On the verge of picking one up...

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
So tonight I was about to pick up the Note 7 at Best Buy. The only reason I didn't get it tonight, was because they were 10 minutes from closing, and I knew I'd need more time to choose what color, and accessories.

I'm on the verge of picking up this device before the weekend is up. This will be my first Samsung, and first Android device.

What do I need to know as a fist time android user and a first time note user?

I was really on the fence as to which device I should move to next, but my fiancée convinced me that I should just get the note7. I wanted to try to wait to see if they would announce an unlocked version with possibly the exynos chip in it. But after seeing and playing with it in person a few times since the release, the more I want to upgrade now, lol.

Any info and tips for a first timer is appreciated! And hopefully I will be asking more questions with this device in hand soon!

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
So tonight I was about to pick up the Note 7 at Best Buy. The only reason I didn't get it tonight, was because they were 10 minutes from closing, and I knew I'd need more time to choose what color, and accessories.

I'm on the verge of picking up this device before the weekend is up. This will be my first Samsung, and first Android device.

I was really on the fence as to which device I should move to next, but my fiancée convinced me that I should just get the note7. I wanted to try to wait to see if they would announce an unlocked version with possibly the exynos chip in it. But after seeing and playing with it in person a few times since the release, the more I want to upgrade now, lol.

Any info and tips for a first timer is appreciated! And hopefully I will be asking more questions with this device in hand soon!

What phone ya coming from? Don't be shy! Knowing what ecosystem you're coming from will help others help ya!

Come to the dark side!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
You came to the right site. Very friendly helpful and informative.
It can be overwhelming coming from iOS. But Android allows you to customize. Learn the basics and the rest will follow suit. The Note 7 is a great device.I have had all the Notes and this one is the best.
If you elect to get from Best Buy they will guide you thru it. They are Samsung experts.
You will have lots of Support.

Posted using Note7

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
What phone ya coming from? Don't be shy! Knowing what ecosystem you're coming from will help others help ya!

Come to the dark side!

Are you switching from iPhone?
I'm actually coming from a BlackBerry Passport. I've been a BlackBerry user since the original Bold 9000. And to be honest, if it wasn't for the lack of BB10 devices, I'd stay on here, as it's been the best device and OS for me for so many years. And because I do so many different types of work, it's been the best device to help me manage my various email addresses and tasks. But as with everything, my needs and usage has changed and unfortunately the way things are with BB, they cannot seem to accommodate my needs. So I'm forced to look elsewhere. And because I've already side loaded so many android apps, I figured I should probably give one of the android devices a shot now. I've not been the biggest Apple person for so many years, and the 6s is their first device that peaked my interests, but only on a hardware level. I personally don't like the iOS interface or experience very much. So android seems to be my best option.

PrestigeWorldWide91

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Gotcha. I didn't know anyone still used blackberry lol! I used to have one back in the day. I think you will be very pleased with the Note7. I myself just came over from iPhone on launch day. This phone is fantastic. Since I came from iOS and not blackberry, I'm not sure how much advice I can give. Back up your photos and important notes/messages to make the device transfer easier at the store.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm actually coming from a BlackBerry Passport. I've been a BlackBerry user since the original Bold 9000. And to be honest, if it wasn't for the lack of BB10 devices, I'd stay on here, as it's been the best device and OS for me for so many years. And because I do so many different types of work, it's been the best device to help me manage my various email addresses and tasks. But as with everything, my needs and usage has changed and unfortunately the way things are with BB, they cannot seem to accommodate my needs. So I'm forced to look elsewhere. And because I've already side loaded so many android apps, I figured I should probably give one of the android devices a shot now. I've not been the biggest Apple person for so many years, and the 6s is their first device that peaked my interests, but only on a hardware level. I personally don't like the iOS interface or experience very much. So android seems to be my best option.

Lol, haven't seen a Blackberry user in forever!! My first phone beyond a flip phone was a Blackberry Bold, and man that thing was indestructible. I loved it so much I kept it.

Unfortunately, that was the last Blackberry I owned, so hopefully I can help ya in some way!!

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to android.

My advice is take the salesman's words w a grain of salt.. no offense to them but the one's ive delt with are not as knowledgeable as the people on this site.

My advice is spend a lot of time on youtube watching reviews and tips n tricks on the note 7. I spend time watching videos and reading on the forums and it is probably the best way to learn the phone.

Good luck!

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to android.

My advice is take the salesman's words w a grain of salt.. no offense to them but the one's ive delt with are not as knowledgeable as the people on this site.

My advice is spend a lot of time on youtube watching reviews and tips n tricks on the note 7. I spend time watching videos and reading on the forums and it is probably the best way to learn the phone.

Good luck!

Thank you!

I've been on these boards for a little bit now. Lurking to learn more so about the device, and then some about the OS. I've watched just about every youtube quick review and full review since launch for the Note7. Some not so helpful, and a couple that I felt were very honest and very helpful.

I was originally thinking about picking up the Priv, but now that I know I can get some of the major or important features from BB10 on Android, I'm looking for a major flagship device that will get me some nice hardware features to enjoy and learn as well. I feel like the Note7 would fill that role.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Thank you!

I've been on these boards for a little bit now. Lurking to learn more so about the device, and then some about the OS. I've watched just about every youtube quick review and full review since launch for the Note7. Some not so helpful, and a couple that I felt were very honest and very helpful.

I was originally thinking about picking up the Priv, but now that I know I can get some of the major or important features from BB10 on Android, I'm looking for a major flagship device that will get me some nice hardware features to enjoy and learn as well. I feel like the Note7 would fill that role.

Posted via the Android Central App

This one that just came out seems very helpful in learning what Note 7 can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_7vS-Y0dHI

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
First off I'd also like to say welcome, you'll find a wealth of knowledge here as I'm sure you already know if you've been lurking for a bit.

I moved over to Android with the S3 from a BB Bold after swearing for years nothing could ever take the place of my BB. Now here I set with my 5th Note device only missing out on the original.

Back when I switched, the biggest concern I had was finding a device that could handle my email anything close to the BB. I also knew I'd miss BBM. I went through several email apps, some good and some not so much. I've ended up using Nine as my mail client (exchange mail) and it's been the best by far. Very customizable and very well supported by the dev.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll find everything you need on this platform. Good luck with the transition and please ask away, seems like this crowd lives to help others.

I can't imagine having to give up on the Note series, no other device comes close for me.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

The new BlackBerry Hub should help. I never used BB though. I was a WinMo and Symbian guy back in those days.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys!

Can anyone tell me if the "Briefing" page is replaceable with a different app? I'm wondering if I can us that window for my inbox, more specifically the Hub+ app for the use of the unified inbox much like it is natively implimented on BB10. This would be a really big help if it is.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Welcome. I left BB after the Storm 2 and have not looked back. It took a minute to get over no BBM and the email integration, but there is so much gained. I am still sad that RIM imploded like they did. Talk about death by successes.

Anyway, I think you will really like this platform. You may have to work to get a couple of the functions, but you will open so many you've never had.

Finally, briefing cannot be switched out in the TW launcher, just turned off and disabled (recommended).

Using Google launcher gives you Google Now as that page. This is what Samsung was trying to copy. I love Google Now and the Google launcher because this.

As for the hub, I am not familiar enough with that to help. I would think at worst you vould add it as an edge app for instant access anywhere. That is how I am accessing Google Now atm, and it works well.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys!

Can anyone tell me if the "Briefing" page is replaceable with a different app? I'm wondering if I can us that window for my inbox, more specifically the Hub+ app for the use of the unified inbox much like it is natively implimented on BB10. This would be a really big help if it is.

You can disable the Briefing page and you can create a new page and set up a email widget.
It works the same on the note.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
You can disable the Briefing page and you can create a new page and set up a email widget.
It works the same on the note.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHaS4PgV8mY

Thank you for this!

Another noob question...

Can you have a clean home screen? I know on iOS and BB10, this is a native option, to keep one screen clean of any icons or widgets. I've noticed on the android devices that I've had a chance to see, that it's all full with widgets and icons and the Google search box.

I personally really like to have the one screen to show of the beauty of the screen with different wallpapers.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for this!

Another noob question...

Can you have a clean home screen? I know on iOS and BB10, this is a native option, to keep one screen clean of any icons or widgets. I've noticed on the android devices that I've had a chance to see, that it's all full with widgets and icons and the Google search box.

I personally really like to have the one screen to show of the beauty of the screen with different wallpapers.
Yes, you are not forced to have any icons or widgets on your home screen. Well you do have to have the app drawer, but that's it.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site

You'll need to make an Android (Google) account, and a Samsung account to use with your Note. Take your time thinking about your account name/email because you're going to be stuck with it (Myself and many others have come to regret the names we choose as time past. I recommend against naming it after your device, the manufacturer of the device, or a funny or cute name because over time you'll probably move on to other things and wish you had chosen a name that you didn't out grow).

Get familiar with the app manager and the battery setting areas as what you have running will have an effect on your performance and battery life.

Start using and getting familiar and using the unique features of the Note 7 (the S-pen, etc) early on as the longer you put off learning and using those the less likely you are to use them later.

Hopefully you can still get the free memory card or fit2 with your purchase.
Sign up for Samsung pay in the Samsung pay app, and be sure to use it before the end of this month to get your $20 Samsung gift card.
If you have an Amazon Prime account download Amazon video to get access to lots of free videos (they look and sound really good playing on the Note 7, and you might find it looking better than watching them on a giant tv you have at home).

If you've dropped phones in the past be sure to get yourself a case and screen protector to protect your device.

Ask questions on the forum and do searches on the Internet if you have questions or problems you encounter.

Last edited:

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
You'll need to make an Android (Google) account, and a Samsung account to use with your Note. Take your time thinking about your account name/email because you're going to be stuck with it (Myself and many others have come to regret the names we choose as time past. I recommend against naming it after your device, the manufacturer of the device, or a funny or cute name because over time you'll probably move on to other things and wish you had chosen a name that you didn't out grow).

Get familiar with the app manager and the battery setting areas as what you have running will have an effect on your performance and battery life.

Start using and getting familiar and using the unique features of the Note 7 (the S-pen, etc) early on as the longer you put off learning and using those the less likely you are to use them later.

Hopefully you can still get the free memory card or fit2 with your purchase.
Sign up for Samsung pay in the Samsung pay app, and be sure to use it before the end of this month to get your $20 Samsung gift card.
If you have an Amazon Prime account download Amazon video to get access to lots of free videos (they look and sound really good playing on the Note 7, and you might find it looking better than watching them on a giant tv you have at home).

If you've dropped phones in the past be sure to get yourself a case and screen protector to protect your device.

Ask questions on the forum and do searches on the Internet if you have questions or problems you encounter.

Thank you!

I have a couple of different gmail accounts, so I won't have a problem with that. And I have the Google play store and services on my Passport, so I will likely just use that one.

I have a couple Samsung TVs, so I know they're going to work well with the note.

And I already have plans for screen protectors and cases in mind. I need my device to last me for at least 2 years, and I use it a lot every day, from social media needs, to day job communications. Are their any cases or screen protectors that are best recommended?

I've been seeing that I might be eligible for the fit2, though I'd prefer the 256 memory card if I could. And thanks for the tip about the gift card, I'll try to remember to register for that as soon as I decide to pick up the device.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
A little update. I wasn't eligible for the promotional items because I decided to buy the note out right. I'm going to give this device a run through for the next 10-12 days to see if the device and the platform are for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma