Settings revert to Default

Mellis72

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
After I have set up my ringtones and other items, my settings would go back to default when I reboot my phone in the mornings or anytime I restart it. I have changed my default ringtone everyday because this phone will not keep the settings I have put in place. Has anyone else out there had this same issue?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you using custom ringtones or one of the preinstalled ones? If you're using a custom ringtone, make sure it's saved to the Ringtones directory on Internal Storage (not the SD card).

Which settings go back to default when you reboot?

Mellis72

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm using custom tones and the only settings that change so far are the ringtone and keyboard settings. So for now, I will not power down my phone at night and try not to reboot so i can keep my settings.

Mellis72

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm sorry but I told you the wrong answer on the ringtones. I am using the ringtones that came with the phone. This is why I am so lost on why it want save the tones. Each time I pick the the tone "spacecraft " and I turn my phone off when i go to bed, the morning I wake up and power it up, it's back to that damn Verizon tone and my keyboard setting has turned back to sound on. So strange and the only thing I can think of doing is wiping and starting over from scratch.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm also experiencing the ringtone issue. It's driving me crazy. But I am using custom ringtones. I've tried pointing to the ringtones directory on my phone and on SD card but like the OP if I reboot I also get the freaking vzw ringtone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if it'd help to disable some of the Verizon bloatware (but I'm not sure which one to try first).

Mellis72

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I would definitely turn off some of Verizon bloat but as you said, I'm not sure which ones to do without causing a chain reaction of non responsive apps. I have already disabled the usuals like VZ navigation and Support but that's it. I hate to wipe my phone and start over but i may just go ahead and do it tonight. I will chime back in tomorrow and let you guys know the outcome.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Are you guys/girls who are experiencing this issue only on Verizon or is anyone else on another carrier branded phone experiencing this?

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm also on Verizon. I just did two things and knock on wood my ringtone stuck after a reboot.
1 - clear data cache. Go into storage > tap on internal storage then scroll all the way to the bottom and wait for it to calculate cached data. Once it shows a number clear it and then wait for it to recalculate. Exit that.
2 - Then go into sounds setting and in the ringtone section scroll all the way to the bottom and select sound picker and uncheck highlights.

ARGH ... Nevermind. My ring tone stuck for the reboot but while I was typing this reply the damn thing reverted back to the vzw tone. I'm getting highly pissed at Verizon monkeying with my very expensive device and having their ringtone forced on me is infuriating. Even if it's not their fault it's insult to injury.

Curious to see if we can determine this is a vzw specific issue which right now seems it might be.

Jude are you on VZW?

ETA: interestingly I have a custom ringtone assigned to a specific contact and that setting sticks through reboots.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I am on VZ and this has not happened to me. I am using a custom ring tone I imported from a Smart Switch backup, so I don't know if that makes a difference. Now that I read this post I'm afraid to try another tone. I am also using SwiftKey keyboard and have had no issues with the settings changing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20