Conditioning Battery? Is it a myth?

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I am wondering if it's good to drain the battery fully once in while, or recharge on regular rate charge every once in a while? Are these tips good or a myth?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I used to work in quality control and production for a battery company (Exide), so have some knowledge.

-Conditioning optimization is during the build and charging process of the battery batch.
-It might help the battery gauge algorithm (if uses regression) of the device (percentage accuracy).
-Battery life is not helped, since the capacitance is already defined based on the build quality and charging process before packaging.

The main variable for battery life for usage charge and actual recharge life is heat. Heat is a battery's Krypton.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
What's the reasoning? Because of the type of battery? So it will just lose the ability to hold charge over time?

There are a large number of batteries types out there. That is the first point, and Smartphone batteries are more advanced than the rechargeable AA you can get at the drug store. Secondly, remember that your slarthphone is, well, smart. People don't often realize how smart the phone is. The phone communicates with the charger, and voltages adjust and charging circuits get stepped up, and down, and even off, The device is anylizing current, etc, and making good choices for you.

So leave your battery be (though it won't hurt if you cycle your battery from time to time). Having said that, it does take a couple days for your battery to reach maximum efficiency.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The main variable for battery life for usage charge and actual recharge life is heat. Heat is a battery's Krypton.
This. In the case of Li-ion and lipo batteries, such as in the phones, full and 0% charge levels also play a roll. You don't want to leave it fully charged all the time, nor do you want to fully drain it. It speeds up the internal degradation.

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
So, two things... 1) As mentioned above the battery guage. My last phone, Note Edge would read around 8% then quickly jump to 3 and seconds later shut off. That's why I asked about this phone and cycling the battery from time to time. 2) I wonder if there is a fast charge widget available? For example...I dont need to fast charge at night. But I don't want to dig through settings every time I charger the phone.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
So, two things... 1) As mentioned above the battery guage. My last phone, Note Edge would read around 8% then quickly jump to 3 and seconds later shut off. That's why I asked about this phone and cycling the battery from time to time. 2) I wonder if there is a fast charge widget available? For example...I dont need to fast charge at night. But I don't want to dig through settings every time I charger the phone.
Cycling can help if you think it needs a calibration, but seeing jumps like that are often a sign of the battery going bad.

Makad

May 9, 2010
Visit site
My understanding is
1. Do not to leave the phone on the charger long after if reaches 100%
2. Take it off the charger ideally between 80% and 95%
3. Don't let the battery run all the way down too often
4. Ideally put the phone on the charger when it gets below 50%

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
My understanding is
1. Do not to leave the phone on the charger long after if reaches 100%
2. Take it off the charger ideally between 80% and 95%
3. Don't let the battery run all the way down too often
4. Ideally put the phone on the charger when it gets below 50%

Can anyone else confirm number 4 is good?

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I regularly use lipo batteries for other hobbies in in my life. You don't have to unplug it at 100%, the phone essentially does that for you. To keep a lipo battery in good shape, ideally you'd like to charge it at about 20-25% each time. If you're storing the phone, do so at about 75%. Otherwise, your battery shouldn't need to be actually conditioned.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone else confirm number 4 is good?
Ideally, it would be great to hold about a 50% charge if you simply wanted to leave it plugged in all day. In fact, one of the Battery University articles I read mentioned some emergency devices that need to be always at the ready without sacrificing a lot of life have special chargers that don't charge to what we would consider full.

The seeming universal rule of thumb for lithium based rechargeables is the 20% rule. If you go below that, the chance of losing capacity starts to greatly increase. Most suggestions I see around here, and what I also promote is to plug it in before you hit 30% for a little extra buffer room.

Being a non-removable battery in the Note 7, I'd consider plugging in at 40% and unplugging about 90% whenever feasible because I'd want to baby that battery so it lasts as long as possible. On my current G4, I don't care near as much. If it goes bad, I'll just pop in another.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc