On the verge of picking one up...

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Well you can soon buy Blackberry hub password keeper and more on any andriod. So that will help with the learning curve. But it's a monthly payment.

pinhunter27

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
A little update. I wasn't eligible for the promotional items because I decided to buy the note out right. I'm going to give this device a run through for the next 10-12 days to see if the device and the platform are for me.

I bought my phone out right and still got the promotional item choice (gear it 2 or sdcard) . I bought mine from best buy. The offer is through samsung. Afaik..it Doesn't matter to samsung as long as you buy it from an authorized retailer. Just make sure you buy it before the deal ends.

If you have Verizon...be informed that Verizon's note7 has some different firmware than other note7...since you mentioned waiting for an unlocked version.

Last edited:

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I bought my phone out right and still got the promotional item choice (gear it 2 or sdcard) . I bought mine from best buy. The offer is through samsung. Afaik..it Doesn't matter to samsung as long as you buy it from an authorized retailer. Just make sure you buy it before the deal ends.

If you have Verizon...be informed that Verizon's note7 has some different firmware than other note7...since you mentioned waiting for an unlocked version.

I'm going to chalk it up to the misinformed... the Best Buy Mobile sales associates told me I wasn't eligible because I wasn't renewing my contract. Which in hind sight I guess I could have, but I was able to pay for it out right with Best Buy, so I did it that way anyway. I haven't been under an AT&T contract for at least the last 5 years, but I'd rather not have to be under any contract regardless. 256 would have been nice, but I have 32 &64 GB sd cards already. Maybe around the holidays I'll look to pick up a 256GB... the 128GBs are on the low now too, so we'll see.

I am on AT&T and that's the carrier version I got. Very disappointed that I had to get the carrier retail box with it. It's not a critical difference, but IMO, it really cheapens the overall appeal of the device coming out of the blue & white box.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to chalk it up to the misinformed... the Best Buy Mobile sales associates told me I wasn't eligible because I wasn't renewing my contract. Which in hind sight I guess I could have, but I was able to pay for it out right with Best Buy, so I did it that way anyway. I haven't been under an AT&T contract for at least the last 5 years, but I'd rather not have to be under any contract regardless. 256 would have been nice, but I have 32 &64 GB sd cards already. Maybe around the holidays I'll look to pick up a 256GB... the 128GBs are on the low now too, so we'll see.

I am on AT&T and that's the carrier version I got. Very disappointed that I had to get the carrier retail box with it. It's not a critical difference, but IMO, it really cheapens the overall appeal of the device coming out of the blue & white box.
Well Best Buy was doing gifts there in the store also.

Every Samsung flagship now gets gifts from Samsung now.

Last edited:

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site

They may not have wanted to give you one but i would press my luck if i were you and submit a redemption claim with Samsung and see if they will let you redeem https://promos.samsungpromotions.com/galaxyoffer

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
They may not have wanted to give you one but i would press my luck if i were you and submit a redemption claim with Samsung and see if they will let you redeem https://promos.samsungpromotions.com/galaxyoffer

I am going to try my luck on this. Going to stop into a different Best Buy tomorrow after work, because they're actually closer than the one I purchased from. I called them, and asked to speak with a Samsung Rep, after some back and forth, I told them that I wasn't told about the promotion at all and I found out about it when I went to samsung's website. They said I had to bring everything back in (phone, box, receipt) with me, and they will look it over, and rescan it, that it was an oversight, and should be able to take care of me. Fingers crossed!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Good choice with the Note line! Samsung makes superb devices, and the Note series is no different. My mother has always used Samsung devices, so I've fiddled with them from time to time; and I must say, the experience is smooth and very good. Be prepared for awesome display and great features!

As for what to look out for, I would say that customization is one major component of Android's OS. Everything from the icons on your screen to your lock pattern can be customized; and the app possibilities are endless! It can be a little overwhelming, but you can always delete launchers or apps and start fresh! Find what you like and what works best for you!

Also, Samsung devices in particular have superb cameras; so I'd fiddle with your camera app and see what it's like! Happy Phone Weekend! :)

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Good choice with the Note line! Samsung makes superb devices, and the Note series is no different. My mother has always used Samsung devices, so I've fiddled with them from time to time; and I must say, the experience is smooth and very good. Be prepared for awesome display and great features!

As for what to look out for, I would say that customization is one major component of Android's OS. Everything from the icons on your screen to your lock pattern can be customized; and the app possibilities are endless! It can be a little overwhelming, but you can always delete launchers or apps and start fresh! Find what you like and what works best for you!

Also, Samsung devices in particular have superb cameras; so I'd fiddle with your camera app and see what it's like! Happy Phone Weekend! :)

Thanks Morty!!
So far, I have kept the stock launcher. I don't want to get too deep into customization with it just yet, in case I decide that it's just not what I need, and take it back. But I am very interested in finding and looking over these launcher apps... I am so unfamiliar with everything android at the moment. I am trying to figure out how to get comfortable with this device just for my day to day work purposes first, and then going to see what I can do to make it more fun after that. I have been snapping a few pictures here and there, and it is really amazing!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Morty!!
So far, I have kept the stock launcher. I don't want to get too deep into customization with it just yet, in case I decide that it's just not what I need, and take it back. But I am very interested in finding and looking over these launcher apps... I am so unfamiliar with everything android at the moment. I am trying to figure out how to get comfortable with this device just for my day to day work purposes first, and then going to see what I can do to make it more fun after that. I have been snapping a few pictures here and there, and it is really amazing!

I definitely get what you're saying - keeping things at stock now and then customizing later is a great way to go! If you don't want to commit to the change of a launcher just yet, you can always download a theme that you like from the Google Play app store (it only changes the look of your icons and wallpapers; and you can still change your wallpaper and take the theme off if you so choose). Also, I believe Samsung has built-in font selection, so you can tweak the fonts around and see what you like! My G3 came with fonts and I loved switching, but I ended up downloading a font; and it actually truly does change the style of your phone.

Glad to hear that you are liking the camera! Enjoy! :)

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android and to Android Central! We are glad you are here! What color did you pick?
Thank you! I opted for the Black. I could have went with the Blue, but I like the look of the endless black screen on my cell phones. And the black frame on this device gives it a very stealthy and sleek appearance, to me. I did like the blue too, and even had the opportunity to go with the blue, but the black falls more into my liking. If they had a red, or different shade of blue, I might have gone for one of those instead.

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
My husband has the black and I have the blue. The black is so sharp looking. That's a great choice! I do love my blue though lol. We're happy to help if you need anything else!

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

The offer is through Samsung, but for Best Buy, the store is handling the promo items and BB actually states that in order to get the promotion, you need to purchase and activate the phone through them. I noticed, however, if you did it online - the system let you get the promo items even if you buy it full price without activation (which is how I did it). Did you do it online or in-store? I think in-store they might be more stringent with that requirement.

I think it's dumb for BB to require you to have it activated through them to get the promo items.

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
Oh if you have a Samsung Smart TV you can also connect the phone and mirror the screen to your TV.
What's cool is you can also cast whatever is showing on your Samsung TV back to your phone. I was watching directv on my TV, and was able to send it to my note and watch it there. Not sure why one would want to do that, but its possible!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Oh the camera seems to be really good. I was looking through the Note 7 pictures thread and I was surprised how good some of those pictures are.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Morty!!
I guess I'm going to go stock and I hate that.. I'm so used to Nova launcher now. I'm guessing to make use of the edge I need to stay stock. The funny thing, I've always stayed stock and didn't mind it. For years launchers would always lag for me. The last couple of years I've been using Nova with no lag.. I'm so sold on Nova.

If Samsung would just let us use our own icons and change them all like Nova does, I would be happy.

ETA: I just found out that Nova supports the edge panels.. I'll be going back to Nova!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power