Note 7: S-Pen Tips and Tricks Full Tutorial

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Very nice overview and tutorial on the S-Pen. Those of you that are new to the note will enjoy. Others.... still good to watch.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to get into this when I get my N7. Playing with one it seems like they took away action memos which I use a lot.

There are a couple threads about that. There's an apk to get it back, and if Samsung updates the S Notes app on the Play store, not the Galaxy one to work with the Note 7 apparently it's there as well.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
There are a couple threads about that. There's an apk to get it back, and if Samsung updates the S Notes app on the Play store, not the Galaxy one to work with the Note 7 apparently it's there as well.

I was wondering if there was an app to do that.

There was an app in the Galaxy Store to bring back some functions of the Note 4 spen to the Note 5.

A lot of people don't use action memos, I use them daily though.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering if there was an app to do that.

There was an app in the Galaxy Store to bring back some functions of the Note 4 spen to the Note 5.

A lot of people don't use action memos, I use them daily though.

I've never used it because the 7 is my first Note. Supposedly Samsung is working on getting support for the 7 on the Play Store version of the app.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't use the s-pen a lot but the action menu option were you could write a number with the s-pen, then create a contact with it seems to be gone. I thought that was pretty awesome, and don't understand why they would leave that out. Something like that would seem to go right in line with using the s-pen.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
As msm0511 said, there are a couple of threads about this and on XDA someone posted the apk for a working copy of S Notes, which ultimately IS action notes. So Samsung Notes replaced S Notes except if you still want to create an action note you MUST have S Note installed (the version that was posted on XDA, as I was pushed an "update" to S Note via Galaxy that took away the function and had to manually reload it from the copy I saved from XDA).

So in order to do an action note now, with S Note installed you would pull your pen out and hold the button and double tap anywhere on your screen, which in turn would open up a "clean" memo with a yellow background (the yellow background is how you would know you are able to convert or assign to action...if you have the white background then you are in Samsung Note and you will NOT have action functionality). Create your note and assign action as you see fit, or you could expand the options on the bottom right...I believe in that menu there is a photo note capability along with some other things.

I hope I didn't further confuse people but I'm brand new to the Note and was very much looking forward to the action notes (old function "taken away") as well as the AOD note capability (which that is new function added with the 7). So in order to use actions you do have to kind of "think ahead" to execute it, unfortunately. If you KNOW you will want it to be an action note you MUST open S Note first or do the pen button double tap to open a new note (yellow background).

I really hope Samsung incorporates Action Notes back in so it's ONE app and you can convert to action on the fly rather than having to have two apps and "think ahead".

The only other thing I didn't see and I'm not sure it was ever there is the ability to create an action note that can create a new calendar event. The phone, email, internet and map functionality are still there. Oh, and tasks, which I find annoying as I'd rather have it be Reminders (or give me the choice). As far as I can tell Tasks doesn't actually do anything when selected.

Also, one other thing I'm unclear on if anyone can clarify...I've seen a few posts about the ability to take a note while on a phone call and then the note would somehow associate or attach to the call? How was this accomplished before Samsung Notes? I don't think it can be done at all now, even if you have S Note installed.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Very nice overview and tutorial on the S-Pen. Those of you that are new to the note will enjoy. Others.... still good to watch.

I also wanted to thank kilofoxtrot for this video post. I found it very helpful. I had bumbled my way through figuring it all out but I could have REALLY used this video a few days ago! Still I've favorited it for future use/reminder.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Also, one other thing I'm unclear on if anyone can clarify...I've seen a few posts about the ability to take a note while on a phone call and then the note would somehow associate or attach to the call? How was this accomplished before Samsung Notes? I don't think it can be done at all now, even if you have S Note installed.

That feature went away with the Note 4 or Note 5, can't remember the last one to utilize that. I know the Note 5 doesn't.

BazG

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
It seems they are removing functionality more than adding it. The new features are nice but action memo was so useful. Also Im curious in S- note there was a magnified pen function on the note 5. This made handwriting notes so easy, functional neat and fast. It doesn't seem to be in the new version. Anyone else found this?

I'm almost tempted to downgrade phone for this. Is it on the apk?.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21