08-31-2016 08:15 AM
96 1234
tools
    I like Samsung and Android pay, but I have to say Apple pay still destroys them both in terms of ease of use. There's no swiping up or logging in. You just put the phone up to the terminal, it recognizes what you're doing, displays the credit card icon, and you authorize with your fingerprint. Android pay is close with the Nexus 6P in that the fingerprint scanner is on the back, and the NFC antennae is right up at the top, like the Iphone.
    Actually Apple Pay doesn't work with magnetic strip reading terminals at all whereas Samsung Pay does. In fact with a trick to activate gas pump card readers Samsung Pay even works at the gas pump. So while Apple Pay may have less steps for use with chip reader terminals it is useless on the older and far more common magnetic strip readers.
    Zaku77 likes this.
    08-25-2016 10:40 AM
    I like Samsung and Android pay, but I have to say Apple pay still destroys them both in terms of ease of use. There's no swiping up or logging in. You just put the phone up to the terminal, it recognizes what you're doing, displays the credit card icon, and you authorize with your fingerprint. Android pay is close with the Nexus 6P in that the fingerprint scanner is on the back, and the NFC antennae is right up at the top, like the Iphone.
    I disagree 100%. I would take a swipe up then fingerprint any day for the convenience of using Samsung Pay on any card reader versus Apple Pay having to use NFC only or you can't use it.
    keepnitreel likes this.
    08-25-2016 10:49 AM
    SP is Magic!!!!!!!
    08-25-2016 10:51 AM
    Samsung pay is awesome, and I just found out you can swipe up from the home button on the always on display as well and it works great. Have to see how nfc with screen locked works, I am assuming it triggers android pay.
    08-25-2016 10:59 AM
    Actually Apple Pay doesn't work with magnetic strip reading terminals at all whereas Samsung Pay does. In fact with a trick to activate gas pump card readers Samsung Pay even works at the gas pump. So while Apple Pay may have less steps for use with chip reader terminals it is useless on the older and far more common magnetic strip readers.
    I was simply talking about ease of use, and know that Apple Pay doesn't work everywhere and only uses NFC.

I disagree 100%. I would take a swipe up then fingerprint any day for the convenience of using Samsung Pay on any card reader versus Apple Pay having to use NFC only or you can't use it.
    Fair point. I also like the convenience, and the fact that I can use Samsung pay just about anywhere. I just don't like the delay in swiping up, but that's just me. When using it today, I swipe up, the phone lagged slightly, there was a slight delay, then it prompted for my fingerprint( all the while the cashier is asking if I swiped my card yet). Samsung Pay is nice and I like it but, I still like the way Apple pay works better.

In fairness to Samsung Pay however, the way I think loopPay works (the technology that allows it to scan magnetic card readers) you have to have a way of choosing between it or NFC, so swiping up is probably the only way. It wouldn't surprise me if Apple had a patent on the way Apple Pay works.
    bhatech likes this.
    08-25-2016 01:48 PM
    I was simply talking about ease of use, and know that Apple Pay doesn't work everywhere and only uses NFC.

Fair point. I also like the convenience, and the fact that I can use Samsung pay just about anywhere. I just don't like the delay in swiping up, but that's just me. When using it today, I swipe up, the phone lagged slightly, there was a slight delay, then it prompted for my fingerprint( all the while the cashier is asking if I swiped my card yet). Samsung Pay is nice and I like it but, I still like the way Apple pay works better.

In fairness to Samsung Pay however, the way I think loopPay works (the technology that allows it to scan magnetic card readers) you have to have a way of choosing between it or NFC, so swiping up is probably the only way. It wouldn't surprise me if Apple had a patent on the way Apple Pay works.
    Actually, it is Samsung who purchased the company had the patents and the hardware to allow for use with magnetic strip terminals.
    You don't have to choose which method within the app to use with Samsung Pay as both NFC and magnetic strip methods are activated by opening the app. If you want to use magnetic strip you put the phone near the strip reading slot, if you are at a Tap n Pay reader you tab the appropriate area on the reader, and it has a card chip slot you put the pone by the slot, and let the magic happen.
    The Android Central Samsung Pay Forum has lots of good information by some very tech savvy folks concerning this.
    08-25-2016 04:41 PM

Actually, it is Samsung who purchased the company had the patents and the hardware to allow for use with magnetic strip terminals.
    You don't have to choose which method within the app to use with Samsung Pay as both NFC and magnetic strip methods are activated by opening the app. If you want to use magnetic strip you put the phone near the strip reading slot, if you are at a Tap n Pay reader you tab the appropriate area on the reader, and it has a card chip slot you put the pone by the slot, and let the magic happen.
    The Android Central Samsung Pay Forum has lots of good information by some very tech savvy folks concerning this.

MODERATOR: kindly remove this duplicate post. Thanks.
    08-25-2016 04:41 PM
    I've been using Samsung Pay since my old S6E days, I was one of the early beta testers in fact. It's an awesome awesome thing. And I find the Note 7 is much quicker and much more reliable than S6E/S7/S7E. Works every time, all my cards are supported.
    08-25-2016 05:27 PM
    I went back and re-read my post, and I didn't mean it the way you interpreted it. . I know the basics about Samsung Pay, and how it works. By choosing, I only meant how the technology may work, using NFC or LoopPay, in that swiping up enables whatever it's pushing out of the phone, allowing you to choose between where you need to position the phone, depending on the terminal.

With Apple Pay you just put the phone next to the terminal near the appropriate area, and the phone automatically recognizes this. You then just authenticate with your fingerprint. You don't have to unlock the phone or swipe anything, just position your phone and tap your finger on the home button. This make is more easier and seamless from my experience..

Samsung pay would be even more awesome IMO if you could do it that way. Just position your phone in the appropriate area, weather using NFC or the magnetic method, and tap the home button with your finger.

The point I was trying to make was maybe Apple had the patent for doing it exactly that way, which is why Samsung doesn't do it. Or, since Samsung pay uses two different technologies, it has to be done the way they implement it (swiping up) I'm not sure. I will check the area on the forums you mentioned, because I'm interested in all that stuff and would like to know more.
    08-25-2016 05:29 PM
    Samsung Pay is excellent. The only times I have used Samsung Pay and it didn't work was with the card readers you can get that attach to Apple devices and one time while getting a haircut and I think that time was my fault.
    08-25-2016 05:30 PM
    I would like to give it a try. I just keep getting "Connection error" when ever I try to add my card. Maybe Samsung servers are having a problem? My card is supposedly supported. Anyone else?
    08-25-2016 05:35 PM
    I would like to give it a try. I just keep getting "Connection error" when ever I try to add my card. Maybe Samsung servers are having a problem? My card is supposedly supported. Anyone else?
    Did you monkey around with packsge disabler? I dsabled a bunch of packages on my old S7 and samsung pay broke as a result.
    08-25-2016 05:37 PM
    Did you monkey around with packsge disabler? I dsabled a bunch of packages on my old S7 and samsung pay broke as a result.
    No, never installed package disabler. I did disable a couple things though, let me check that out...

Edit: No, don't see anything...
    Edit2: went into Settings and Reset the app and tried again. Success!
    08-25-2016 05:39 PM
    No, never installed package disabler. I did disable a couple things though, let me check that out...

Edit: No, don't see anything...
    Edit2: went into Settings and Reset the app and tried again. Success!
    Cool. You will really like it. Samsung pay is awesome, very convenient.
    08-25-2016 06:09 PM
    With Apple Pay you just put the phone next to the terminal near the appropriate area, and the phone automatically recognizes this. You then just authenticate with your fingerprint. You don't have to unlock the phone or swipe anything, just position your phone and tap your finger on the home button. This make is more easier and seamless from my experience..

Samsung pay would be even more awesome IMO if you could do it that way. Just position your phone in the appropriate area, weather using NFC or the magnetic method, and tap the home button with your finger.
    Just curious - how do you determine which card you're using with Apple Pay if that's how it works? Or do you set up a default card or something?
    08-25-2016 06:36 PM
    Just curious - how do you determine which card you're using with Apple Pay if that's how it works? Or do you set up a default card or something?
    Yeah, you have a default card, usually the first one you put in the system, but you can change which one is the default. When put the phone by the NFC terminal, a picture or depiction of the default card shows up. Samsung Pay is similar to Apple Pay, in that you don't have to unlock the screen to use it.
    08-25-2016 07:08 PM
    Apple pay or Android pay does not present the same value to me. I have nothing against them, but not having to worry about whether the store has an NFC terminal is a huge game changer. Period.
    08-25-2016 07:13 PM
    NFC can be programmed to work the way you describe because of the way NFC works. There is a secure chip in the reader that connects, activates the phone, asks for your approval and then transfers of information. The key is a specialized terinal that activates the phone. These are still rare.

For MST, there is nothing on the reader to activate Samsung Pay -- which is the absolute beauty of it. Of course they could have your phone constatantly broadcasting your info so it would just work when you put it up to the terminal . . . Clearly the wrong thing to do on so many levels. As a result, since the terminal cannot activate your phone, you need to.
    qnet and Almeuit like this.
    08-25-2016 08:02 PM
    Just discovered that Samsung pay works at the vending machine. This is awesome.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-26-2016 01:12 AM
    Yes, the watch prompted me to download Samsung pay beta

Attachment 236885Attachment 236886Attachment 236887

It is also in the gear app

Attachment 236889
    A Samsung rep told me that it wasn't supported with the note 7 yet. I get an access denied when trying to use Samsung Pay on my gear s2 classic. Did you have success with it?
    08-26-2016 03:51 AM
    ....and a lot of merchants don't allow Samsung Pay. ShopRite and Home Depot are two major ones (small mom and pop stores block it too) where they ask for the card to be inserted in the chip reader to perform the transaction. It's pretty disappointing that these merchants don't allow it.
    I've used mine at home depot with no issues.
    08-26-2016 03:55 AM
    I'd love to try out Samsung Pay, but I'm not signing up for an AMEX card just to do it. Come on Samsung, surely you can get more banks and cards on side!
    08-26-2016 04:49 AM
    has anyone been able to get Samsung pay to work at Sam's club gas station?
    i was kinda bummed out that i couldn't use the Samsung visa rewards i got to use get gas.. THOUGHHHHH it did work out better when i went to Olive garden. There was $5 off promo if you pay with SP. So thank you Samsung for the lunch. lol
    fine print says one per day. hehehe thinking today is a great day for delicious breadsticks.
    Samsung Pay not what I imagined.-20160825_113150-1-.jpgSamsung Pay not what I imagined.-20160826_055921-1-.jpg
    skatergirl likes this.
    08-26-2016 06:03 AM
    At least you guys have up here we just got Apple Pay and many retailers haven't upgraded their terminal.

Samsung Pay is supposed to be easier and cheaper for retailers right?
    08-26-2016 06:19 AM
    Samsung pay is a game changer, so convenient. It's so much faster than the chip readers.

I love the reaction I get when the person working at the store says "Oh that won't work here" and then I do it and they start asking a bunch of questions. Apple pay is far behind because most terminals don't accept it yet.
    08-26-2016 06:40 AM
96 1234