10-04-2016 01:34 AM
283 ... 89101112
tools
    Love this device. My one real issue is something I hope I can get my car dealer to fix. My 2013 X3 won't stay connected to my Note 7. It finds it pairs nicely and then connects and disconnects over and over. After about 6-7 repairs on its own, the BMW itself just removed the phone from memory and my Note 7 still shows it.

I need to pair it again. And the same thing continues to happen. Endlessly.

My iPhone works perfectly with it. No issues at all. This really sucks because I travel a lot for work and put about 2500 miles on my car each month so I am constantly on the phone with customers and then using it to listen to music and audible.

This one thing is such a huge deal for me.
    Do you know if this is confined to the 2013 model or across all beamers?
    08-30-2016 06:44 AM
    I only bought it for the design. And needed a new phone. The new IPhone wasn't coming out soon enough. So i jumped ship. Maybe I'll go back to IPhone next year.
    08-30-2016 10:21 AM
    If you go into display settings you can switch the display mode. The default one is a bit more saturated while the 'standard mode' one is technically the most accurate sRGB display, iirc.
    I know, I have it on basic because it's the nicest. The default was way too saturated for my taste, I just don't like AMOLED compared to IPS, I have really picky eyes that seem to notice even the slightest bit of a defect/amoled qualities (tinting/lines/banding)
    08-30-2016 10:47 AM
    I personally don't find iOS all that boring, but I guess their point is if they get bored they know they can recustomize in different ways to make it feel new again.
    No. It's not themes. That gets boring too. It's the design and how you interact. It is like a comfortable shoe from 3 seasons ago.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-30-2016 06:57 PM
    The samsung emojis suck.
    08-30-2016 07:17 PM
    That is a really good analogy and perfectly sums up where I was with my iPhone and Android experience. I miss a lot of things from Android but this was marred with a really poor user experience from my Note 3 over the nine months I had it (them, I had more than one due to faulty returns). Still, I can't wait to make the switch and try again.

Android has come mucccch further than the Note 3 days so i think maybe THIS time you'll be like, "i can HAVE my sausage, and EAT it too!" lol

BTC
    Highrisedrifter likes this.
    08-31-2016 04:56 AM
    It's been a week now going from the 6S Plus and I'm enjoying every minute of it. Thought I would miss iMessage more but that was gone after 2 days. Pics are nice and clear getting them from friends etc. Videos are the downfall obviously.

The pros are just outweighing the cons if any. I get .eml attachments on a reg basis and Everytime I would try and open them in the iOS mail app the app would crash and go back to the home screen. Been like that forever and would have to go to a desktop to look. With my Note 7 not a problem. Using the Spen and creating invoices for clients on the go is amazing. It's so quick and no need for my laptop. I'm just so much more productive with the Note. It does so much more.

Another reason I stuck with iPhone so much is Wifi Calling. I spend a lot of time in my office in the basement in the evening and no reception down there. Wifi Calling was pretty important for me. My carrier only supported the iPhones for wifi calling but now have recently made some Androids enabled. Now the Note 7 has wifi calling for my carrier so I'm very happy about that.

Getting good battery life
    Amazing screen
    Apps are a little smoother on iOS but not night and day difference.

Honestly don't know what to really say. There are way too many things I love about the Note 7. It's an amazing device. I couldn't be happier switching.
    indydrummer and pcsperson like this.
    08-31-2016 05:38 AM
    iOS is boring now however the Os is the most solid out there and the most stable with timely updates.

The note 7 is shiney and new and curvatios.. it's pretty. The one thing that is worth it is the display. It's awesome! Galaxy Battery life is less, Performance is less with out work tweeking it.
    Windows 8.1 is the most solid phone OS out there...there just aren't...any...apps....I'm just going to go sit down over ------------------------>
    msm0511, libra89 and MikezDroid like this.
    08-31-2016 06:39 AM
    The performance is horrible! Apps reload, the phone feels laggy and battery life is bad for a phone with such a large capacity. I actually regret purchasing it because the galaxy S7 edge had a smooth UI and fast performance from what I have seen. Very disappointed in the note 7 so far. Sure, the design is great and I like the blue color a lot, but the software needs to be further optimized.
    08-31-2016 06:43 AM
    The performance is horrible! Apps reload, the phone feels laggy and battery life is bad for a phone with such a large capacity. I actually regret purchasing it because the galaxy S7 edge had a smooth UI and fast performance from what I have seen. Very disappointed in the note 7 so far. Sure, the design is great and I like the blue color a lot, but the software needs to be further optimized.
    If you used Smart Switch or restore when you set it up I might try a factory reset, then set up as new. Others have said it helps with performance
    indydrummer likes this.
    08-31-2016 08:58 AM
    This is a great thread. A lot of people have hit the nail on the head and echo my own sentiments that iOS is getting boring. Honestly, unless the new iPhone 7 is utterly out-of-this-world amazing, i'm gone. Also, the headphone jack removal is a big deal for me too.

My Note 3 suffered from the worst battery life imaginable. At one stage, I got three hours on a singe charge. Not three hours screen on, three hours total! I swapped that one out after factory reset after factory reset didn't resolve anything. I took it into my carrier and we both watched as the battery percentage literally fell in front of our eyes.

The next Note 3 suffered a failure that cost me over 1500GBP of work, when it turned itself off without my knowledge and wouldn't turn on. Not useful when driving. I had to find somewhere to pull over, remove the case, remove the back, pull the battery and let it stand for a few minutes before putting it all back together. By which time I had missed seven calls and four text messages, as well as countless emails from my agent regarding my availability for a job. I swore at that point that wild horses wouldn't drag me back to Samsung.

Yet here I am, eating my words (happily I might add).

I don't have the Note 7 yet as my current contract is due to expire on the 14th of September but I do have a few reservations that I would love to get cleared up by you knowledgeable folks please.

1. Are battery draining 'rogue apps' on the Play Store still a major issue?
    2. Is the OS experience of Touchwiz better than it used to be? I put Nova Prime on my Note 3 as TW was just godawful in my opinion.
    3. Is the phone region locked again? The Note 3 was region locked and as I spend a lot of my time here in the USA and back home in the UK, I need a phone where I can swap out the SIM when I go back home.
    4. How is the user experience in comparison to iOS? I don't mean specifically on certain apps, just the overall frustration level and gut feeling after swapping. I want to avoid the 'grass is greener' feeling when I swap.

I'm sure I have other questions but will put those in the appropriate threads.
    09-01-2016 01:50 PM
    This is a great thread. A lot of people have hit the nail on the head and echo my own sentiments that iOS is getting boring. Honestly, unless the new iPhone 7 is utterly out-of-this-world amazing, i'm gone. Also, the headphone jack removal is a big deal for me too.

My Note 3 suffered from the worst battery life imaginable. At one stage, I got three hours on a singe charge. Not three hours screen on, three hours total! I swapped that one out after factory reset after factory reset didn't resolve anything. I took it into my carrier and we both watched as the battery percentage literally fell in front of our eyes.

The next Note 3 suffered a failure that cost me over 1500GBP of work, when it turned itself off without my knowledge and wouldn't turn on. Not useful when driving. I had to find somewhere to pull over, remove the case, remove the back, pull the battery and let it stand for a few minutes before putting it all back together. By which time I had missed seven calls and four text messages, as well as countless emails from my agent regarding my availability for a job. I swore at that point that wild horses wouldn't drag me back to Samsung.

Yet here I am, eating my words (happily I might add).

I don't have the Note 7 yet as my current contract is due to expire on the 14th of September but I do have a few reservations that I would love to get cleared up by you knowledgeable folks please.

1. Are battery draining 'rogue apps' on the Play Store still a major issue?
    2. Is the OS experience of Touchwiz better than it used to be? I put Nova Prime on my Note 3 as TW was just godawful in my opinion.
    3. Is the phone region locked again? The Note 3 was region locked and as I spend a lot of my time here in the USA and back home in the UK, I need a phone where I can swap out the SIM when I go back home.
    4. How is the user experience in comparison to iOS? I don't mean specifically on certain apps, just the overall frustration level and gut feeling after swapping. I want to avoid the 'grass is greener' feeling when I swap.

I'm sure I have other questions but will put those in the appropriate threads.
    1) I have never really had an issue with "rogue apps". I don't download anything too far fetched and stick with the tried and true apps so maybe that is why. My Note 7 lasts me all day without a problem, but that is going to vary from person to person depending on how you use the phone.

2) Touchwiz is way better than it used to be. It is still the heaviest skin out there, but it's better. I still use Nova, but that is because I like some things that just are not in most stock skins. I used it on the Nexus 6P as well.

3) Not sure about the region locked. Hopefully someone has an answer for you.

4) I think the user experience is great. I have not had any of the issues that others have had. I use both Android and iOS so I can compare fairly. Is the Note 7 as smooth as the iPhone 6S? For me, most of the time it is. I prefer to do most things on the Note over the 6S. They are both great phones, but my personal preference right now is the Note. Not necessarily android, but the Note in particular. I use the S-Pen and I like the features that the Note brings so I will deal with some lag here and there. The iPhone certainly isn't perfect in the lag department despite what people like to say.

So at the end of the day, it is really a personal choice. If you are coming to the Note and looking for iOS, then don't bother. You will only be frustrated and end up on here telling everyone how much this phone sucks. LOL. I kid...sorta....but I see that a lot on here. I hope you are able to give it a fair try and not come in looking for an iOS experience. If you do, you might just like it and stay around.
    09-01-2016 02:44 PM
    So at the end of the day, it is really a personal choice. If you are coming to the Note and looking for iOS, then don't bother. You will only be frustrated and end up on here telling everyone how much this phone sucks. LOL. I kid...sorta....but I see that a lot on here. I hope you are able to give it a fair try and not come in looking for an iOS experience. If you do, you might just like it and stay around.
    Thanks for that. I like this last paragraph a lot. I really am a 'grass is greener' kinda guy, to my chagrin, which has always got me into problems before. My Galaxy S2 was rooted with Cyanogenmod and still bullet proof. My stock HTC One M7 was similarly robust. My S3 was awful and both of my Note 3s were equally as bad.

I've had ups and downs with Android and yes I have to say that my iOS experience has been pretty fluid and robust over the years. I'm just getting insanely bored of their OS now. I miss a lot of functions from my Android days that are locked down in iOS, like Geofencing, NFC tags, more effective spam call screening and blocking plus many more. I feel like the same apps are usually different between OSes, with iOS apps being more well put together for the most part. Saying that, I haven't had an Android phone at all for nearly three years now, back on 4.2.2 I think, so things may have changed. I wish I could take a Note 7 for a drive for a couple of weeks before I change my current contract and upgrade though.
    09-01-2016 02:52 PM
    Thanks for that. I like this last paragraph a lot. I really am a 'grass is greener' kinda guy, to my chagrin, which has always got me into problems before. My Galaxy S2 was rooted with Cyanogenmod and still bullet proof. My stock HTC One M7 was similarly robust. My S3 was awful and both of my Note 3s were equally as bad.

I've had ups and downs with Android and yes I have to say that my iOS experience has been pretty fluid and robust over the years. I'm just getting insanely bored of their OS now. I miss a lot of functions from my Android days that are locked down in iOS, like Geofencing, NFC tags, more effective spam call screening and blocking plus many more. I feel like the same apps are usually different between OSes, with iOS apps being more well put together for the most part. Saying that, I haven't had an Android phone at all for nearly three years now, back on 4.2.2 I think, so things may have changed. I wish I could take a Note 7 for a drive for a couple of weeks before I change my current contract and upgrade though.
    Android and TouchWiz has matured a lot since 4.2.2. While I do agree that iOS apps look more polished at times, I will take function over polish. Now that doesn't mean that some iOS apps don't have more function, but in general I have more flexibility with those same apps on the android side.

I think you just have to know what you are getting with Android as much as someone moving from Android to iOS would have to have the same attitude. You get a lot more with Android. You get more options and more features (some more useful than others). Those things do come at a sacrifice though. It is a sacrifice that Apple isn't willing to make. It has been my experience that those sacrifices are getting less and less each year. Like I said before though. I have not had any issues with a phone from either side in the last 3 years or so, including my Note 3. I guess I am just really lucky.
    sweetypie31 likes this.
    09-01-2016 03:11 PM

You always hear about iOS being the same and stale, but that's actually how I'm starting to feel about android. I've now had only android phones and tablets for the last 6-7 years and am ready for something different. I'm probably going to buy the iPhone 7 and experience what everyone considers lame. To me it will be a new and different experience.

Like you mention, I wish I could test drive for a couple weeks before I make a big contractual agreement in case iOS does turn out to be as stale as everyone says
    09-01-2016 03:37 PM
    I am a long time iPhone guy - going to this platform due to the screen, and a couple of network tools that are on this platform that weren't on my iPhone. I am still weighing the options, but prefer the iPhone for what it does, and what it does well. For enterprise level things, the iPhone is just better. The speed of which it handles email (default app to default app). I can swipe to delete "fast" on the iPhone right out of the box. I can swipe and delete SMS messages, right out of the box. The sound level when I take it to low, it remains low. On (1) on the android, it's just too loud. (Google it, it's a big issue). One of which I half cured with an app, but you should not have to. The increments in which the sound moves up/down is large.

I will be replacing my third phone tonight at Tmobile due to an issue with notifications coming in and the sound relating it self, over and over again unless you hit the power button. I have a bit of lag, but not anywhere what some people are getting. Not sure if it's because I store most everything on the SD card or not. I have apps that just "stop working". SMS messages, games, apps, email.. all stock apps (except the two games). Nothing else has been put on the phone either.

I have gone through all of the steps on these phones that I have had. Best buy Samsung Rep doing the inlace software restore. Master resets. Keeping "apps off the phone" which defeats the purpose..

Some other cons are the fragile nature of the phone. Scratches... which all phones get. But for sporting a "new glass" that is supposed to be this and that, it's not any better than the iPhone's gorilla glass. The EDGE is a pain in the butt sometimes. If you're holding the phone in your hand firmly and depressing the phone to keep it secure in your hand, sometimes it triggers actions on the side of the glass. It still accepts on the side of the edge, as it does on the top of the screen... It's more of an annoyance than anything.

Also reception issues. Some people claim they have none. Others have a lot of issues. This does seem to be carrier specific however... As ATT and Verizon owners in some places were able to get in place upgrades out of the box. Where as TMO has not...

There are other quirks too... but you get the idea.

The s-pen is pretty cool.. and a necessity for some things. Especially with the edge design.

IT's a good looking phone... But as of now to answer your question that you asked
    09-01-2016 03:48 PM
    You always hear about iOS being the same and stale, but that's actually how I'm starting to feel about android. I've now had only android phones and tablets for the last 6-7 years and am ready for something different. I'm probably going to buy the iPhone 7 and experience what everyone considers lame. To me it will be a new and different experience.

Like you mention, I wish I could test drive for a couple weeks before I make a big contractual agreement in case iOS does turn out to be as stale as everyone says
    Don't quote me on this, but I believe TMO will allow you a 15 day trial. Of course you still have to be approved for the service etc... but would be a good way to get a feel for the device and try it out.
    09-01-2016 03:49 PM

I was where you are now, when the first iPhone 6 came out. I've been enjoying iOS very much since Before I had been using Android for years spending hours and hours of tweaking the system flashing ROMs etc. With iOS I started enjoying simply using apps and not tweaking the system all the time. Everything works very reliable out of the box. Also iOS 10 beta just flies on my 6S. I admit, I'm a bit bored after 3 years with iOS but that had been the same thing with Android. So I am tempted by the Note 7 now, but I can't overlook the amazing and stable performance IOS 10 delivers. Sometimes the iPhone gets boring because everything works just so well. I honestly can't remember the last time, I had to reboot the 6S.
    09-01-2016 04:26 PM
    Well after having my note7 for the past 24 hours I can safely say I couldn't be happier. I haven't experienced any of the lag issues that people are complaining about....that was my biggest worry coming from the iPhone6S Plus.....it works flawlessly and I don't foresee myself going back to iOS anytime soon....I don't know what took me so long to make the switch but I'm happy!
    09-01-2016 04:35 PM
    I was where you are now, when the first iPhone 6 came out. I've been enjoying iOS very much since Before I had been using Android for years spending hours and hours of tweaking the system flashing ROMs etc. With iOS I started enjoying simply using apps and not tweaking the system all the time. Everything works very reliable out of the box. Also iOS 10 beta just flies on my 6S. I admit, I'm a bit bored after 3 years with iOS but that had been the same thing with Android. So I am tempted by the Note 7 now, but I can't overlook the amazing and stable performance IOS 10 delivers. Sometimes the iPhone gets boring because everything works just so well. I honestly can't remember the last time, I had to reboot the 6S.
    To be fair, the same can be said of my note 5. I've had it for a year and only rebooted it a handful of times. Android has become more reliable as the years have gone on, I would imagine the note 7 is just as reliable despite what you read on some of the forums.

Yeah I was into the ROMs and all that too. As features have been added to Android I've found less and less of a need for all that tinkering. I'm to the point where I've basically stopped customizing besides nova launcher and a clock I always use on all my phones. I basically use my phone like an iPhone, just a bunch of icons besides my one clock widget.

When/if I do go with an iPhone I know I'll miss the spen and themes though...and the color note app. I probably have books worth of notes saved in that app.
    Bertolus likes this.
    09-01-2016 04:39 PM
    I was an iPhone user from day one 2007 until last week. I traded up to the GN7, and one week later sold my iPhone 6s Plus on eBay. I think that speaks volumes about the GN7. Here are my observations:

1. Performance is subjectively as fast as the iP6s+. I say subjectively because I know there is a firestorm out there based upon XDA Developers and others benchmarking and claiming it severely under performs. I don't game, so for me it is a perfect productivity device.

2. It is narrower, shorter, and vastly easier to operate in hand than the iP6s+. It just feels more comfortable.

3. The S-Pen is to die for - nearly as good as the Apple Pencil on the iPad Pro, and on par with the N-Trig on my Surface Pro 4.

4. Expandable memory - enough said.

5. Exceptional screen quality - vastly superior to my iP6s+.

6. Operating System - muscle memory is a real PITA, and it takes a lot to get used to where stuff is and screen elements should be, but that is not an indictment of Android. It's just like relearning where the close menu is between OS X and Windows 10.

7. On that same point, you are going to find that Android vs iOS is nearly identical to Windows vs. OS X. It's almost uncanny the similarity in the different OS approaches.

8. Wireless charging is a whole new ballgame for user convenience.

9. Not sure I'm sold on glass front and back - just seems more fragile.

10. Concerned at moment about scratch-gate, screen gap-gate, and battery-gate and can't yet tell if this all amounts to a long-term flawed system that will not hold resale/trade value.

11. Beware: tribal warfare (between Samsung owners vs all other Android devices) is nearly as vicious as Fandroids vs iSheep. It's almost as brutal of Samsung hatred as we saw from iPhone land.

12. Customization is exhilarating and frustrating at the same time, which is to be expected. That walled garden locked us in but protected us from ourselves at times.

13. Third party apps are pretty much equivalent, but sometimes with weird quirks. For example, Outlook for Android refused to properly sync my contacts, unlike Outlook for iOS. And then there is Scrabble - what moron wrote the Android version so it brings up a full page ad between every word choice you play - with no option to even buy your way out of pop-up ad h***?

14. Lastly, I am sick and tired of the whining about the price. I get ALL of the benefits and improvements mentioned above for the same price as a 64gb iP6s+; how in any stretch of the imagination could that be considered over-priced?

Overall., it has been an excellent first week, and I love the form factor and configuration of the GN7 - I just wish I weren't watching the 14-day clock due to the possible recall decision by Samsung. If recalled, it would probably make a lot more sense to just do a return with AT&T and wait out the storm a bit. The clock is ticking...
    Bertolus and libra89 like this.
    09-01-2016 05:02 PM
    I still miss my Note 5.

One year ago, I upgraded from the iPhone 5s to the Note 5. I didn't really have reasonable expectations for the Note 5. I expected the same stellar standby battery life of ios. That was the first thing I noticed.

After only four days, I found myself back in Best Buy returning it for the 6plus. I used that for 5 months before I grew bored with ios. I sold it and bought an LG G4. While I love the G4, it's nowhere near as good as the Note 5 was. I do love the camera and expandable storage on the G4 but the performance and screen quality isn't as good.

I find myself not even using an extra battery to swap in and out. It seems like too much of a hassle. So I charge the phone when I can throughout the day. Quick chargers are a life saver.

For the future, I've resolved to pay this phone off over the course of the next 12 months and buy a mid range unlocked android phone next year. They are getting better and better. Especially with all of the problems being reported by Note 7 users. The battery exploding being one of them. That is unacceptable in a $900 Samsung.
    09-02-2016 07:45 AM
    ...I was an iPhone user from day one 2007 until last week. I traded up to the GN7, and one week later sold my iPhone 6s Plus on eBay. I think that speaks volumes about the GN7. Here are my observations:...

Overall., it has been an excellent first week, and I love the form factor and configuration of the GN7 - I just wish I weren't watching the 14-day clock due to the possible recall decision by Samsung. If recalled, it would probably make a lot more sense to just do a return with AT&T and wait out the storm a bit. The clock is ticking...
    Amazing what a good night's rest and seeing the actual recall statement does for one's rationality and perspective:

I'm sticking with the Galaxy Note 7. It is the best smartphone I have ever owned and running great. Years of experience, since the Treo 300 (including all the iPhones), leads me to say that even after only 10 days of ownership. Too many corporations play the percentages game, figure their maximum losses, and leave consumers hanging. Samsung owned up and is replacing all of the phones.

SUGGESTION TO SAMSUNG - when you issue the replacement phones, offer a free or reduced cost 2 year extended care (subject to the usual $99 deductibles for accidental damage). That's another $129 lost revenue per warranty, but not much "out of pocket" if the phones are truly as solid as I believe they are.
    09-02-2016 08:15 AM
    I've had every Note from the first one through the 4. I currently have the 3 and the 4. About two months ago I picked up an iPhone 6S+, and I notice that I switch back and forth (I was also switching back and forth to my Windows Phone, which remains my favorite mobile OS, but lack of some critical apps finally had my leave my 1520 and 830 in the drawer). I was trying to crystalize my thoughts on the differences in functionality between the Note 4 and the 6S+, and then went on vacation with just the 6S+ and an older iPad Mini, and it became a little clearer to me. The biggest difference for a business user is the lack of a file structure on the iOS. Somewhat less critical is the back button and the mult-window button on the note. Those functions can be duplicated on the 6S+, but a bit easier on the Note. I do notice that the battery life is way better on the 6S+. On the Note, I carry extra batteries, specially on long flights.

I use a tablet with inking capabilities in my work projects (observing workflow and interviewing staff at medical practices), and I've found full Windows tablets like the Surface line very frustrating to use simply because of the lack of instant-on. I also like the dockable stylus, so a Wacom digitizer is my preferred tool. I have both a Galaxy Note 8.0 and a Note 10.1 2014 Edition for use in my work. Both the ability to write in OneNote for Android, and an accessible file structure make those devices perfect for my business use (the Note phones are too small for heavy-duty note-taking). Both of my larger Note devices are sim-card enabled, so I can access files via 4G networks when I am away from WiFi. I considered the iPad Pro 9.7 with stylus, but it is almost identical in size to the Note 10.1, has no accessible file structure, and no dockable pen, as well as being expensive, and those factors ultimately disqualified that device for me.

So, finally, swinging back to the topic of this thread, will I pick up a Note 7 and continue my pathological device switching? Probably will (assuming they solve the exploding battery issues). For those times when I am travelling either locally or longer distances with only one device, and the ability to jot notes on the fly, the Note phones are ideal.

I much prefer iOS over Android, but both systems work for me (and yes, I do like the "just works" characteristics of the 6S+). I think that ultimately it comes down to personal preference and usage needs. The large installed base of each OS suggests that both systems are workable solutions, and similarly, the millions of Note phones and iOS devices out in the wild suggest that both hardware platforms are capable for fulfilling their missions.

Ron
    libra89 and ecfritts like this.
    09-02-2016 10:18 AM
    You know what I realized in all of this? The reason I like the Note 7 better than my iPhone 6s+ is because unlike my Note 7, I really didn't want to pick up the iPhone and mess with it so much despite having it for just a few weeks when I first got it.

There was nothing remarkable about it. I downloaded my apps and used it a lot for a few days. Then the novelty wore off and while it was reliable for the most part with great battery life, I used it for email and texts. The normal stuff. I was more into using my Mac which is older than anything else.

I've had this phone for two weeks and I'm still tweaking it and using it, discovering new things all the time.

It's a better phone to hold and use for me. That's the biggest test for me. Which one makes me want to use it more.

Note 7 is the one.
    Joshua Luther2 and dstrauss like this.
    09-02-2016 11:13 AM
283 ... 89101112