Tip for quickly turning on power saving mode

vmmatty

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I really like the new power saving mode and the ability to tune only what I want, including the screen resolution. What I don't really love is how many taps are required to bring up the settings to enable the mode. I wanted to share a quick tip for how to launch these modes very quickly. If you followed my other post on how to enable Samsung Cloud on Verizon then you're already familiar with this method.

Using either Nova Launcher or QuickShortcutMaker, create a shortcut for a new activity and scroll to "Phone maintenance" and expand it. You'll see a number of options but the only two that matter are the two I've labeled in the following screenshot.

2016-08-26 22.13.07.jpg

There are two options which can quickly get you to enable the power saving modes. I've labeled them as 1 and 2 in the above screenshot.

Selecting option 1 as an activity will bring up the last power saving mode you configured. From there you can simply tap Apply and it'll turn that mode on. In my opinion this is the faster way since it remembers your last settings and it centers the dialog box so you can easily hit Apply. This screenshot shows what you'll see.

2016-08-26 22.15.09.jpg

Selection option 2 as an activity will bring you into the screen as if you hit the "Customize" button. You'll be able to tweak the settings and then hit Apply to enable power saving. You can technically just hit Apply and enable the settings with one tap but it requires a reach since Apply is at the top so if you want that then use option 1. This one is useful if you like to tweak the power saving settings every time. Here's what you'll see with that action:

2016-08-26 22.14.47.jpg

Now that you have your activity created you can quickly launch into the power saving mode dialogs and enable it with two taps rather than having to navigate the settings menus every time. Here are some thoughts for what to do next (just some suggestions):

1) Put the newly created activity icon in your dock so it's available on any home screen for easy access.
2) Put the newly created activity icon on the Tasks Edge panel for easy access.
3) Assign the activity to a Nova Launcher gesture. For example, on my phone if I swipe down with two fingers it immediately brings up the option 1 dialog. This is my personal favorite but I listed it last because I know not everyone uses Nova.

Just thought I'd share something I did to make my life a little easier. It's no different than manually launching these options but it saves you the trouble of navigating settings menu each time and is useful if you use these power saving modes often. If you poke around in the Phone maintenance activities you'll also find activities for launching Samsung Cloud, seeing RAM usage, and a couple of others (depending on your carrier some may or may not work).

Hope it helps others!

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
That isn't a choice in the Sprint variant. I use these shortcuts all the time, so this is a bummer. I'll have to dig deeper and see if there is another setting by a different name for Sprint phones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084