Kelly Kearns' suggestion got rid of all lag for me.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm one of the folks who responded to the thread about lag. I was experiencing it and found my Note7 to be significantly slower and more laggy than my S7 Edge.

In addition, all benchmark app scores were way lower not only than the same benchmark scores on my S7 Edge, but also compared to the benchmark scores listed on this site in an article about the Note 7 benchmarks.

I tried many different things to improve it to no avail. The only thing I didn't try was a full reset, and changing scaling to large/normal. I didn't feel that would help since there was no update to a new OS version, or security patch on my T-Mobile version.

Fellow forum member, Kelly Kearns suggested I do a full reset and load the device as a brand new device without restoring in any fashion from my S7 Edge.

I did that last night, and today my Note7 is flying and performing slightly better than my S7 Edge. It took a while to get all the apps installed, etc, but it was well worth it.Trying the benchmarks today also yielded expected good results inline with what AC found.

It's pretty clear that a % of folks here are experiencing lag, and others are not. If you are, I would recommend at least trying what Kelly suggested. Thank you Kelly.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad it worked! That's what we are here for at Android Central!

If you have anymore issues be sure and let me know. If I don't have the answer, I can find you someone that does.

Last edited:

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Any Phone I buy and I buy a lot of them, always start fresh and don't restore from previous phone. It helps all my stuff is in the cloud and pretty much device independent.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm beginning to be concerned Smart Switch is the culprit. I used it on my Note 5 last week and I had a major problem that is now gone after a reset last night.

This needs more testing and to be reported to Samsung if it is a problem. It's nice to be able to use Smart Switch, but not if it is going to cause problems.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm beginning to be concerned Smart Switch is the culprit. I used it on my Note 5 last week and I had a major problem that is now gone after a reset last night.

This needs more testing and to be reported to Samsung if it is a problem. It's nice to be able to use Smart Switch, but not if it is going to cause problems.

This wouldn't be the first time Smart Switch caused problems on a new device. As tempting as it is, I never use it.

I'm one of those people who loves to start fresh with every new phone. I say if you're going to use it, definitely be careful what heavy loads you're carrying over.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
This wouldn't be the first time Smart Switch caused problems on a new device. As tempting as it is, I never use it.

I'm one of those people who loves to start fresh with every new phone.

I got the weird media server battery drain that we see with an SD card.. On my no SD card Note 5.

This is something I'll mention to my Samsung contact next time I talk to them. It would be nice if they could get it to work flawlessly.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I used Smart Switch from my S7E and I dont have any lag.
Maybe it depends on the number of apps. I'm not a heavy app user, so not a lot was moved over.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I didn't use it and my phone is smooth. Not that it proves anything, but add my name to the 'list'.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I didn't use it and my phone is smooth. Not that it proves anything, but add my name to the 'list'.
If yours works great then fine. Most will. However for those having problems, doing a fresh install and not installing any third party apps is the way to go to determine whether the issue is with an app or something messing up in smart switch or whatever

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

I'm pretty convinced that's exactly the problem. Either Smart Switch, or recovering from Google will replicate the apps you had. I noticed that there are apps that appeared twice after the smart switch because Samsung or other vendors have made changes to them, but not made them a new version of the same app. Rather, they slightly renamed them.

An example is the T-Mobile Voice Mail app, which I had two of on my Note after the recovery. Of course in retrospect I would have unchecked that. But I expect when I recover from a previous phone that if the app already comes preinstalled, if will not be reinstalled.

But what if like T-Mobile's voicemail, and Samsung+, which also created a duplicate, there are others that are causing this issue?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
If yours works great then fine. Most will. However for those having problems, doing a fresh install and not installing any third party apps is the way to go to determine whether the issue is with an app or something messing up in smart switch or whatever

I never made a case that it wasn't.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So... moving from iPhone 6s to note 7, should I not use smart switch to bring over photos and texts?

Theoretically, those should be fine. Can you upload photos to One Drive and then get them and sync to Google Photos?

I use Samsung cloud for my text also. I used smart switch last time for them but this time I got them from the cloud.

sweeperdk

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Yeah the photos can be done as a workaround like you mentioned. Am more worried about the texts, although they're not that important.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan