08-25-2016 09:15 PM
40 12
tools
    I'm new to Android after 10 year absence.

What is the advantage, purpose/benefit of a 3rd party "launcher"?

THANKS. Peace. Alan
    08-24-2016 10:02 AM
    That's just not enough info. But still...

Peace. Alan
    While it may not be enough info, it really is the correct answer.

You can:
    increase the grid size ...from 6x5 up to 8 x 7 rows and columns of icons.
    change the grid size of the app drawer from 4x4 up to 6x6
    change icon sizes, have labels on the icons, etc
    ad gestures to icons...for example set your Internet icon to automatically go to search when you swipe up on the icon, etc
    Increase the dock to have up to 7 icons and create up to 3 docks, and move the app drawer icon
    backup and restore your launcher settings.

there is much more but I think those things alone make it a much more robust launcher.
    ^^^ customization 🙄
    pkcable likes this.
    08-24-2016 10:06 AM
    ^^^ customization

Peace. Alan
    08-24-2016 10:10 AM

Peace. Alan
    While it may not be enough info, it really is the correct answer.

You can:
    increase the grid size ...from 6x5 up to 8 x 7 rows and columns of icons.
    change the grid size of the app drawer from 4x4 up to 6x6
    change icon sizes, have labels on the icons, etc
    ad gestures to icons...for example set your Internet icon to automatically go to search when you swipe up on the icon, etc
    Increase the dock to have up to 7 icons and create up to 3 docks, and move the app drawer icon
    backup and restore your launcher settings.

there is much more but I think those things alone make it a much more robust launcher.
    08-24-2016 10:20 AM

Peace. Alan

Ok

there's so much literature about Nova Prime launcher out there....

My top 5 reasons why I love Nova Prime

1. "Lock Desktop" once activated you cannot accidentally move or delete apps by mistake on home screens.

2. Scroll effects.

3. Unread counts with Notifyer+

4. Looks beautiful

5. Multiple folders to choose from.
    libra89, jdfry15 and akhil8 like this.
    08-24-2016 10:23 AM
    Ok

there's so much literature about Nova Prime launcher out there....

My top 5 reasons why I love Nova Prime

1. "Lock Desktop" once activated you cannot accidentally move or delete apps by mistake on home screens.

2. Scroll effects.

3. Unread counts with Notifyer+

4. Looks beautiful

5. Multiple folders to choose from.
    So THAT's the advantage of a 3rd party launcher. Ok.
    What does Nova Prime REPLACE then?

Peace. Alan
    08-24-2016 10:27 AM
    My favorites are custom folder icons, custom row/column and allowing continuous scroll of pages. By continuous scroll I mean say you only have 3 pages created, you scroll from right to left and once you are on the 3rd page it just stops, you then have to scroll left to right or hit the home button. With Nova, once you hit the 3rd page continue swiping and you are back on the first... this also works with the app drawer. Not earth shattering but it's the simple things like this that Nova provides which makes using this phone a better experience in my opinion.
    08-24-2016 10:30 AM

Peace. Alan
    Replace? It is just another layer on top of Touchwiz, on top of Android.

It is just another way of interacting with your phone. Unlike IOS , which basically all phones are the same when it comes to looks and navigation.

I hope this makes sense lol
    Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    08-24-2016 10:31 AM
    My favorites are custom folder icons, custom row/column and allowing continuous scroll of pages. By continuous scroll I mean say you only have 3 pages created, you scroll from right to left and once you are on the 3rd page it just stops, you then have to scroll left to right or hit the home button. With Nova, once you hit the 3rd page continue swiping and you are back on the first... this also works with the app drawer. Not earth shattering but it's the simple things like this that Nova provides which makes using this phone a better experience in my opinion.
    My friend THAT'S an answer. I've been to the Play Store and read all there and looked at the graphics. But can you tell me why some people seem to imply that its a great performance enhancer is if was a "lag" preventative as well?

Thanks. Peace. Alan
    08-24-2016 10:36 AM
    Replace? It is just another layer on top of Touchwiz, on top of Android.

It is just another way of interacting with your phone. Unlike IOS , which basically all phones are the same when it comes to looks and navigation.

I hope this makes sense lol
    That does makes sense.

Thanks. Peace. Alan
    Carlo Villa likes this.
    08-24-2016 10:37 AM
    TOUCHWIZ homescreen

NOVA PRIME homescreen

akhil8 likes this.
    08-24-2016 10:41 AM
    You've ALL been very kind.

I get it now AND I will get/buy it later.

THANKS so much to all.

Peace. Alan
    08-24-2016 10:45 AM
    Do launchers like Nova Prime slow down the phone at all?
    08-24-2016 10:53 AM
    Are you still using the stock calendar app with Nova? I noticed it's a different icon and the date is actually correct. On my phone with Nova, the date on the calendar app always displays 30. I realize that's probably a limitation of going from Touchwiz to Nova, just wondering how you were able to do that if it's the stock app.
    08-24-2016 11:31 AM

Peace. Alan
    It replaces the touchwiz launcher(you can actually disable tw launcher with Nova installed)
    Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    08-24-2016 11:47 AM
    Are you still using the stock calendar app with Nova? I noticed it's a different icon and the date is actually correct. On my phone with Nova, the date on the calendar app always displays 30. I realize that's probably a limitation of going from Touchwiz to Nova, just wondering how you were able to do that if it's the stock app.
    Very good observation, no I am not using the stock calendar app.

I am using " today calendar widget " Cause it is the only app that will show the current date for today

08-24-2016 11:50 AM
    It replaces the touchwiz launcher(you can actually disable tw launcher with Nova installed)
    Thank YOU very much for that. Somehow - letting Nova Prime ride on top of TW didn't seem very tech savvy.

Peace. Alan
    08-24-2016 11:52 AM
    Not at all , smooth as butter
    08-24-2016 11:52 AM

I am using " today calendar widget " Cause it is the only app that will show the current date for today

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...a3a915a292.jpg
    Great, thank you!
    Carlo Villa likes this.
    08-24-2016 11:53 AM
    I can tell you that Nova doesn't. I've used it on every phone I've had for the last 3 or 4 years. Other launchers might slow the phone down. I don't know as I don't mess with any others very much.
    08-24-2016 11:53 AM
    How?

Posted via the Android Central App
    recDNA likes this.
    08-24-2016 12:46 PM
    Nova is probably the most popular, but there's many others. If you don't mind spending the money, give Next 3D a look if you want something unique (admittedly it is probably the most expensive at US$16). Full 3D effects for most everything and runs smooth on any flagship phone.

My basic home screen
    3rd Party Launcher like Nova Prime?-1472065513112.jpg

With a single finger swipe up or down, I can access the app drawer (shown mid swipe between drawer screens).
    3rd Party Launcher like Nova Prime?-1472065636475.jpg

If I need my dock for some reason, which is rare through a mix of gesture controls and the G4's Qslide options, it's a two finger up or down swipe.
    3rd Party Launcher like Nova Prime?-1472065718835.jpg

Loads of customization with different themes and icon packs as well. The cost does sting a little, but I bought it with my Google Rewards credits and nothing out of pocket.
    Attached Thumbnails 3rd Party Launcher like Nova Prime?-1472065577908.jpg  
    08-24-2016 02:11 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...a3a915a292.jpg
    I've been using Nova Prime for years, and the date has always been the current date (Notes 3, 4, 5, 10.1 & 12.2), but for some reason it's a static 31 with the Note 7. Gonna try to write to the developer, but thanks for that option if it's not resolvable.
    08-24-2016 02:32 PM
    I've been using Nova Prime for years, and the date has always been the current date (Notes 3, 4, 5, 10.1 & 12.2), but for some reason it's a static 31 with the Note 7. Gonna try to write to the developer, but thanks for that option if it's not resolvable.
    Really? I was never able to get the current date on the stock calendar app while using Nova, i always used Todays Calendar. 😮
    08-24-2016 02:40 PM
    How?

Posted via the Android Central App
    A launcher controls the home screen, app drawer, and sometimes some widgets(some launchers can have specific widgets like Nova does).

Samsung allows you to change the launcher (home screen) in the settings - applications - default applications - home screens menu

The touchwiz launcher can be disabled using package disabler pro or similar. But don't disable it unless you have a third party launcher installed or it can mess up your phone.

3rd Party Launcher like Nova Prime?-uploadfromtaptalk1472068475637.jpg3rd Party Launcher like Nova Prime?-uploadfromtaptalk1472068482095.jpg
    08-24-2016 02:56 PM
40 12