10-04-2016 01:34 AM
283 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Since I have both, an iPhone for work, and Android phones for personal use, and have only seen one app that got a significant update to iOS a few months before the same update to Android, and I have all of my apps on both, I'm just curious what are some examples of these apps that are so much better on iOS. That seems to be a common understanding here. So I'm not arguing the point, just curious.
    Severed is a game I had and loved on iOS that's not available on Android. My favorite news feed HeartFeed is also not on Android. IMDB is gimped on Android compared to iOS. I don't really use Google services or apps very often. YouTube I use a decent amount on my off days, but that's the only thing I use a lot. I don't use gmail (other than to sign in to Android), I don't use Google Photos, Drive, and in my area Apple Maps is actually better than Google Maps. I'm assuming it's because I don't use many Google services, but I find Siri better than Google Now.

Again. I'm not saying iOS is better for everybody, or even me for that matter. When I had my 6s Plus I spent about equal time with it and my Robin. And I like my Note a lot! I'm just giving examples of why some can prefer iOS to Android, and you asked for specifics on apps that were better/unavailable.

Android and the Note 7 has many advantages over iOS. It's just a matter of weighing options.
    08-27-2016 07:26 AM
    I use a lot of Google services which compliments the choice of moving from the iPhone to the Note. My battery life is so much better now after 3 days. Not like my 6S Plus for sure but getting very good. Plus the quick charge is awesome. Only thing I miss is iMessage like many people.

My wife has an iPhone and I have Google Photos on there so when she takes pics and videos I see it within a few minutes and vice versa. Her pics sent by MMS come in clear on my Note but obviously video is brutally compressed. Extremely happy with moving to the Note and now use the Spen all the time. Will have my Spigen Neo Hybrid on Monday. 😊
    08-27-2016 07:33 AM
    I am loving the Note7. I have had it about 5 days now, coming from an iPhone 6s. There really are only 3 things I miss from iPhone. First is iMessage. Love how iMessage integrates across multiple devices. 2nd, I miss how iphone/ipad/mac enables phone calling from any device. I got used to that. 3rd is just battery life. I don't see a huge difference, it is about 20 to 25%. I am still able to get a full day, but just barely (only 3 hrs SOT so far for me). Now, I have not used any power saving modes so I can't complain to much.

Overall it is going to be a tough choice in a few days. Love this device...and the iPhone. so many pros and cons to weigh. ah...first class problems huh :-)
    08-27-2016 07:35 AM
    What I found is that once you adopt a few of the Google apps, like Google Photos, which with its insanely brilliant search capabilities where if you search for photos of people, it will find them all the way to when they were kids, these issues go away. If you stick to exactly the same apps or close that you were using for the basics on the iPhone, or just the stock apps, the experience is lacking a lot. Google Now is also much more useful in real world scenarios than Siri in my experience. I use it a lot, and it proactively reminds me to leave at a certain time due to traffic, to make an appointment that isn't even in my calendar, just one it knows I've been going to every Saturday at around the same time.
    +1 for Google Photos -- even if you are on iOS you should be using this app
    +1 for Google Now -- it is my most used app for sure. i check it reflexively throughout the day
    LeoRex, JOHNGAETANO and jdfry15 like this.
    08-27-2016 07:43 AM
    Technically, you could and maybe should be using a password manager app anyway like LastPass. If you do, you'll find that it automatically fills in the auto-generated and much more secure passwords into any app you use that still requires a username and password. Unlike iOS, where no app can paint over another, in Android, LastPass can insert usernames and passwords into any other app. You also don't have to log in with your fingerprint every single time. Just every few minutes (you decide). So this issue should be a non-issue if you invest in a decent password vault/manager, and you'll have better security too.
    +1 on LastPass, the app you will use all the time without remembering you are using it. It is that slick an useful. I switched to using it a few years ago, and now all my passwords are strong. Love it!
    08-27-2016 07:44 AM
    You mentioned setting up Android Pay. I strongly suggest setting up Samsung Pay. From what I can tell it does everything that Apple Pay does and more. Samsung pay is what mobile payments should be.

It does
    NFC payments
    Payments on "swipe" only terminals (Apple can't do this)
    Store loyalty cards
    Add gift cards

Well here are some of the things I find myself missing on my 6s+:

iMessage - I know there are some options for this but since majority of my co-workers and family are on iMessage the integration doesn't work the same

Wallet- love having all of passes and gift cards handy in that app.

Apple Pay - Maybe it's just because I haven't set up Android pay again but when I used it on my Note 5 NFC would stay in and drain my battery when not using Android pay.

Notifications - On the one hand I like the blinking light on this device. Missed it actually. On the other hand I LOVED getting notifications that would turn my iPhone screen on and then allow me to respond to that notification without unlocking the phone at all.

Thanks really it. Some apps I agree run better on iPhone but I'm not really torn on that side. Only app that really is making me mad on Android is Facebook. I have notification icon next to the FB icon even though I've got zero notifications turned on or allowed both in the app and on the phone.

On battery I'm finding that I'm getting 9-11 hours with 4-4.5 hours of SOT. That's bdtter than my Note 5 gave me. Still not giving me the 12--14 hours on my iPhone. But I did tell myself that if I can get a routine 10 hours and 4 hours of SOT given my heavier use I'd take it.

PLUS. I'd always charge my iPhone around 5pm on my drive home for 30-40 minutes and that added 15-20% so doing that on this phone adds 50-60% which is a lot better (I haven't done it on my drive yet but have st home).

Overall I'm not dropping this phone. I might be persuaded on an iPhone 8 with some sort of radical overhaul and even bigger batteries but that's a full year away and who knows, the Note 8 might get a 4000 battery and improve even more.
    cwbcpa likes this.
    08-27-2016 08:16 AM
    Since I have both, an iPhone for work, and Android phones for personal use, and have only seen one app that got a significant update to iOS a few months before the same update to Android, and I have all of my apps on both, I'm just curious what are some examples of these apps that are so much better on iOS. That seems to be a common understanding here. So I'm not arguing the point, just curious.
    Fitbit, my fitness pal, fidelity. Scrabble doesn't have a pay version so you deal with ads...some of the others are just different so it takes some getting used to, but those are ones I use a lot that are better on iOS.

In fairness I think audible is better on Android as you can shop within it, so that's a win on this side.
    08-27-2016 08:23 AM
    You mentioned setting up Android Pay. I strongly suggest setting up Samsung Pay. From what I can tell it does everything that Apple Pay does and more. Samsung pay is what mobile payments should be.

It does
    NFC payments
    Payments on "swipe" only terminals (Apple can't do this)
    Store loyalty cards
    Add gift cards
    My only thing with Samsung Pay is support from banks/card issuers. Only my bank supports Samsung Pay. None of my credit cards. Apple Pay does loyalty and gift cards as well. I do like that Samsung Pay theoretically works anywhere that accepts credit/debit, but my experience is that it doesn't always work. Could be user error on my part. Still getting used to it honestly.
    08-27-2016 08:27 AM
    Just 3 day in and I am super impressed with the note 7. The size alone blows me away compared to the 6s plus it great to hold in your hand even with a case on it. Samsung did a great job with the S7 devices this is probably why they are outselling apple again.
    JOHNGAETANO likes this.
    08-27-2016 08:33 AM
    Not sure if you know this but samsung pay will store gift cards (certain ones) and memberships. I read that Samsung uses the technology form Mobeam, which let's the Note 7 send back a pulse of light to the bar code scanner Vs. Trying to get a reflection of the code form the glass of the screen itself. I tried at two places yesterday and it work wonderfully!
    With Wallet it's more than that. It's movie tickets, concert tickets, airline tickets, all in one convenient spot.
    08-27-2016 08:39 AM
    My only thing with Samsung Pay is support from banks/card issuers. Only my bank supports Samsung Pay. None of my credit cards. Apple Pay does loyalty and gift cards as well. I do like that Samsung Pay theoretically works anywhere that accepts credit/debit, but my experience is that it doesn't always work. Could be user error on my part. Still getting used to it honestly.
    They're adding hundreds a week, so hopefully that will change. All of mine are now supported. For me, once I got used to the angle I have to hold the phone at to user MST, I've found it works literally everywhere except gas stations.
    08-27-2016 08:51 AM
    Severed is a game I had and loved on iOS that's not available on Android. My favorite news feed HeartFeed is also not on Android. IMDB is gimped on Android compared to iOS. I don't really use Google services or apps very often. YouTube I use a decent amount on my off days, but that's the only thing I use a lot. I don't use gmail (other than to sign in to Android), I don't use Google Photos, Drive, and in my area Apple Maps is actually better than Google Maps. I'm assuming it's because I don't use many Google services, but I find Siri better than Google Now.

Again. I'm not saying iOS is better for everybody, or even me for that matter. When I had my 6s Plus I spent about equal time with it and my Robin. And I like my Note a lot! I'm just giving examples of why some can prefer iOS to Android, and you asked for specifics on apps that were better/unavailable.

Android and the Note 7 has many advantages over iOS. It's just a matter of weighing options.
    Thanks. I appreciate the examples.
    08-27-2016 08:54 AM
    They're adding hundreds a week, so hopefully that will change. All of mine are now supported. For me, once I got used to the angle I have to hold the phone at to user MST, I've found it works literally everywhere except gas stations.
    I'm not giving up on it. Just need to give it a few tries. Just happens so far when I've tried to use it the stores have been busy with a line. I try once and give up because I don't wanna hold up the line. It worked flawlessly at 2 places. The others not so much.
    08-27-2016 08:54 AM
    Fitbit, my fitness pal, fidelity. Scrabble doesn't have a pay version so you deal with ads...some of the others are just different so it takes some getting used to, but those are ones I use a lot that are better on iOS.

In fairness I think audible is better on Android as you can shop within it, so that's a win on this side.
    Thanks. Appreciate the examples.
    08-27-2016 08:55 AM
    I'm not giving up on it. Just need to give it a few tries. Just happens so far when I've tried to use it the stores have been busy with a line. I try once and give up because I don't wanna hold up the line. It worked flawlessly at 2 places. The others not so much.
    Yeah, it's a but finicky, and I hear you on not wanting to hold up a line :-). Once I got it working well, I am at a point where on summer weekends I leave home with just my phone and my driver's license. Hopefully others can get there too.
    msm0511 likes this.
    08-27-2016 08:58 AM
    Having been a long time iPhone user, I am nonetheless interested in the Note 7 simply because, no matter how polished & reliable it is...iOS has become a bit stale and in need of a makeover, and it looks like Samsung has finally upped their game as far as hardware and design is concerned.

That said, I've "tried" the Verizon versions of the BlackBerry Priv, Samsung Note 5 & the Galaxy S6...to see if I was the right "fit" for Android. I came away feeling that Android was more than a bit "busy" and less intuitive than I have found iOS to be overall, or maybe that I was just not enough of t techie to maneuver my way through it. Still I'm curious. And I'm willing to give Android another try...and maybe allow it more time than I have previously, with the Note 7.

I would really love to hear from some people who have been long-time iOS users like me, and who have passed the honeymoon stage with the Note 7...and will honestly say what is great, mediocre, and what is poor on this phone vs. the iPhone they were using for ages before.

Please...no iPhone haters, or comments about iSheep and the like. I really want some non-fanboy new Android conversions to speak candidly to help me make a decision.

Thanks in advance!
    08-27-2016 09:53 AM
    Hey new to the forum but long time reade. Just got my tmobile black note 7 with a pelican case. Personally like both platforms just came from a 6s plus prior to that a note 4. Anyways its a huge step up from note 4 as far as performace mine was super laggy an gps stoped working after lollipop update. The iphone imho was smoother app to app an web scrolling but boring an screen compared to note 7 is dull but speaker was a tad bit louder. Camera is better with note its just fun to use took a day readjusting how to use. I like the grace skin lags but not bad if a lot of apps opened or right after reboot an battery life is similar to iphone. Id say take the 2 week test drive but i think the screen an water resistance will sway you as it did me. Good luck
    08-27-2016 10:30 AM
    Well here are some of the things I find myself missing on my 6s+:

iMessage - I know there are some options for this but since majority of my co-workers and family are on iMessage the integration doesn't work the same

Wallet- love having all of passes and gift cards handy in that app.

Apple Pay - Maybe it's just because I haven't set up Android pay again but when I used it on my Note 5 NFC would stay in and drain my battery when not using Android pay.

Notifications - On the one hand I like the blinking light on this device. Missed it actually. On the other hand I LOVED getting notifications that would turn my iPhone screen on and then allow me to respond to that notification without unlocking the phone at all.

Thanks really it. Some apps I agree run better on iPhone but I'm not really torn on that side. Only app that really is making me mad on Android is Facebook. I have notification icon next to the FB icon even though I've got zero notifications turned on or allowed both in the app and on the phone.

On battery I'm finding that I'm getting 9-11 hours with 4-4.5 hours of SOT. That's bdtter than my Note 5 gave me. Still not giving me the 12--14 hours on my iPhone. But I did tell myself that if I can get a routine 10 hours and 4 hours of SOT given my heavier use I'd take it.

PLUS. I'd always charge my iPhone around 5pm on my drive home for 30-40 minutes and that added 15-20% so doing that on this phone adds 50-60% which is a lot better (I haven't done it on my drive yet but have st home).

Overall I'm not dropping this phone. I might be persuaded on an iPhone 8 with some sort of radical overhaul and even bigger batteries but that's a full year away and who knows, the Note 8 might get a 4000 battery and improve even more.
    I am fairly new to Android & by no means an expert...I have read several suggestions to turn NFC off to help with battery performance. I keep my turned off and Samsung pay still works. Hope that helps some.
    08-27-2016 10:33 AM
    I love both but prefer android because of the Customization and offers more options in terms of Hardware. Can I live without Waterproof, of course but love that I HAVE THAT OPTION.

iOS will always be smoother than android because it doesn't have to do too much and Apple having control over both Hardware & Software is the advantage. Again, I'm not going to go crazy over a little lag.

I'm using the iPhone SE because of iOS up here android Pay is not available and I love Apple Pay and the Wallet app, makes things so convenient.

I have the Note 7 and will I compare the two side-by-side in terms of performance and speed? No because really who cares. Its childish and I'm a grown man.

I love my N7 be use of the Build, Design, microSD, S-Pen, Waterproof and of course the colour, Coral Blue!!

Having said that what makes android better is launchers, I love Nova Prime. If we were stuck even with pure android like nexus I don't think I would bother switching.
    08-27-2016 10:41 AM
    My first two smartphones were the droid and Droid 2 by Motorola. Then I switched to Apple and stayed there until last Friday when my shiny new Note 7 arrived. I held onto the iPhone a couple days to make sure I was ready to commit to at least one year.
    What is better about the iPhone?
    Pokemon Go (don't judge) runs way better on ios than on android. I'm hoping they fix that but not going to give the Note up for that.
    Battery life is better for me and how I run my phone.
    Paid version of scrabble available. Not available on android.
    I am so used iOS I dont fumble around looking for apps I want. I just know where everything is. Of course, with time android will have that same familiarity to me.
    Aluminum back makes the phone feel more sturdy and less worried about dropping it.

As for the Note, I've stuck with Samsung's apps so far and everything is running great.
    The display is beyond any phone I've seen.
    Esge shortcuts are handy, especially since I mentioned before about my lack of familiarity with android in recent years.
    Fast charge makes up for the lacking battery. I've had zero concerns about getting through a day.
    The phone is beautiful to look at, though that has nothing to do with how useful it is.
    Transfer tool included let me move my iTunes library and photos and contacts from my phone so no worries there.
    Samsung Pay is awesome. Not to mention the $20 you get for signing up and making a purchase before the end of this month. No more looking for Apple pay signs for me. I can pay almost anywhere now.

Just a few of my thoughts after a week. I'm very pleased with my purchase. If you are bored of iOS like I was, I think it'll be a good move for you.
    mariusfilip likes this.
    08-27-2016 11:06 AM
    Long time android user and with the pressure of my family ( iMessage and FaceTime ) I switched to iOS. I was bored. Insanely bored. Then jailbreak hit in October and it was a whole new ball game. The fluidity the speed and the battery. Amazing. You always hear 'it just works'. True.

Couldn't wait for the note 7 to come out so I can go back home as I said. Wanted nothing more than to be a note 7 user. 48 hours later it was packaged up. I was literally bummed.

I got so used to the iOS platform and with my tweaks (50-60) it was a great combo. I can't go back at least yet.
    08-27-2016 11:21 AM
    Long time android user and with the pressure of my family ( iMessage and FaceTime ) I switched to iOS. I was bored. Insanely bored. Then jailbreak hit in October and it was a whole new ball game. The fluidity the speed and the battery. Amazing. You always hear 'it just works'. True.

Couldn't wait for the note 7 to come out so I can go back home as I said. Wanted nothing more than to be a note 7 user. 48 hours later it was packaged up. I was literally bummed.

I got so used to the iOS platform and with my tweaks (50-60) it was a great combo. I can't go back at least yet.
    Oh wow! So you returned your Note?
    08-27-2016 11:37 AM

So, you're really not comparing the iPhone to Note 7...you're comparing a jailbroken iPhone to the Note 7, right?

I think maybe my issue is that I haven't given Android OS due diligence before throwing my hands up in confusion and judgement. I don't know if my feelings will change after a more lengthy trial period, but it might.
    Marcjcd and Westiemom like this.
    08-27-2016 11:51 AM
    It's a very different OS to get use to but in my opinion it's light years above Apple. Just the size of the S7 devices make the switch so much easier. I tried the 6S plus but way to big compared to the Note 7 which has a larger screen but a smaller footprint great job Samsung.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    08-27-2016 11:52 AM
    Love this device. My one real issue is something I hope I can get my car dealer to fix. My 2013 X3 won't stay connected to my Note 7. It finds it pairs nicely and then connects and disconnects over and over. After about 6-7 repairs on its own, the BMW itself just removed the phone from memory and my Note 7 still shows it.

I need to pair it again. And the same thing continues to happen. Endlessly.

My iPhone works perfectly with it. No issues at all. This really sucks because I travel a lot for work and put about 2500 miles on my car each month so I am constantly on the phone with customers and then using it to listen to music and audible.

This one thing is such a huge deal for me.
    08-27-2016 11:56 AM
283 ... 45678 ...