Ear piece sensor sucks?

bable

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
On every phone call the screen turns on and I change settings with my ear. When I try to hold it differently I can't hear people, which is more important than changing my settings. Is there a fix for this?

bable

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
No, do I need to? My note 4 struggled a little with this too so I'm sure I have either a weird hold or misshapen head but it wasn't this bad.

bassjo

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
What type of case do you have on your phone? My wife's older S4 used to have this issue but we found it was related to the otterbox case we had on it.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No, do I need to? My note 4 struggled a little with this too so I'm sure I have either a weird hold or misshapen head but it wasn't this bad.
It's not that it's needed. But, if you click the power button once after placing the call, it does reduce the chance of unintentional button pushes. With the exception of calling my bank, I lock the screen.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
What type of case do you have on your phone? My wife's older S4 used to have this issue but we found it was related to the otterbox case we had on it.

To the OP: this can be a possible cause too. I had a screen protector that made the screen ignore touches not work properly.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I foind that it was a positioning thing. I got so used to cheek presses on the screen in the old days, it became habit to hold the phone to my ear and then a slight amount away from my face closer to my mouth. With a device this large, you might not trip the proximity sensor. I have gotten better at it, and the screen stays off more.

The funny one is switching to speakerphone. When I set the device down,then reach towards the speaker button, I will pass in front of the sensor ans turn off the screen. You gotta sneak up to it from the bottom to push the button before the screen goes dark. Lol.