 10 lag a bit now too....

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
People really don't know the difference between lag and longer animations....my tmobile note 7 device so far has been lag free with only slight stutters during app installations which is typical on any Android device...both of my iPad pro's larger and smaller can exhibit stuttering at times and the new animations with ios 10 lag a bit now too....
Same story on mine.

My iPad (Pro 12.9) is fast, but does have its chugging moments.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
How do I turn off animations?

thx
Settings about device tap 7 times on build number, now back to settings you just enabled developer options, open and ajust
4e8774609893bac20ecf7b1d2dedc00e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon