How's your Note 7 Experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: One Week In - How's your Note 7 Experience?

Once you have the version updated just go to clock and scroll to last option. This is the tricky part the last option shows a clock with stars so many get confused and think they are picking that specific setting. You can replace the start pic in preview with your own custom one.

You're welcome =)
Copy that and thank you.

kyle0k

May 7, 2013
Visit site

Impartial on it. I came from the note 4 and a long line of smartphones before that. I fel in love with my note 4 right away, almost all positives. Unfortunately this one feels like every phone I had before the note 4, it's got alot of positives and negatives.

Positives:
1. Phone is gorgeous
2. Fingerprint scanner works impressively fast and accurately. Serious, I am super impressed with how well it works.
3. Auto brightness seems to work better.
4. Waterproof. Not a big deal because I've never had water damage, but now I don't have to stress about it.
5. Updated android has some nice new features and optimizations

Negatives:
1. Camera is worse. I get it that the pixels are bigger and the photo ARE better in the dark. blah blah blah. I take most my photos and videos outside with ample light. For me it's a lose lose. I never take pictures with terrible lighting and when I do, they still aren't gonna be great from a cell phone anyways. I wish they atleast stuck with 16MP. My note 4's videos and pictures were beautiful. The only thing better is my DSLR and honestly it would give it a run for its money for pre-processed standard pictures.

2. Battery: It's not worse than my Note 4's but it's not better. What a disappointment. They both barely last the full average day for me. Anything outside the average and I have to charge it. Why cut corners on battery? To slim it down an unfathomable amount? Most people put huge cases on it anyways, who cares if its a hair bigger or smaller. The size race ended years ago.

3. Messaging: Stock app would continually freeze on me after I imported my last phones messages. I downloaded Chomp SMS and use that flawlessly, so not a big deal. But after so many years I have no idea how they still can't figure it out but aftermarket apps can.

4. Fragility: I run my phones naked. My note 4 has been dropped dozens of times over the years and has been great. In fact I have never had a cracked screen with any of my phones. However with this one I am actually nervous. The screen is curved around the edges which will definitely make it a weak point. Also it now has 2 glass sides to worry about.

5. Speed: At first it was actually laggy and alot of apps had kinks. After doing alot of organization and deleting bloatware it is no longer laggy and works great. The problem is that it is literally not any faster than my 2 year old note 4. What gives?!

6. Lost Features: In an futile effort to declutter touchwiz they deleted many useful features. Not any faster anyways but thanks for deleting the features.

Overall I was super happy with my note 4. The only reason I didn't just replace the aging battery and I upgraded is I was hoping for some pleasant surprises and because I have the money to. Unfortunately I was disappointed. If I could take the note 4, add waterproof abilities, put that fingerprint scanner in & update to the newest android. I would do it in a heartbeat. In fact I would even pay more money for it than I did this phone!

My wife upgraded too and she is pretty much on the brink of returning it and going back to the note 4. It's really sad because this phone is gorgeous, but there are just so many down falls. It finally FEELS like a flagship phone. But now it just doesn't function like one.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

I just received mine today , but so far I'm liking it. The curved screen initially made me not want to get the phone, but it's not bad. I'll report back in a few days .

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

sadly, I'm not liking it much at all. as a "phone" its performance is poor. signal strength at home is a mere 1-2 bars (115-122dBm). my note 5 on the other hand pulls in almost a full signal (85-92 dBm). I can only assume the poor signal is the reason for the dismal battery life. and I still haven't loaded apps on it:(

That's definitely not right. If you really haven put many apps on it yet, I would definitely do hard reset and see if it improves.

Thisistip

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site

Love it overall. Samsung pay might be my favorite feature, been using it all week. AOD is probably the second fave. I also love the secure folder, USBc, the design.

I actually loved the edge on the Note edge but at least I still have some edge functionality. Haven't tried the iris scanner yet. The new touchwiz is better.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Number one thing I like about it is the looks. Of course it is stunning. It's also much faster than my old phone. Unfortunately the new features it boasts - Samsung Pay, Iris scanner, finger print ID, Samsung Notes, different Touchwiz, battery saving options etc are not things I am ever likely to use. On the other hand I miss the IR blaster and I had hoped for better reception. My wife's iPhone blows away my reception. It has amuch better screen but my eysight is not acute enough to discern it. biggest problem is screen sensitivity isn't as good as my old Note 3.

All in all I am a little disappointed but it is pretty and much faster than my old Note.

krispy_mobile

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site

I returned my note 7 today and am back to my note 5. The 7 was slower than my 5 with same apps, etc. I did a factory reset and put just a few google apps on it and it still was slow. Other than that, I was underwhelmed with the few camera shots I took compared to the 5. I compared outside landscapes in bright light.

I really liked the narrower build and that it has an IP68 rating. That's enough for me to seriously consider trying another note 7, but I think I'll wait until the new Nexus phones are out and decide then between the two or just keep my note 5.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I too am returning my note 7. I didn't find that the price matched up with the value. It's 2016, unless your ahead in the specs department there shouldn't be such a markup. Not being able to find a good Glass protector with a case was Deal breaker too.

I saw some very minimal lag that didn't bother me but made me think it might get worse in a short time.

This is a phone i would have liked to keep for two years, doubt updates will be fast nor come for it after a year.

It's a 5.7 phone, keep it simple so I can do what I need to do quickly. The ui was a little convoluted.

Dunno what I was thinking leaving my Nexus 6p, I guess I got caught up in the marketing

cynth.hgn

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site

I'm also not impressed. My Note 5 was smooth, fast and flawless. I was looking forward to all the features and the slimmer design. Normally when I buy a phone, I slap a case and screen protector on and forget about it. With this edge screen, I have gone through 3 screen protectors, and I don't trust any case except my heavy thick spigen wallet case. If Samsung keeps only offering edge screens, I may pass

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

So far, quite good.

I'll post a more-detailed impressions after a few hours. Need to consolidate my thoughts.

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site

I'm also not impressed. My Note 5 was smooth, fast and flawless. I was looking forward to all the features and the slimmer design. Normally when I buy a phone, I slap a case and screen protector on and forget about it. With this edge screen, I have gone through 3 screen protectors, and I don't trust any case except my heavy thick spigen wallet case. If Samsung keeps only offering edge screens, I may pass

The Note line may not be the cell phone line for you.

cynth.hgn

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site

The Note line may not be the cell phone line for you.

Excuse me? I've had every Note from the "line" they were all exactly for me, until they stopped offering a flat version. Having s pen with only a curved screen option is not a smart idea

Todd Anthony1

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

how did you get the batman logo on the always on display???? thats F******* SICK

Go into your AOD menu. Click About Always on Display and make sure it's updated to the latest version (it will have an option to update if it's not). Under the Clock layouts, the very last screen option gives you the ability to use your own photo. I just went on Google photos and downloaded some logos with black backgrounds (sports teams, Batman logo, you know, the necessities haha)

cynth.hgn

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site

I believe Samsung phones will have the edge from now on

They seem to listen to their customers. If the complaints about the curved screen keep coming the way they have been, I think they'll at least offer a flat version the way they brought back sd slot after all the complaints. I'll go back to my 64gb N5, which is flawless, and see what happens with the N8

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site

Loving it so far Just trying to get Better with Built in keyboard

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site

To sum things up quickly, I hate this phone. Love the looks but its as janky and laggy as a 2014 android device. Ive owned every iteration since the original note and this is the first one that truly disappoints me. The battery has been lackluster which is mindboggling. Why does the s7 edge which has a smaller screen have a bigger battery? Also why does the s7 edge feel so much smoother when they both have identical specs? They dropped the hammer here. Definitely not worth $900 when you can get a Nexus 6p for 350$ which is exactly what im doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox