Samsung Pay not what I imagined.

rajeeee

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
I thought Samsung pay could automatically magnetically read any (credit) card I want and then magnetically replay it at payment terminal at command. Turns out it's limited to only a supported list of credit cards and store cards, which sadly doesn't seem to include discover card.
Will an app be able to do what I imagined ?

Last edited:

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Not even all cards from the same back are supported but I am anxious to use it anyway and fortunately my main card is supported.

Posted via the Android Central App

dobo84

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I thought Samsung pay could automatically magnetically read any (credit) card I want and then magnetically replay it at payment terminal at command. Turns out its limited to only a supported list of credit cards and store cards, which sadly doesn't seem to include discover card.

Likely not , Ive tried at several stores with limited success

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
No app will be able to do that because it's a security risk. The reason banks have to be on board is because they use a token system and that has to be approved by your bank. Without that, Samsung Pay would be very easy to spoof and more fraud could occur. So while what you're saying is possible, no company would ever do it

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
It's a bummer that your card doesn't work but when you have one that does work it's a pretty glorious thing. Completely blew our servers mind at Dave & Busters when I held my phone next to the cc swipe mechanism on the server station register and it worked! The $20 Samsung bonus card I got right away was a nice bonus too.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I've been patiently waiting for over a year for Samsung pay to work with my bank. Seems not many banks are on board with it yet.

Sdn2995

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
It did not work well at first but has improved very much since it first came out. The problems some have may have to do with the cashier or server. Sometimes they have to tell the register that you are using a debit card for it to work and sometimes just doing it twice will work. Now i use the MST tech not the NFC I have not tried it at all, and aside from when i had to hand my card over i used samsung pay on my vacation with no problems and no I was not in a major city.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
It's a bummer that your card doesn't work but when you have one that does work it's a pretty glorious thing. Completely blew our servers mind at Dave & Busters when I held my phone next to the cc swipe mechanism on the server station register and it worked! The $20 Samsung bonus card I got right away was a nice bonus too.

I was in the Samsung Pay Beta Program last year (or the year before) and as you said, we were "Blowing peoples minds" only back then, we had to try not to let them know it was blowing our own minds as well!!! :)

Cmikos

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I have been using it since I got my Note on Fri. It works great. I love it. However I feel your pain. It works with my bank but not my credit union. Hopefully the smaller banks will see its success and get on board.

Posted via the Android Central App

Turbo Brian

May 21, 2011
Visit site
if you want to use your discover, try android pay instead. i have my discover in there. granted, that doesnt help if you're trying to get the $20 promo deal thru samsung pay, but if you're just looking for mobile pay in general, ive used android pay with good results.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I love Samsung pay - and they seem to be adding a lot of banks regularly. My primary card are AmEx anyway, which is supported, but I also have Chase and CitiBank cards on it as well. Even when the terminal has a NFC reader, I often just put it against the card swipe reader to get it done. I forget that Samsung Pay also supports NFC and not just the magnetic stripe. lol!

The only downside, and this is not Samsung Pay, but anything NFC - is that it won't work if you have a battery case like Mophie on it since it's blocking the NFC antenna.... Wish there was a way around it without removing the phone from the case.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I love Samsung pay - and they seem to be adding a lot of banks regularly. My primary card are AmEx anyway, which is supported, but I also have Chase and CitiBank cards on it as well. Even when the terminal has a NFC reader, I often just put it against the card swipe reader to get it done. I forget that Samsung Pay also supports NFC and not just the magnetic stripe. lol!

The only downside, and this is not Samsung Pay, but anything NFC - is that it won't work if you have a battery case like Mophie on it since it's blocking the NFC antenna.... Wish there was a way around it without removing the phone from the case.
You can always use a gear s2...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I thought Samsung pay could automatically magnetically read any (credit) card I want and then magnetically replay it at payment terminal at command. Turns out it's limited to only a supported list of credit cards and store cards, which sadly doesn't seem to include discover card.

Yes -- your card must be supported by Samsung Pay. Once it is then yes it will work like it should. This isn't any different than other payment methods like Apple Pay.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Fun hearing the Sheetz rep when I paid with my phone at her old card terminal: " I didnt even know we were capable of doing that"

twmanga1

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
This right here. I didn't use Android Pay at all because they didn't have Chase. Now, I rarely pull out my cards since Samsung Pay works for me. Waiting to get to the point when Chase ATM's will work with it (or with the Chase app, whichever comes first).