Draw Over Other Apps Issue

nDroid3

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone else have to turn off the "draw over other apps" for their apps in order to approve permissions?

I have to turn off the Draw over other apps option for each app that I have it on for to approve permissions (for storage, camera, contacts...etc) for a new downloaded app and then go back to turn them on.

Any fix to this specific to the Note 7 on Verizon?

Philip Butin

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
This is the stupidest feature I have ever seen from a user standpoint. Not only do I get bombarded with permission requests every time I use my phone, but every time I try to add a permission I have to (one by one) click several times to go into settings and turn off each floating app before I can grant any permissions at all.

Android, this is ridiculous. I know you are thinking about security which is good, but you are not thinking about users and our time. We are not all the same. Please do one of the following:

1. Add the option to turn off all floating apps all at once and then to turn them all back on all at once. If you have numerous floating apps installed trying to figure out which one is current running is another waste of time. I have heard that this option is available on some newer versions of Marshmallow, but it is not available on the AT&T 6.01 version that was sent out a few weeks ago to my Galaxy Note 4. AT&T, please fix this immediately.
2. Alternatively, allow the user to permanently over-ride the floating apps security feature if the security gains do not outweigh the convenience, frustration, and time losses for that particular user--these are our phones--and our lives. We are not all the same and we pay good money for your phones and operating systems.
3. Alternatively, create an app (somebody please!) that shows you are thinking about all of this from a user's time perspective and gives us control back over the apps we want to use and how we want to use them. The point of the specific security authorizations was to give us more control, but in this case you shot yourself and all of the rest of us in the foot and took away a huge amount of control instead.

dmiller1969

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Philip. I installed Twilight to kill the blue in my display at night and now, every single time I need a new app to gain permission to use the phone's resources, I have to go into the drawing over other apps settings menu and disable Twilight's permission to do so. I have several other apps that also require permission to write over other apps but I leave them off until I do need to use them (they are not regularly used apps). This is a tremendous pain in the neck from the user's perspective and even if there is a high security risk from apps being able to write over other apps, the user should have control over whether or not he or she wants to mess with that setting several times a day.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Philip. I installed Twilight to kill the blue in my display at night ..

You realize this functionality is built into the Note 7 now, right? And it couldn't be easier to access. There is a "Blue Light Filter" toggle in the notification shade - and you can customize the amount of "yellow" you get :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc