08-30-2016 01:15 PM
60 123
tools
    I tend to treat reviews (tech, book or entertainment) as an opinion, I am interested to see what they thought but ultimately I want to get hands on and decide for myself.

Cheers,
    BR
    dakini03, msndrstood and Serkle K like this.
    08-26-2016 02:03 PM
    And it is always better when things like this come from someone that isn't a Samsung fan.

I have been Samsung exclusive for years. I did buy a Nexus 5 over a year ago to get the Pure Android experience, not my thing. I will never be seen as unbiased even though I don't ignore issues I encounter and was ready to walk away with Samsung because I was upset with them.
    I be a Samsung Fanboy too..Just purchased a Notebook 9 Pro.., going to sip some wine when I open the box later on tonight..

BTW, crazy about my Note 7... And my beloved Note 4, I passed on the Note 5.. Can't win them all..
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    08-26-2016 02:11 PM
    I be a Samsung Fanboy too..Just purchased a Notebook 9 Pro.., going to sip some wine when I open the box later on tonight..

BTW, crazy about my Note 7... And my beloved Note 4, I passed on the Note 5.. Can't win them all..
    Yeah my mom is getting my Note 5 when my Note 7 comes in. I'm upgrading her from a Galaxy Core Prime. The only bad thing, she will be calling me constantly for a while or I will be over there all the time.

I'm determined to get her on the calendar instead of keeping a paper calendar 😆
    08-26-2016 02:14 PM
    They aren't backing off the performance issues claim. That's fine. I'm sure Samsung could improve upon what they already have and will do so. If the last few years have been any indication, they're listening. If they improve their performance like they've improved their build quality, this hopefully will be put to rest for absolutely everyone.
    Agreed. And I don't think they should back off their performance evaluation. It is based on benchmarks, and right or wrong, people value them. Clearly some of the additional features the Note 7 has running impact the benchmarks. What matters more is the performance in hand. They did a nice job of providing balance to their metrics with real life use, telling the value of the extra features you get. For me it is the real life use that I appreciate in a review. Benchmarks don't always match up, so I find them interesting but not relevant.
    Adranalyne likes this.
    08-26-2016 02:34 PM
    My iPhone 6+ was getting slow after my close to a year use. When I would turn it on or restart it initially it would be slow and stuttering. It ran smooth but had its occasional issues. No phone is perfect. None that I've had anyway.
    Kelly Kearns and clg82 like this.
    08-26-2016 03:20 PM
    The second article from XDA nailed it. I to live in Florida and frequent theme parks it's nice to know the phone can take a splash. The screen brightness is ridiculous and I had a iphone 6plus and 6plus S I easily paid 1000$ Plus for... at least with the note the price comes with capability whether you use them or not. It's not a phone for all. As far as performance goes I truly think it's just software and a update can hammer out the kinks.
    08-26-2016 03:24 PM
    Hey, Author of that article. Thanks for linking, glad to see a lot liked it. I wanted to clarify it was not a clarification of the original piece. As the title denotes, my article was to highlight that while the performance issues are present, valid, and can be annoying as hell (disabling edge features fixed snappiness for me), the phone is still unmatched for day to day living.

Thanks again!
    Serkle K and D13H4RD2L1V3 like this.
    08-29-2016 12:33 PM
    If you are happy with the Note 7, why give a shoot what others think or post? I think that overall the Note 7 rocks. Based on back orders, launch push backs, plus reviews and most user opinions being high- most people think that too. ☺
    08-29-2016 12:54 PM
    --Interesting that this piece came from The Verge itself. Usually known for being biased towards Apple.--

Yeah. Noticed that this morning while reading reviews.
    08-29-2016 12:55 PM
    --Interesting that this piece came from The Verge itself. Usually known for being biased towards Apple.--

Yeah. Noticed that this morning while reading reviews.
    You are too kind.. The Verge isn't usually biased to Apple, they are usually all in for Apple 😆
    08-29-2016 12:58 PM
    It seems that people have become so polarized in the last 15 years, especially in politics and technology.

I love both Android and iOS, I own a 6s+ and a note 5. Despite what some negative people on forums say, I sold my note 5 and ordered a note 7. I also plan on selling my 6s+ and buying the iphone 7.

You will never please everyone all of the time. Even if the note 7 were perfect, it wouldn't be good enough for some people.
    Sam_Gs7 and dcooper830 like this.
    08-29-2016 01:07 PM
    There is always someone that will complain about every phone. Yeah, no phone will be perfect for anyone, but some people find everything they don't like about any phone to be something that is super major world ending.
    08-29-2016 01:10 PM
    When you say do a FDR and set up as a new device do you at any point restore any back ups? I've read Smart Switch is causing a lot of issues but what about restoring data from your Samsung account?
    08-29-2016 01:29 PM
    When you say do a FDR and set up as a new device do you at any point restore any back ups? I've read Smart Switch is causing a lot of issues but what about restoring data from your Samsung account?
    The data from your account should be OK, but there are settings also, accessibility. I would not restore any settings.
    ahhChu likes this.
    08-29-2016 01:50 PM
    I've used nothing but SGNotes since the N2 {skipped the 5.} I've used no other device. I never considered my buying decision on how fast a phone preformed in benchmark test. My decisions are based on one thing - features. What can a device do to help me navigate life. To that end, for me, NOTHING comes close or can compete with the Notes. Your mileage may vary.
    08-29-2016 02:02 PM
    I've used nothing but SGNotes since the N2 {skipped the 5.} I've used no other device. I never considered my buying decision on how fast a phone preformed in benchmark test. My decisions are based on one thing - features. What can a device do to help me navigate life. To that end, for me, NOTHING comes close or can compete with the Notes. Your mileage may vary.
    Benchmark tests and specs are fun to look at sometimes, but for the average user, not Developers.. If it works for what you want and you like it? Who cares what it scores on whatever?
    08-29-2016 02:20 PM
    Phones have become a status symbol, so there is that.
    Maybe for the kids under 40. The rest of us could care, but we don't.
    08-29-2016 02:34 PM
    Maybe for the kids under 40. The rest of us could care, but we don't.
    There is no age cut off for those that see it as a status symbol. All people don't see it that way, but you have materialistic people of every age.
    Baby_Doc likes this.
    08-29-2016 02:39 PM
    Is "status symbol" still a thing? I don't know. I'm over 40
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    08-29-2016 03:43 PM
    Is "status symbol" still a thing? I don't know. I'm over 40
    No it isn't a good thing lol.

If a person is looking at phones to determine the worth of someone, they aren't looking at anything important.
    ajb1965 likes this.
    08-29-2016 04:37 PM
    Give this a read if you can. Pretty interesting.

http://www.xda-developers.com/in-res...s-performance/
    08-29-2016 07:56 PM
    I am still rocking my Galaxy S5 which is performing well after 2 yrs. I thought about upgrading to the Note 7 but am now put off with significant poor or ambivalent reviews. Even on this very thread, there are posts of seemingly happy users with comments like "not the fastest phone" and "lags sometimes" etc.

I will reconsider with the Note 8 or even Galaxy X if the rumors prove true. I am not replacing my S5 with another phone that costs twice as much that seems hit or miss in performance.
    08-29-2016 08:06 PM
    So basically it is slower but slower in a way that you won't notice it is slower.

Far cry from their first article.
    08-29-2016 08:08 PM
    I knew the benchmarks were nothing but crap. They always are and always will be.
    08-29-2016 08:09 PM
    Give this a read if you can. Pretty interesting.

To The Verge: Why We “Fretted” About the Note 7’s Performance
    I agree. Good reading for what it is. That said, this performance thing reminds of "pixel peeping" by photographers. The difference in a photo can be so slight that most don't notice and those that do will call attention to it and either applaud or denigrate a camera or the shot based on similar issues as mentioned in the article. It's always helpful to keep one's own needs and preferences in mind when judging any kind of hardware. One man's trash... (and NOT saying the Note 7 is trash)

Can't wait for my Note 7 to arrive tomorrow. We'll see then. I tend to be a bit of a pixel peeper and a bit like the Xda reviewers, but I am fairly easy to please with phones. Give me an SPen and root and I'm good to go.
    BlackZeppelin likes this.
    08-29-2016 08:22 PM
60 123