Curved edges interfere with note taking

2ndHalfCor

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm a long-time Note user and take a lot notes with my device. I was disappointed at the downgrade of S Notes to Samsung Notes and the loss of the links to actions etc. But another problem I'm having with this phone is that when I'm taking notes, if I get too close to the curved edge with the stylus, it interferes with my writing strokes and catches the stylus tip. Effectively, it makes the width of writing area that much smaller. It already seemed narrower than the Note 5. Is anyone else having this problem? I thought of writing in landscape mode, but Samsung Notes doesn't scale right and leaves me with super wide ruling. Progress?

climb

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I feel your pain.......................

I noticed the reduced screen size while playing with the phone before purchase and as a heavy note taker the lack of capacitative responsiveness on edges is a definite step backward,but a needed sacrifice to enjoy the other substantial benefits of the edge functionality.

The good new is we can still download the Samsung note software from the note 5 and use one or the other.......whew!!!

Loving my sleek black note 7

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if this is a real concern or just observation. I've been taking notes since day 1 and haven't had a single issue. The curved display replaces what was once the edge. So is it affecting the actual writing?

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if this is a real concern or just observation. I've been taking notes since day 1 and haven't had a single issue. The curved display replaces what was once the edge. So is it affecting the actual writing?

Totally agree spasell - I find no difference in screen width and I already downloaded the old S Note app, grabbed the 7 or 8 saved notes from my Note 5 and brought them into my Note 7. It feels very comfortable to me with the sPen... don't think it's narrower at all!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Only thing I think I noticed with limited testing and it was on a Best Buy display unit.. My Note 5 seemed to ignore my hand resting on the screen better than the Note 7 did.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... so, it appears that "2ndHalfCor" is technically correct. I grabbed my Note 5 this morning and a ruler while having my morning coffee and brought them upstairs to compare the screen with my Note 7. I turned on the Note 5 just for light to measure the display width - it was ~70mm. I then opened S Note on my Note 7 and measured the display - ~74mm. Now, I slowly slid the S Pen up the curved edge until it leveled off, then immediately drew a vertical reference line. I did the same on the opposite side of the display. I now measured between the two vertical lines and got ~68mm - yes, about 2mm less apparent screen to write on I guess. 2ndHalfCor - you are correct, however, it still doesn't bother me. I have however noticed what Kelly Kearns just stated - I don't think I ever left a mark resting my had on the screen on my Note 5 but I have a couple of times with the Note 7!

Hoggles

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed a big difference with actual usable screen width. It's not nearly as much as my Note 5 using the S-pen. At least that's how it feels. Everything feels more narrow. Including simple web browsin, with or without S-pen . If there is any clickable button that is on the edge, you can't simply click it like you would on a flat display. You have to touch just ever so slightly away from the apex of the edge, or it won't register. That is a much more narrow experience...and something I notice daily. Makes the usable screen width of the N7, more like 5.3". That coupled with the other known edge issues of glare, text & image warp...and it's bumming me out a bit. Really missing the flatness... especially with the S-pen. I don't see any real world improvement by having a screen that bends away from you... And I'm trying to see. I tried with the S7e for 2 months. Drove me crazy.

I'm on Tom's JOD, so it's a bit easier for me...but I'm seriously considering eating the $50 restock fee and keeping my Note5. I just can't see using this edge display until the S8 release. I just hope and pray Sammy doesn't completely do away with flat screens on their flagships next year...or this loyal Sammy user may jump ship :(

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed a big difference with actual usable screen width. It's not nearly as much as my Note 5 using the S-pen. At least that's how it feels. Everything feels more narrow. Including simple web browsin, with or without S-pen . If there is any clickable button that is on the edge, you can't simply click it like you would on a flat display. You have to touch just ever so slightly away from the apex of the edge, or it won't register. That is a much more narrow experience...and something I notice daily. Makes the usable screen width of the N7, more like 5.3". That coupled with the other known edge issues of glare, text & image warp...and it's bumming me out a bit. Really missing the flatness... especially with the S-pen. I don't see any real world improvement by having a screen that bends away from you... And I'm trying to see. I tried with the S7e for 2 months. Drove me crazy.

I'm on Tom's JOD, so it's a bit easier for me...but I'm seriously considering eating the $50 restock fee and keeping my Note5. I just can't see using this edge display until the S8 release. I just hope and pray Sammy doesn't completely do away with flat screens on their flagships next year...or this loyal Sammy user may jump ship :(

I had the S6 Edge, about 3 weeks was all I could take of it. This seems better than it, but I would have preferred a Note and a Note edge.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
One thing that I've found that the curved edge HELPS, is when trying to move an icon from one desktop to another, I always had a problem when reaching the very edge of the flat screen, sometimes I couldn't get the screen to shift to the next desktop - now, with the curved edge, "BOOM", it smoothly slides on over to the next page for me! That's a Plus!

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm a long-time Note user and take a lot notes with my device. I was disappointed at the downgrade of S Notes to Samsung Notes and the loss of the links to actions etc. But another problem I'm having with this phone is that when I'm taking notes, if I get too close to the curved edge with the stylus, it interferes with my writing strokes and catches the stylus tip. Effectively, it makes the width of writing area that much smaller. It already seemed narrower than the Note 5. Is anyone else having this problem? I thought of writing in landscape mode, but Samsung Notes doesn't scale right and leaves me with super wide ruling. Progress?

This is the reason I haven't bought a Note 7. In one of the other threads asking what people didn't like so far, I asked if anyone was having this very problem with the edges.

I have a Note Edge and this was always one of the biggest problem. I don't take notes or do any drawing but in using the pen to capture parts of the screen, I would get to close to the edge panel have to try the screen cap all over again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12