Why do apps load faster on SnapDragon 652 than on my Note 7?

accordex#AC

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi, guys. I am also experiencing random lag. I tried opening Secure Folder and the phone came to a halt. I had to restart it. Also one time, using maps...the phone stuttered so bad like it was drawing at 1 frame per second. Had to restart it.
Also, I have the new 2016 (refreshed model) Tab S2 with the Snap Dragon 652..which I thought was supposed to be a mid range chip. The Tab S2 FLIES!! Smooth as hell, and no weird stutters. Also, I thought it loaded apps faster so last night I tried to open apps at the same time as my note...the difference is ridiculous. Apps open 50% faster on the SD652....

What's going on with this phone? It's only slightly faster than my Moto X Pure...Is it just not optimized, like at all?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi, guys. I am also experiencing random lag. I tried opening Secure Folder and the phone came to a halt. I had to restart it. Also one time, using maps...the phone stuttered so bad like it was drawing at 1 frame per second. Had to restart it.
Also, I have the new 2016 (refreshed model) Tab S2 with the Snap Dragon 652..which I thought was supposed to be a mid range chip. The Tab S2 FLIES!! Smooth as hell, and no weird stutters. Also, I thought it loaded apps faster so last night I tried to open apps at the same time as my note...the difference is ridiculous. Apps open 50% faster on the SD652....

What's going on with this phone? It's only slightly faster than my Moto X Pure...Is it just not optimized, like at all?

How did you set up your Note 7? Did you use smart switch?

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Remind me how to use safe mode, I'm having the same lag issues, so bad the phone just stops... Has to be an app but I don't know which one.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site

Like Kelly said it could be a number of things, and not knowing how you have things setup (what applications you have running, etc) its difficult to troubleshoot your issue without more information. I haven't encountered any lag, Secure Folder has worked fine, (google) maps has worked fine, and the apps I've used have launched quickly. As more people use the Note 7, and as more developers tweak their apps to work with it there should be some improvements. In the meantime you can try a couple of things.

If you haven't already gone into developer mode and changed your animation settings you can try that. While there you can also experiment with some of the forced GPU settings. (There is usually a setting to force the CPU to run at max settings in developer mode, but I haven't seen that on the Note 7). If you haven't already disable any carrier apps you don't use, or don't intend to use. Disable other apps you don't plan to use. In the power area set it to optimize apps by sleeping any apps that aren't used for awhile. If you haven't already you can experiment with a different launcher, and see if that makes a difference.

Are any of the apps you're launching stored on a SD card, and if so what speed is that card? (If you store something on a slow SD card then that is going to be a bottleneck on your system).

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
My keyboard is laggy.. I use SwiftKey but it's been struggling to keep up with me lately. Argh... I wish there was a way to identify the problematic apps..

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
My keyboard is laggy.. I use SwiftKey but it's been struggling to keep up with me lately. Argh... I wish there was a way to identify the problematic apps..

SwiftKey has been lagging for everyone lately. Combine it with Hangouts and it can be a nightmare at times.

Sometimes it is hard to identify the app, sometimes it takes in installing a few at a time or resetting and only adding back a few at a time.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
SwiftKey has been lagging for everyone lately. Combine it with Hangouts and it can be a nightmare at times.

Sometimes it is hard to identify the app, sometimes it takes in installing a few at a time or resetting and only adding back a few at a time.
Really! I didn't know.. I switched back to the non-beta and also to Samsung and they seem to be just as bad...

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Really! I didn't know.. I switched back to the non-beta and also to Samsung and they seem to be just as bad...
Yeah a lot of the team members use SwiftKey and we have all been having lag problems off and on for a long time now.

With the Note 4 I had to use the split keyboard so I've gotten used to that. I'm kinda stuck with SwiftKey now.

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Even on the exynos version of the tab s2 the apps load faster since the processor doesn't have to throttle much and there is better heat distribution in the larger tablet in comparison to the note 7 and even my older s6 edge plus......but the S2 lags in more graphically intense tasks and apps unlike the note 7....

mgorlets

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site

It's a note 7 that's why. Despite what people may say to make them self's feel better about spending $900 on a phone that's performance is sub par XDA did some real world test showing the Note 7 in day to day performance is one of the slowest devices around. It's expected with touchwiz it's nothing new and it won't go away. If you do not like the lag return it and get a Note 5. My Note 5 was much faster day to day then the 7 when I had it.

Could they fix the lag? Yes. Will they fix the lag? Chances are no because the fanboys are saying it's so fast and there is zero lag. Phones software is a joke and memory management seems to be the worst of any device in years. They have some serious polishing to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy