There is something seriously wrong with this phone.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've never owned any of the Note series phones before, but close friends have used them and as far as I know, they've had good experiences. One in particular got the Note 5 or 4, I believe; and I think he's still using it now. Of course, the phone you got could have some hardware/software issues; and it's true that carrier bloatware can sometimes eat up device performance. I'm sorry you're not enjoying it! I'd for sure return it to ATT and hopefully they will compensate you with another device or another Note 7 - whichever you prefer. Let us know what happens!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Did you try hitting it with a stick to see if that fixed it? :D.

You ask that about a phone that gets scratched when a cat looks at it? A stick? You'd break every Note 7 within a mile by swinging a stick at it. Of course, in Jerry's neck of the woods he probably has the only phone within a mile.... so maybe ok?

I'll take that SOB out to the barn and beat the hell from it if it would mean I didn't have to set it up as new every time I have to wipe it for something I'm doing on the blog.

Old data mixed with new data copied and rewritten over and over to an entirely different device with entirely different hardware. I'm amazed it works for anyone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'll take that SOB out to the barn and beat the hell from it if it would mean I didn't have to set it up as new every time I have to wipe it for something I'm doing on the blog.

Old data mixed with new data copied and rewritten over and over to an entirely different device with entirely different hardware. I'm amazed it works for anyone.

I set mine up as new and just let it re-download all the apps that google had backed up. I just logged into all my apps again once it got done.

serenemind

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I had my note7 for about a week I ended up returning it and got a note 5 this phone runs better in my opinion and meets my needs I'm sure everybody on here has their own opinions about the different phones.

I always buy in places like Costco/Sam's club to avoid restocking fees and they also throw in some nice goodies like extended battery pack, cash cards etc.

cynth.hgn

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
Was having issues too. Phone was lagging and stuttering even just reading fb or tapatalk. I had used smart switch when I got the phone, so I took everyone's advice and did a full reset and reinstalled everything manually, now, knock on wood, I'm seeing an improvement I'll see how it is over the next few days. I must say, the battery is an improvement over my N5

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Was having issues too. Phone was lagging and stuttering even just reading fb or tapatalk. I had used smart switch when I got the phone, so I took everyone's advice and did a full reset and reinstalled everything manually, now, knock on wood, I'm seeing an improvement I'll see how it is over the next few days. I must say, the battery is an improvement over my N5

That really seems to be causing issues. The one time I used Smart Switch was with my Note 5 last week and I ended up with the media server battery drain, horrible drain, 5 hours was the most I could get out of a brand new Note 5 battery. I reset and set up as new and it is fine now.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
That really seems to be causing issues. The one time I used Smart Switch was with my Note 5 last week and I ended up with the media server battery drain, horrible drain, 5 hours was the most I could get out of a brand new Note 5 battery. I reset and set up as new and it is fine now.

It actually makes perfect sense too, as I had that this very issue when setting up my S6 plus a year ago. I had to do a complete reboot, and even then my phone was slow for awhile after.

Smart Switch is very convenient, but only seems to work well if your not bringing a ton of stuff over.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It actually makes perfect sense too, as I had that this very issue when setting up my S6 plus a year ago. I had to do a complete reboot, and even then my phone was slow for awhile after.

Smart Switch is very convenient, but only seems to work well if your not bringing a ton of stuff over.

I think the settings might be the issue where Smart Switch is concerned.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I've never done a full restore on any of my phones and I haven't used Smart Switch. I set them up from scratch and download the apps I want to keep one by one. Painstaking but worth it in my opinion for a fresh start on every new phone. I've never had the issues others have had, but I will say the battery on my Note 5 was horrible. 2.5 hours SoT was miserable. Everything else was fine except for the battery life, I even FDR twice without improvement.

One thing I have done differently with the Note 7 is when it is done charging, I unplug it immediately. I don't know definitely if that improves the battery life but I get 6 hours easy SoT with the N7 and couldn't be happier. 😊

My 2 cents.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I've never done a full restore on any of my phones and I haven't used Smart Switch. I set them up from scratch and download the apps I want to keep one by one. Painstaking but worth it in my opinion for a fresh start on every new phone. I've never had the issues others have had, but I will say the battery on my Note 5 was horrible. 2.5 hours SoT was miserable. Everything else was fine except for the battery life, I even FDR twice without improvement.

One thing I have done differently with the Note 7 is when it is done charging, I unplug it immediately. I don't know definitely if that improves the battery life but I get 6 hours easy SoT with the N7 and couldn't be happier. 😊

My 2 cents.

Same for me. It is odd the one time I used Smart Switch that I had a major problem.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
So..best thing is to setup the phone as new and manually install everything again and tweak settings. I use Easy Backup so my files will be carried over after installing the app again. Got it.

I'm picking up my Blue Coral order from AT&T next week .

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I was actually going to mention in my 1st post that it is my initial post because I'm sure it looks fishy. I'm not a troll or a hater. Just telling my experience with this phone for 7 days. This morning my N7 would not let me take a screenshot because it said I was out of memory. I checked storage and it said I had like 14mb free. I was like wth. I rebooted the phone and magically I had 40 gb free and now the phone seems much much better! I think I'm going to stick with the N7 for another week and see how it goes. I'm hoping for the best.

Hey check out this widget:

v0If5n2.jpg

It's a stock widget, and when you tap it it shuts down unused apps and clears memory. I tap it a few times a day (that's what she said) and mine has been running super smooth.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Hey check out this widget:

http://i.imgur.com/v0If5n2.jpg

It's a stock widget, and when you tap it it shuts down unused apps and clears memory. I tap it a few times a day (that's what she said) and mine has been running super smooth.
Actually, I would not recommend doing that.

Forcing apps out of memory is not recommended these days on Android, because you're forcibly messing with the way the system manages RAM and resources. Because services and apps are cleared out of memory, quite a number of them will have to start back up again, which actually impacts performance.

I would suggest leaving that alone and letting the system worry about idle resources. Stuff like Clean Master can end up doing more harm than good in certain cases.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
And this is how you drive people who need help away. Nice job everyone.

There are things in the Note 7 that are busted, just like there are things on every single Android phone that are busted. If those happen to be something a person wants to use (or worked well on their last phone) they may seek help. There is no vast conspiracy to make your life choices or purchasing habits seem bad. The few trolls get dealt with by the people who are tasked with dealing with them.

Js2000ster, if you're still here I apologize. You can find help in these forums if you want to try and make for a better experience. I would suggest reading the various threads about problems similar to yours and seeing if they offer any useful information.
Im curious. Can you list all the things that are busted? I'd like to know what to look out for.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
If it happens again, ignore the amount of RAM free and check the CPU clock speeds and active time (if you feel like troubleshooting, for your own sake and the community at large).

Using most of the ram isn't a problem itself, but it often indicates that you'll have an app or apps hitting the CPU too often and too hard. Android can and will become CPU-bound because of the way it allows background processes.

If that's the case, maybe we can pinpoint one of those rouge apps we keep hearing about. And if an app has issues on the Note 7, there's a very good chance the developers will be quick to fix it if they get reports of problems.
This is correct. When I had the Note 5 I had all my old apps downloaded to it and all my settings and had to do the FDR. Then it seemed to run fine.

This time because I had the iPhone for 9 months I decided to just start fresh on this one and not transfer from my Note 5 setup.

Sounds to me those that did Smart Switch had an issue.

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I would not recommend doing that.

Forcing apps out of memory is not recommended these days on Android, because you're forcibly messing with the way the system manages RAM and resources. Because services and apps are cleared out of memory, quite a number of them will have to start back up again, which actually impacts performance.

I would suggest leaving that alone and letting the system worry about idle resources. Stuff like Clean Master can end up doing more harm than good in certain cases.

I figured it was safe since it's a stock widget, thanks!