How's your Note 7 Experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Js2000ster

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Re: One Week In - How's your Note 7 Experience?

I'm returning the phone so maybe it's different, but I was told that I would not have to pay any restocking fee if returned within 14 days of receiving the device.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site

I'm returning the phone so maybe it's different, but I was told that I would not have to pay any restocking fee if returned within 14 days of receiving the device.
Im hoping if I decide to give it another chance they wont charge me but Im sure its up to the store.

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site

Settled in now and still loving it. Coming from a Note 5 its just more refined to me. Basically what I wanted out of the 5 last year. Haven't even begun to fill up the 256gb sd card I got with it yet. Battery life is noticeably better too.

cynth.hgn

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site

On all my other Notes and Samsung phones, under the phone App, I had all my favourites contacts saved. On this N7, I can't find any favourites. It still shows the star beside them, but there's no separate favourite column. Anybody else have this?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

On all my other Notes and Samsung phones, under the phone App, I had all my favourites contacts saved. On this N7, I can't find any favourites. It still shows the star beside them, but there's no separate favourite column. Anybody else have this?
Do your favorites not show up at the top of your contact list after you star them?

Herwick

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site

Overall I love the phone.
PRO:
AOD is great I never really noticed how often I check the time until I didn't have to turn the phone on to see it. The night clock is great and works well for me. I don't see any lag unless I completely shut down the apps via task manager and even then I really don't notice it, only because I was looking for it. Battery life for me is great! I get anywhere from 10-12 hrs with regular use, heavy use 6-10 depending. I like the edge, I use it as much as I thought I would, think once I get used to it being there I will use it more.
CON:
The sound quality when on a call is not great. I can hear just fine but there is an emptiness/digital sound to the other person. On speaker I have to have the call volume up but media volume down to where I usually have it. My signal is not great either. It cuts out randomly and takes forever to dial. I will have full bars on 3G I press call and it drops to 1 bar and continually says dialing sometimes never connecting the call. Sometimes it connects but still says dialing and the connection will be horrible. But 2 minutes later in the exact same place in the house I will have no problems at all. However that could be the area I am in and not the phone.

EDIT:
So it was the HD calling messing with my sound quality and ability to make calls. Turned it off and TADA! Sounds normal and connects almost immediately.

cynth.hgn

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

Yes, indeed I did show stats with power saving on, set to medium, background data is ON. What's the problem with that? I actually got over 7 hours but had a slight charging bump on the wireless charger so I didn't post that one. And the phone is hardly gimped, it still does what it's supposed to do rather snappily, I might add. The only thing I really have off is location when I'm at home, which is most of the time.

Look, this is massive improvement over the Note 5 for me. I would struggle to get 2.5 hours SoT. I charged that phone 4 times day since I am a heavy user and that is the worst battery performance of the Note series for me. So to be able to get 6 hours out of a phone for me is a huge deal. I was only able to achieve those kind of SoT times with Zerolemon batteries and those that know me on here, know I have battery anxiety. 😨

So far, I don't have to worry about an extended battery for the N7 which makes me very happy. And that is what matters to me.
Oh sorry. I'm not being critical of that. I try and understand the unreal battery stats of some knowing everyone uses their phones differently. It's just that when people post they get 7+ hours of SOT I actually laugh because they have to have set it up in power saving mode or turned off every radio on the phone.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

One of the things I don't like is the speaker. It's really just average. I mean really average and maybe less. I have to hold it close to me if I don't have headphones and want to hear a video playing. My 6+ speaker was amazing. It was so loud I had to turn it down to 50% at times. But if that's all I don't like then that's damn good.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

Oh sorry. I'm not being critical of that. I try and understand the unreal battery stats of some knowing everyone uses their phones differently. It's just that when people post they get 7+ hours of SOT I actually laugh because they have to have set it up in power saving mode or turned off every radio on the phone.
That's the way I felt about the Note 5 when people are posting 6+ hours. I tried, but even in safe mode I couldn't get there. So I understand the skepticism. But truthfully, I am using the phone as it should be used, and just have location off while I'm at home and the mid power saving with background data on. Works for me!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

I used to get 5 and 6 hours SOT with my Note and 16-18 hours battery.

They thing about battery I always tell everyone.. So much affects it.

You can have two people with the same phone on the same network, set up the same and they can get different battery times because people use their phones differently.

Now take into account different carriers, different apps, even the same carrier and different apps, different signals and using your phone in different ways.. Battery life can vary.

Try and get your battery to where it works for you and it doesn't matter if someone gets better battery life that you if yours works for you.

It's good to compare and ask questions and help each other find things that work, but don't get obsessed because others get better battery life than you. No matter how great your battery is, eventually there will be at least one person that gets better battery life than you.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

One of the things I don't like is the speaker. It's really just average. I mean really average and maybe less. I have to hold it close to me if I don't have headphones and want to hear a video playing. My 6+ speaker was amazing. It was so loud I had to turn it down to 50% at times. But if that's all I don't like then that's damn good.
I haven't had any issues with the speakers. Actually, I was playing music through them this morning and thought they were louder than my Note 5. Sounded good to me. However, I won't be using them much. I have a bluetooth speaker I use. I'm really having a hard time finding anything to complain about. The Note 7 has been great thus far.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site

I decided to give the phone one more chance today so I went and grabbed another black one from At&t. This time Im going to set it up as new and not restore anything. As for the screen complaints I had, theyre still there. This one looks exactly like the old one but Im going to do my best to ignore it. Well see within the next week if I keep this one.

kyle0k

May 7, 2013
Visit site

Why not get a Note 5? That was their best phone yet due to its screen is wayyyy more durable... Love that phone, Wayyyy fewer downsides from Note 7 (for your "usage case scenerio")AND nice upgrade from Note 4 in many ways...(AND, you could prolly get one on Swappa in mint condition for about 400 bucks!)

BTC

The same reason I didn't get it in the first place. It got rid of the swapable battery (I've come to terms with this by now) and more importantly no SD card.

I'm not sure if the note 5 is more durable than the note 4, but it would be hard to believe. My wife and I both had it for 2 years and it survived a ton of drops, kicks, slides, etc... All Naked. I think the bezel around it does alot of good and I also think the fact that there is a battery compartment does alot of good. People rarely talk about it but the physics supports it. I have had alot of drops that pop the back part of the phone off and shoot the battery out. This is all energy that was dissipated doing that versus focused on cracking the screen. It's a little like the physics behind tempered glass. So even if the glass was officially harder on the note 5, I have my doubts about it standing up to more abuse.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

I've had all the Notes and waiting for my Note 7. The Note 4 was my least favorite, it was painful, physically, to use.

My Note 5 has been durable. I carry it without a case, I dropped it once on the driveway and not a scratch or crack on any glass.

The Note 5 cured me of wanting or needing a replaceable battery or SD card.

The only screen I ever broke was my Note 2.

As of now, without having my Note 7 yet, my very favorite Note of all time has been the Note 5, hands down.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

With the Note5, there was almost no consideration of shooting 4K video. SD storage was definitely welcome.
I had a weird random wallpaper thing going on, as well as a little screen sensitivity issue. I did a "Reset Settings" yesterday and it seems to have helped.
The only other issue to note is the reception issue. Doesn't seem as strong as the Note5.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Yeah there wasn't anything for 4K, but for me, that wasn't something on my list of priorities. For someone interested in shooting 4K video, they would need an SD card.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site

For those of you coming from a Note 5 how does the N7 compare when listening to music with headphones? Still on the fence about upgrading. I will say if the N7 is released in the pink color that Best Buy has the S7 in I will be powerless to resist. I went to see it today and I thought it was beautiful. A Note 7 in that color would be stunning.

Status
Not open for further replies.