Kinda pissed. Three day old Blue Coral N7 dropped and screen cracks

Dimas de Leon

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
My first 'smart' phone I think was the SideKick 4G, came out in 2011. I've always had insure on my phones and never used it. Lets' say that at $10 bucks a month, over 5 years, I've spent $600 on insurance and never needed it once. So when I got my Note 5 this January, I didn't get it insurance.

I had the nice black Tech21 cover on it, I dropped it from my couch to the floor, face down, BAM! I took a few breathes before flipping it over to see the damage and, the screen didn't break! But the impact did cause something inside to break, I had two lines running up and down and one left to right. In order to get the Note 7 on Jump ON DEMAND!, I had to get it fixed. So I sent it to Samsung. They were charging me $181 to fix it. So I called them, "hey, I've been a customer for years, I had the old Samsung flip phones, the Blackjack, I've owned the Sidekick 4G, the S2, Note 3, S6 edge and now Note 5, can I get a discount on the repair?" - they gave me 50% off and just paid $90.

I know have insurance on the Note 7, with T-Mobile. I asked for the price and they said $0.40 a day, so I'm guessing that's $12 bucks a month. Kinda steep since I remember at one point it was $8. My deductible I think they said was $179 - so, is insurance really worth it?

Say I own the phone for 6 months before the screen cracks, I've already paid $72 in insurance up to that point, plus $179 deductible, that comes out to $251, when Samsung might charge me $70 bucks less to fix it through them, so where is the benefit?

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
They really blows. I've had UAG cases on the last 5 phones I've owned and they've never let me down. God only knows how many times I dropped my note 4 and it still looked new when I sold it. I wonder if there's a design flaw in the case or the edge screen is just more susceptible to breaking? Wouldn't hurt to contact UAG to see if they offer any kind of guarantee, but contacting them is a huge pita.

lyingfromyou

May 5, 2011
Visit site
When I returned my Note 7 yesterday for a warranty swap, the rep dropped it on the floor naked and nothing happened. That case really sucks!

Extremevl

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
My first 'smart' phone I think was the SideKick 4G, came out in 2011. I've always had insure on my phones and never used it. Lets' say that at $10 bucks a month, over 5 years, I've spent $600 on insurance and never needed it once. So when I got my Note 5 this January, I didn't get it insurance.

I had the nice black Tech21 cover on it, I dropped it from my couch to the floor, face down, BAM! I took a few breathes before flipping it over to see the damage and, the screen didn't break! But the impact did cause something inside to break, I had two lines running up and down and one left to right. In order to get the Note 7 on Jump ON DEMAND!, I had to get it fixed. So I sent it to Samsung. They were charging me $181 to fix it. So I called them, "hey, I've been a customer for years, I had the old Samsung flip phones, the Blackjack, I've owned the Sidekick 4G, the S2, Note 3, S6 edge and now Note 5, can I get a discount on the repair?" - they gave me 50% off and just paid $90.

I know have insurance on the Note 7, with T-Mobile. I asked for the price and they said $0.40 a day, so I'm guessing that's $12 bucks a month. Kinda steep since I remember at one point it was $8. My deductible I think they said was $179 - so, is insurance really worth it?

Say I own the phone for 6 months before the screen cracks, I've already paid $72 in insurance up to that point, plus $179 deductible, that comes out to $251, when Samsung might charge me $70 bucks less to fix it through them, so where is the benefit?

But you have to remember that insurance also handles if the phone is stolen, lost, totally destroyed or something else happens where the phone is beyond fixing. I have insurance on my phone and I always have it on my phones for this reason not so much because I think I will crack the screen.

My best friend got in a car accident (T-Bone) a year ago and his phone (I assume) flew out the car or something and was lost after the accident. If he didn't have insurance he would have been paying full retail for a new phone. Also since the phone wasn't found he couldn't even charge the other driver's insurance company for it because their was no proof he even had the phone in the car with him before the accident.

Insurance isn't just for cracked screens...

mru007

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Oh no ! This is really sad :(
Better sign up for for the Samsung insurance policy while you submit the phone (screen) for repairing.
Any smartphone getting damaged and all is just a matter of probability & the way which the phone drops down.
No case, screen protectors can guarantee 100% safety of the phone all the time.