08-27-2016 09:04 PM
85 ... 234
tools
    Hey check out this widget:

http://i.imgur.com/v0If5n2.jpg

It's a stock widget, and when you tap it it shuts down unused apps and clears memory. I tap it a few times a day (that's what she said) and mine has been running super smooth.
    Actually, I would not recommend doing that.

Forcing apps out of memory is not recommended these days on Android, because you're forcibly messing with the way the system manages RAM and resources. Because services and apps are cleared out of memory, quite a number of them will have to start back up again, which actually impacts performance.

I would suggest leaving that alone and letting the system worry about idle resources. Stuff like Clean Master can end up doing more harm than good in certain cases.
    08-27-2016 01:32 PM
    And this is how you drive people who need help away. Nice job everyone.

There are things in the Note 7 that are busted, just like there are things on every single Android phone that are busted. If those happen to be something a person wants to use (or worked well on their last phone) they may seek help. There is no vast conspiracy to make your life choices or purchasing habits seem bad. The few trolls get dealt with by the people who are tasked with dealing with them.

Js2000ster, if you're still here I apologize. You can find help in these forums if you want to try and make for a better experience. I would suggest reading the various threads about problems similar to yours and seeing if they offer any useful information.
    Im curious. Can you list all the things that are busted? I'd like to know what to look out for.
    08-27-2016 01:47 PM
    If it happens again, ignore the amount of RAM free and check the CPU clock speeds and active time (if you feel like troubleshooting, for your own sake and the community at large).

Using most of the ram isn't a problem itself, but it often indicates that you'll have an app or apps hitting the CPU too often and too hard. Android can and will become CPU-bound because of the way it allows background processes.

If that's the case, maybe we can pinpoint one of those rouge apps we keep hearing about. And if an app has issues on the Note 7, there's a very good chance the developers will be quick to fix it if they get reports of problems.
    This is correct. When I had the Note 5 I had all my old apps downloaded to it and all my settings and had to do the FDR. Then it seemed to run fine.

This time because I had the iPhone for 9 months I decided to just start fresh on this one and not transfer from my Note 5 setup.

Sounds to me those that did Smart Switch had an issue.
    cynth.hgn likes this.
    08-27-2016 01:50 PM
    Actually, I would not recommend doing that.

Forcing apps out of memory is not recommended these days on Android, because you're forcibly messing with the way the system manages RAM and resources. Because services and apps are cleared out of memory, quite a number of them will have to start back up again, which actually impacts performance.

I would suggest leaving that alone and letting the system worry about idle resources. Stuff like Clean Master can end up doing more harm than good in certain cases.
    I figured it was safe since it's a stock widget, thanks!
    D13H4RD2L1V3 likes this.
    08-27-2016 01:58 PM
    I figured it was safe since it's a stock widget, thanks!
    No problem!

I'm still annoyed at Samsung for implementing what is basically Clean Master right in the device's software itself.....
    08-27-2016 02:10 PM
    No problem!

I'm still annoyed at Samsung for implementing what is basically Clean Master right in the device's software itself.....
    Yeah I gave them an earful about that last month when I was airing my grievances to the executive office.
    08-27-2016 02:21 PM
    Hey check out this widget:

http://i.imgur.com/v0If5n2.jpg

It's a stock widget, and when you tap it it shuts down unused apps and clears memory. I tap it a few times a day (that's what she said) and mine has been running super smooth.
    You'll want to burn that widget to the ground.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    08-27-2016 03:04 PM
    Im curious. Can you list all the things that are busted? I'd like to know what to look out for.
    Nothing that I can see in and of itself. But this is a brand new TouchWiz. That means there are probably thousands of minute changes to the application framework. Inevitably, some of those changes will cause issues with some apps. This is a by-product of Google being loose on rules to use the play store, and Samsung taking the Android Source and customizing it into what they think is the best phone from top to bottom. In the end, it's a good thing and lets us have so many different types of phones that look and feel different when we're using them.

In the short term, it means that Samsung or app developers (or both) might have to make some more adjustments to make everything work together. Since this is a phone that will sell 30,000,000+ units, both parties will spend time and money to sort it out.

Just watch for any major behaviour changes like battery life tanking or real lag (not the Android stutter that every phone has, or a gallery app that can be laggy when you first open it because you've signed into cloud stuff and it's syncing and scanning the media) think about what apps you recently installed or recently used for the first time. Most of the time, this will be the culprit and it's easy to fix.

And please — if you're positive you know of an app that misbehaves on the Note 7, tell everyone here in the forums and file a bug report with the people who published the app. If it's not on their end, they know what to tell Samsung.

EDIT: Since I singled out the gallery app. Having lag when you open the TouchWiz gallery app is normal if you have it hooked into the cloud. This is a good thing (keep reading).

The app doesn't sync with any cloud services or scan the files from anywhere (it needs to be able to build a thumbnail) when it's not active. The process may stay alive, but it sits there and waits for you to bring the main app into the foreground before it does anything. There is no reason the gallery needs to sync in the background when you're not looking at it.

When you open it, the bigger your cloud-based gallery is and the slower your connection speed is, the more chance it has to lag. Alex and I made a dropbox folder with a gazillion or so pictures in it and could bring the S6 to its knees for like 5 minutes on a bad Sprint connection.

Every tiny bit of battery and data saved counts!
    08-27-2016 07:09 PM
    Before you return it, delete some apps. Which ones are battery hogs? Delete those. If none are battery hogs, delete them in order of most recently installed to first installed, rebooting in between, until the phone works. If that still fails, factory reset it. It is rare for a hardware defect to slow down computers. (Yes, phones these days are great computers.) I think that carrier/samsung bloatware might've ruined the phone too.
    08-27-2016 08:58 PM
    I wanted to love this phone so much, but it's just not a good phone. I previously owned the note 2 and then the note 4, both were great phones and when I got the note 4 it felt like a great upgraded model from the note 2. This note 7 feels like a downgrade from my 2 year old note 4! This note 7 is slow, crashes all the time, and is a pain to use. Web pages load very slow and scrolling up and down in a webpage looks terrible, the text is jittery and is not smooth at all. When i take out the spen and do smart select and select an image it constantly crashes. I feel I've been ripped off and I think I need to look into returning it to att. Hopefully I don't get charged a bunch of restocking fees. I don't know, maybe I received a bad one. Maybe att bloat ware ruined this phone?
    Sounds like you got a bad phone...did you take it back?

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-27-2016 09:04 PM
85 ... 234