10-04-2016 01:34 AM
283 ... 101112
tools
    In my experience it's not just tech savvy people that use Hangouts necessarily. But it's mostly all-in Googlers that use it. None of my iPhone only friends use it. They just don't see the point. And I kinda agree with them. I have Hangouts, but I've only used it twice. Once because a buyer of my Moto 360 preferred it, and because a product manager at Nextbit wanted to use it for a video chat.
    I find Hangouts to have to many options available which makes it hard to move around in. I pretty much feel that same way about any messaging app other than SMS because everybody has to have the same app or its no good. At least with imessage if a none iphone user wanted to contact you it could seemlessly. No extra hoops it just went right through via the carrier. This day and time most if not all plans include unlimted messaging so the 3rd party apps don't have the allure they used to
    09-30-2016 07:46 AM
    I tried What's App, but nobody I message regularly uses it so I deleted it. I just can't get my iOS friends to try anything other than iMessage. I get why. All the people we chat with on a daily basis use iOS. There's just no real reason for them. Personally I like to try new things and experiment, but they've found a solution that works for them so they stick with it.
    What is it about imessage. as far regular normal sms (text) most plans these days include unlimted texting. I'm sure a large percentage of traffic on iMessage is normal text messaging. Another thing people may not think about is if your out and about away from wifi iMessage uses data because it does not go across your carrier network but travels instead via data through apples servers. Just Saying you know...
    09-30-2016 08:06 AM
    WhatsApp is very popular with the international crowd -- due to roaming and higher Android use I think. Folks I message with are on iOS, Android and Windows, so for group texting, it had to be WhatsApp. We have a lot of ex-US friends and family in the group, so everybody used it. I, like you, had deleted it long ago due to no usage, but came back in the last year or so.

iMessage lock-in reminds me of BBM. That kept me on Black Berry for a generation or two longer than I should have stayed.

I still use SMS and Hangouts for certain friends. A unified messaging service would be awesome.
    That what iMessage is. If your text cannot go via iMessage due to a person on a non apple device then it will travel via carrier network. As far as a text message what difference does it make if it goes through apple servers or via carrier network. Actually via apple servers uses data if your away from wifi and carrier network does not and since most plans these days have unlimited texting right not let the carrier route be the default route and save the data.
    09-30-2016 08:24 AM
    That what iMessage is. If your text cannot go via iMessage due to a person on a non apple device then it will travel via carrier network. As far as a text message what difference does it make if it goes through apple servers or via carrier network. Actually via apple servers uses data if your away from wifi and carrier network does not and since most plans these days have unlimited texting right not let the carrier route be the default route and save the data.
    Depends. If sending a video or something it is a drastic difference if going through carrier or apple servers.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-30-2016 08:25 AM
    Depends. If sending a video or something it is a drastic difference if going through carrier or apple servers.
    Agree but I was mainly just speaking about a normal text you know
    09-30-2016 08:27 AM
    Despite the recall fiasco, I'm enjoying my replacement Note 7 - it does everything I need it to. I'm finding the aftermarket accessory market (cases, screen protectors, etc) to be lacking compared to what's available for the iPhones I've had. I guess if I'm making cases, I'm focusing on the best selling products, and regardless of it's positives, the Note 7 has a damaged reputation, and probably forecasted to sell poorly going forward.
    09-30-2016 09:25 AM
    Despite the recall fiasco, I'm enjoying my replacement Note 7 - it does everything I need it to. I'm finding the aftermarket accessory market (cases, screen protectors, etc) to be lacking compared to what's available for the iPhones I've had. I guess if I'm making cases, I'm focusing on the best selling products, and regardless of it's positives, the Note 7 has a damaged reputation, and probably forecasted to sell poorly going forward.
    Hmmmmm. I don't find that at all with cases. All the major brands made cases for Note 7 and I have found some cases that are unusual and very nice.

Personally I'm rocking the LED case since I hate screen protectors.
    10-03-2016 03:58 AM
    I switched right back to IOS. Gave android another try. I keep going back to IOS.
    10-04-2016 01:34 AM
283 ... 101112