Samsung Pay not what I imagined.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I would like to give it a try. I just keep getting "Connection error" when ever I try to add my card. Maybe Samsung servers are having a problem? My card is supposedly supported. Anyone else?

xxaarraa

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
I would like to give it a try. I just keep getting "Connection error" when ever I try to add my card. Maybe Samsung servers are having a problem? My card is supposedly supported. Anyone else?

Did you monkey around with packsge disabler? I dsabled a bunch of packages on my old S7 and samsung pay broke as a result.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Did you monkey around with packsge disabler? I dsabled a bunch of packages on my old S7 and samsung pay broke as a result.

No, never installed package disabler. I did disable a couple things though, let me check that out...

Edit: No, don't see anything...
Edit2: went into Settings and Reset the app and tried again. Success!

xxaarraa

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
No, never installed package disabler. I did disable a couple things though, let me check that out...

Edit: No, don't see anything...
Edit2: went into Settings and Reset the app and tried again. Success!

Cool. You will really like it. Samsung pay is awesome, very convenient.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
With Apple Pay you just put the phone next to the terminal near the appropriate area, and the phone automatically recognizes this. You then just authenticate with your fingerprint. You don't have to unlock the phone or swipe anything, just position your phone and tap your finger on the home button. This make is more easier and seamless from my experience..

Samsung pay would be even more awesome IMO if you could do it that way. Just position your phone in the appropriate area, weather using NFC or the magnetic method, and tap the home button with your finger.

Just curious - how do you determine which card you're using with Apple Pay if that's how it works? Or do you set up a default card or something?

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Just curious - how do you determine which card you're using with Apple Pay if that's how it works? Or do you set up a default card or something?

Yeah, you have a default card, usually the first one you put in the system, but you can change which one is the default. When put the phone by the NFC terminal, a picture or depiction of the default card shows up. Samsung Pay is similar to Apple Pay, in that you don't have to unlock the screen to use it.

xxaarraa

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Apple pay or Android pay does not present the same value to me. I have nothing against them, but not having to worry about whether the store has an NFC terminal is a huge game changer. Period.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Samsung pay would be even more awesome IMO if you could do it that way. Just position your phone in the appropriate area, weather using NFC or the magnetic method, and tap the home button with your finger.

NFC can be programmed to work the way you describe because of the way NFC works. There is a secure chip in the reader that connects, activates the phone, asks for your approval and then transfers of information. The key is a specialized terinal that activates the phone. These are still rare.

For MST, there is nothing on the reader to activate Samsung Pay -- which is the absolute beauty of it. Of course they could have your phone constatantly broadcasting your info so it would just work when you put it up to the terminal . . . Clearly the wrong thing to do on so many levels. As a result, since the terminal cannot activate your phone, you need to.

nobrakes

May 16, 2010
Visit site
....and a lot of merchants don't allow Samsung Pay. ShopRite and Home Depot are two major ones (small mom and pop stores block it too) where they ask for the card to be inserted in the chip reader to perform the transaction. It's pretty disappointing that these merchants don't allow it.
I've used mine at home depot with no issues.

bushy73

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
I'd love to try out Samsung Pay, but I'm not signing up for an AMEX card just to do it. Come on Samsung, surely you can get more banks and cards on side!

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
has anyone been able to get Samsung pay to work at Sam's club gas station?
i was kinda bummed out that i couldn't use the Samsung visa rewards i got to use get gas.. THOUGHHHHH it did work out better when i went to Olive garden. There was $5 off promo if you pay with SP. So thank you Samsung for the lunch. lol
fine print says one per day. hehehe thinking today is a great day for delicious breadsticks.
20160825_113150[1].jpg20160826_055921[1].jpg

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
At least you guys have up here we just got Apple Pay and many retailers haven't upgraded their terminal.

Samsung Pay is supposed to be easier and cheaper for retailers right?

naturalguy

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Samsung pay is a game changer, so convenient. It's so much faster than the chip readers.

I love the reaction I get when the person working at the store says "Oh that won't work here" and then I do it and they start asking a bunch of questions. Apple pay is far behind because most terminals don't accept it yet.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
has anyone been able to get Samsung pay to work at Sam's club gas station?
i was kinda bummed out that i couldn't use the Samsung visa rewards i got to use get gas.. THOUGHHHHH it did work out better when i went to Olive garden. There was $5 off promo if you pay with SP. So thank you Samsung for the lunch. lol
fine print says one per day. hehehe thinking today is a great day for delicious breadsticks.
View attachment 237219View attachment 237220

So where did you see the Olive Garden promo? At Olive Garden or on the Samsung Pay app?

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
At least you guys have up here we just got Apple Pay and many retailers haven't upgraded their terminal.

Samsung Pay is supposed to be easier and cheaper for retailers right?

Yes, Samsung Pay works with the new AND old terminals. Retailers don't have to change anything for it to work. Android Pay and Apple Pay are both stuck on NFC enabled terminals.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173