10-04-2016 01:34 AM
283 ... 56789 ...
tools
    It's good to experience both platforms. They both have their pros and cons. Love Samsung and the Note series, it's a great functional device that packs features. I also love Apple because their ecosystem is second to none. If you have a Mac, iPad, iPhone they integrate so seamlessly it's hard to imaging why anyone would want to throw a wrench in the works. I think that is the primary reason people stick with iPhone. It can get stale and old, but damn do those things run simpatico. Apple doesn't do a ton, they aren't rushed to put features into their system if they don't work the way they want them too, but what they do do they do very well. I think people get bored of the simplicity of iOS, regardless of "it just works". Android is fun because the options are endless and there really aren't any boundaries. It's your phone and no ones going to force you to use it their way. The annoyance of Android is when it goes bonkers, it can make life rough and push some to the "other side" (ie...iOS). I've never had to worry about doing a Factory Data Reset on an iPhone to stop some rogue process from screwing with the phones operations or battery life. I've never had to figure out why Apples OS is consuming gobs of battery life, installing a battery stats monitor in order to figure it out while scratching my head (all the while being told by everyone on a forum to perform a FDR). It's both tough and fun using Android and iOS's. Every negative on one platform makes you think of a positive on the other and vice versa. I know for some it becomes like a game of ping pong that ultimately drives you to the brink of insanity. If Samsung/Android could get their act together and if Apple could just open up in the slightest. I think the key to getting along with Android from someone who's primarily used iOS is to understand and accept that things work differently on Android, things may not seem "intuitive" all the time, but it's the way it's done and saying to yourself "That's not how Apple does it" is the wrong mindset. You hear to often someone say "But on iPhone!", it's not an iPhone, stop trying to make your Samsung Note 7 like your iPhone and just embrace the difference.
    08-27-2016 12:01 PM
    There are good and bad about both OS's Some of the pros about Android I almost consider cons. A pro is that you can choose 3rd party apps to be the default. It's great you can do that. On the other hand I sometimes find it crazy that I have to find alternatives for stock apps when I like Apple's stock apps. (That's completely personal preference).

I will say the best of both worlds for me is to have an Android phone and an iPad Pro. You get all the benefits of both OS's that way. It's not the most cost effective way, but it works for me. If you already have an iPad then you'd be set.

If you decide to go the Note 7 route there are already a few threads about switching, and you can always ask questions. I'm familiar with both Android and iOS (iOS user for 8 yrs and Android for 3). Several other members are familiar with both as well. Most are helpful in the forums. I'm honestly learning TouchWiz right now as well because this is my first Samsung phone.
    08-27-2016 12:20 PM
    There are good and bad about both OS's Some of the pros about Android I almost consider cons. A pro is that you can choose 3rd party apps to be the default. It's great you can do that. On the other hand I sometimes find it crazy that I have to find alternatives for stock apps when I like Apple's stock apps. (That's completely personal preference).

I will say the best of both worlds for me is to have an Android phone and an iPad Pro. You get all the benefits of both OS's that way. It's not the most cost effective way, but it works for me. If you already have an iPad then you'd be set.

If you decide to go the Note 7 route there are already a few threads about switching, and you can always ask questions. I'm familiar with both Android and iOS (iOS user for 8 yrs and Android for 3). Several other members are familiar with both as well. Most are helpful in the forums. I'm honestly learning TouchWiz right now as well because this is my first Samsung phone.
    I agree with you. That's my setup, Note 7 and iPad Pro. Android phones and iPhones both have pros and cons. However no android tablet can even come close to competing with the iPad Pro. As for learning touchwiz, do yourself a favor and get Nova Launcher. Much better. Especially if you like customization
    08-27-2016 12:59 PM
    An unfamiliar os is always going to seem unintuitive and daunting at first. You'd only really see if it properly fits if you use it for a week or two. Being prepared to invest some time into getting familiar with it is pretty much a must, but since you seem interested in switching you'd probably naturally find yourself seeing what you can do with it.
    bigoldthor likes this.
    08-27-2016 01:30 PM
    Love this device. My one real issue is something I hope I can get my car dealer to fix. My 2013 X3 won't stay connected to my Note 7. It finds it pairs nicely and then connects and disconnects over and over. After about 6-7 repairs on its own, the BMW itself just removed the phone from memory and my Note 7 still shows it.

I need to pair it again. And the same thing continues to happen. Endlessly.

My iPhone works perfectly with it. No issues at all. This really sucks because I travel a lot for work and put about 2500 miles on my car each month so I am constantly on the phone with customers and then using it to listen to music and audible.

This one thing is such a huge deal for me.
    Just to be sure, have you removed both connections, from the car and the phone? Not just pair it them again and again, but delete the connection from both and then begin to setup from scratch.
    08-27-2016 02:05 PM
    I agree with you. That's my setup, Note 7 and iPad Pro. Android phones and iPhones both have pros and cons. However no android tablet can even come close to competing with the iPad Pro. As for learning touchwiz, do yourself a favor and get Nova Launcher. Much better. Especially if you like customization
    I am actually considering a surface pro. My work is all MS, and their tablets are like very laptopish in functionality. We are going to 365, so i anticipate even further integration.
    08-27-2016 02:14 PM
    I try every year before I turn back to iOS. My wife lasted 4 days. I lasted 5. For someone that is an iOS user and a long time one for that matter, it's hard to give up the fluidity and "just works" mentality. My note 7 started to lag on day 3. And I had less than 50 apps on it and they were well known, major apps. I don't care what people say here when one person says their note 7 lags and the other says theirs doesn't at all. That's nonsense. We all know there is some lag and stutter, that's the android game. Yes there are ways to improve performance and I did such things (nova, disabled unnecessary apps and bloat). But at the end of the day, the lag still existed and I jumped ship. I hope one day for an android experience that is on par with iOS. Right now, having to disable things, disable animations, etc on such a powerhouse device is unacceptable to me. I guess I'll try again next year with the 8.
    08-27-2016 03:22 PM

The default apps are why I don't like Vanilla Android. Myself I like the default SMS, File Explorer and Gallery of Samsung.

On my Nexus I had to go find better apps and that was a pain.

Now with even a Samsung, you can use those other apps if you want. I'm not a fan of Vanilla Android, but prefer Android over iOS on every way.
    frope01 likes this.
    08-27-2016 03:28 PM
    For me the biggest reason I wanted to switch was the ip68 ratings love to listen to music in shower an at lake. I only prefer to carry one device had a lifeproof case kn iphone got case replaced 3x in the time i had it. After 3 months it would seep thru the charging port cover last time it did it messed up the phone got it replaced thru apple care an service was great just had it with that setup. So hence the switch back to samsung really enjoying the phone as I please with out worry cept if i get clumsy an drop it.
    08-27-2016 03:29 PM
    I just sent the Note 7 back to Verizon earlier today...

While on the surface the Note 7 is a great phone, I have to say I'm more than disappointed after using it for 9 days. Between interface inconsistencies, random slowdowns, unexplained sudden battery drains, poor app scaling when set to smaller fonts, overall quality of apps as compared to their iOS counterparts, this phone in no way justifies the $870 price on Verizon. I've got my list of annoyances with iOS and iPhone, but at the end of the day, it just works better for me, and gets out of the way...
    08-27-2016 03:31 PM
    With Apple I expect there to be iOS issues until there have been a couple updates. And as in change from the 6 to 6S changes and improvements.

With iOS 10 just around the corner, and the 7/7 Plus at the same time, for all the public beta, they've got a perfect storm headed in. But that's a chance you take.

And Android N ready to drop soon too for the Note. I would assume it has better support for the Note's hardware. But you have to return it in the 14 day time frame, too.
    08-27-2016 04:16 PM
    My note 7 was send back after week of using it. I love the idea and freedom that android give u but I was keep going back to my 6+. It's jail broken now so drops all stuff u can do on note other then s pen. I miss note a lil. It's such a pretty phone but overheating and battery life just sucked. Maybe will try new nexus or V20
    08-27-2016 05:11 PM
    My only problem now is that I forgot I have an Apple Watch. My 6S Plus is long gone. Maybe I'll sell it for a Gear or something. ๐Ÿ˜
    Wildo6882 and toneofark like this.
    08-27-2016 05:25 PM
    ok guys, i have a galaxy S6 but i feel that iphone 6 is calling me..lol. i tried to trade but all I am getting is offers from Iphone 5S users...smhhhh. seems too low for me. i miss facetime, imessage and the device seems hot when charging. smhhh!
    08-27-2016 05:38 PM
    The biggest reason I switched is that I was just bored with the iPhone. Nothing in the upcoming 7 really excited me but the Note 7 did. I've run both Android and iOS but have been primarily on iOS since I have a Mac at home. Both have their plus and minuses and I enjoy both systems. For the simplicity and fluidity of iOS you get a boring (imo) experience that works. With Android, you get a ton of customization but it may take a while to figure out the best set up for you. Apps in general are better on iOS and on some of the apps I use I miss being able to use my fingerprint to login. But the edge panel helps me out on that issue for quick access to 1password when needed.

For me, it's been a lot of fun trying to get the Note 7 to my liking and I've spent a lot of time this last week on it. While some may not like the amount of time it can take with Android to get the phone how you want, the beauty is you have the option to change it if it doesn't work or you get bored with it. I've downloaded and uninstalled several email and text apps and launchers to figure out which ones I like. So far I've settled on Gmail to run all my emails, Verizon's Messages+ for texting and Nova Prime for my launcher.

After a week with the Note 7, I love the phone, it blows my 6 plus out of the water. I'm getting better battery life out the Note 7. The screen is on a different level, it feels better in the hand, it looks better and I love the wireless/wired fast charging, the water resistance, the S Pen and the Iris Scanner. For me, it feels faster than the 6 plus and I feel like I can be more productive with it than the 6 plus.
    libra89 and bigoldthor like this.
    08-27-2016 05:44 PM
    iMessage is also available on the Mac, so you can read your messages on your computer, as well as on iPhone and iPad. That's one thing I'll miss.
    I found out myself just the other day that if you are on Verizon, their Message+ app works on and iPad and in a browser.
    08-27-2016 05:52 PM
    ok guys, i have a galaxy S6 but i feel that iphone 6 is calling me..lol. i tried to trade but all I am getting is offers from Iphone 5S users...smhhhh. seems too low for me. i miss facetime, imessage and the device seems hot when charging. smhhh!
    You may need to trade and offer several money. I don't know anything about iPhone prices.

When I sold my Note 4, someone contacted me that had a Nexus 5. I took the Nexus 5 and some cash for the Note 4 because I was interested in a pure Android device.
    Mimi1978 likes this.
    08-27-2016 05:54 PM
    Like you, I was a long time iPhone user. June 29, 2007 was my first iPhone. Since then iPhone has been my go to device and like yoh to give tried for short durations every phone known to man. You name it, I've had it. Early this year my bordum with iOS started. That's when I grabbed a Priv with Marshmellow installed on it. I really began to enjoy android a lot. I think that experience with Marshmellow helped me make the switch to the Note 7. After a week with this Note 7, there continues to be nothing from iOS that I miss. I was probably done comparing OS's in the middle of my Priv experience as that experience was good. I really love the android customization, iOS has become old and too much of the same. 3 of my friends just picked up the Note 7 for themselves this week. Two were iPhone users. I've heard nothing but good things from their experiences. Nothing on the market compares to the Note 7. The power and features are amazing.

Best of luck in your decision. Feel free to PM me with more questions.

John
    Having been a long time iPhone user, I am nonetheless interested in the Note 7 simply because, no matter how polished & reliable it is...iOS has become a bit stale and in need of a makeover, and it looks like Samsung has finally upped their game as far as hardware and design is concerned.

That said, I've "tried" the Verizon versions of the BlackBerry Priv, Samsung Note 5 & the Galaxy S6...to see if I was the right "fit" for Android. I came away feeling that Android was more than a bit "busy" and less intuitive than I have found iOS to be overall, or maybe that I was just not enough of t techie to maneuver my way through it. Still I'm curious. And I'm willing to give Android another try...and maybe allow it more time than I have previously, with the Note 7.

I would really love to hear from some people who have been long-time iOS users like me, and who have passed the honeymoon stage with the Note 7...and will honestly say what is great, mediocre, and what is poor on this phone vs. the iPhone they were using for ages before.

Please...no iPhone haters, or comments about iSheep and the like. I really want some non-fanboy new Android conversions to speak candidly to help me make a decision.

Thanks in advance!
    bigoldthor and Gayle Lynn like this.
    08-27-2016 07:39 PM
    My only problem now is that I forgot I have an Apple Watch. My 6S Plus is long gone. Maybe I'll sell it for a Gear or something. ๐Ÿ˜
    My wife still has a 6s Plus, so I gave her the Watch. I'm going to hold out until I see what the Gear S3 is like before deciding on which wearable to pick up.
    08-27-2016 09:22 PM
    I think both Phones have their advantages and do certain things better than the other, but when it comes to overall performance my iPhone 6s Plus outperforms my Note 7 hands down. Those who have never owned an iPhone will never understand. Not knocking my Note 7. It's a great device but it's on my second line for a reason.
    jbcatl likes this.
    08-27-2016 09:22 PM
    I've had to use an iPhone a couple of times.. I don't know if it is because i started on Android, but iphones make me want to pull my hair out. I just can't do everything I do with my android.
    MsBlingberry likes this.
    08-27-2016 09:49 PM
    Love it, jumped from a iPhone 6 Plus and I am not looking back - easiest phone I have had paired to my Prius - I deleted all of the previous phones and it paired very easy both with my entertainment console in the car and with my Garmin. Still figuring out the S-Pen but after watching Flossy Carter's video I see all if can do
    fitcherama and avivzan like this.
    08-27-2016 10:04 PM
    I'm an iPhone user too. Like others have said, I use whichever platform suits my needs and before Apple brought out larger screen devices, I had a series of Android devices to fill that need of mine. I had a Note 3 and it was godawful. I admit I may well have had a "Friday afternoon phone" but the replacement was even worse, so I gave up on Samsung and bought an HTC One M7 which currently resides back home in another country whilst I am in the USA for three years on work, and that phone was bullet proof. Admittedly my much older Galaxy S2 was pretty bullet proof too. All my iPhones have been bullet proof as well.

My current phone contract is due to expire in about two weeks and I am somewhat bored by Apple right now. I use the headphone jack on my iPhone daily to play music in my car (3.5mm headphone jack to Aux socket on my car stereo) and if the iPhone 7 really doesn't have a headphone jack, the iPhones going forward will no longer fit my needs and I will either keep my current two year old iPhone 6 until it dies (not a chance, I like the latest and greatest), or I will make a move back to Android. I'm not tied into the Apple ecosystem as my old iPad 2 has now died and my 2010 Macbook is also going the same way and I use a PC back in my home country anyway.

I admit to being a bit put off by the easily scratched screen on the Note 7 but realise that a decent screen protector will obviate that fear. If I can find a good tough case and screen protector combo that will fit the Note 7 together without issue, and not add too much bulk to the device, I may make the move back to Android sooner than I thought.

I'm going to watch this thread with a lot of interest and thanks to everyone who has posted helpful information so far, without recourse to 'platform-bashing.'
    Westiemom likes this.
    08-27-2016 11:50 PM
    I have never owned an iPhone, but I did have an iPad 3 and so was exposed to iOS that way. I must be an exception, because after about 6 months that tablet just got extremely quirky. When on a webpage, it would freeze and no amount of coaxing would get it to scroll. I tried everything iOS would let me do to fix it, like clearing cache (called something different in iOS if I remember correctly?) and deleting apps so that my memory did not get too full and slow it down and restart, restart, restart. I found that I just know how to fix an Android device if I start having any issues with it - iOS I didn't know how to fix. I have had various annoyances with Android through the years, but nothing as annoying as that iPad 3! Maybe I was just unlucky, but I sold it and got a (much maligned) Nexus 9 tablet and have used it joyfully ever since. Any issues with it have been small indeed and easily corrected. It has served me well now for 2 years.

Maybe it's just that I understand Android? Maybe also the fact that I can customize the wha-zoo out of it too? I admit that I am tempted every couple of years to try an iPhone because they are just so pretty on the outside, but I think about that iPad and come back to reality. Even if I hadn't had any issues with it, I was also bored with it.

This is just my experience iOS of course and it is extremely limited! I trust the judgment of those who are long-time iPhone users that they have a smooth, reliable experience. I think it is a good thing that we have a choice, really! It shouldn't be just one or the other and thankfully it's not.

I also had a Windows phone a number of years ago (Windows 8 device) and I loved it! It was a fun experiment into something completely different and it ran flawlessly. I just missed some advantages of Android and went back, but I've always thought fondly of that little HTC 8X Windows phone...

Nice discussion all! Very helpful.
    08-28-2016 01:10 PM
    Its nearly impossible to take someone else's opinion for what would work for you, SIMPLY due to the fact that UNTIL a phone we get DOESN'T have a feature we had in another phone we gave up, we tend to not have realized HOW MUCH we relied and can't live without that feature (s)....you may THINK you've covered all the basics, but its those "little niggles" that will truly drive ya nutz! I'm sure there are tons of my "fellow mental patients" in here will agree w/ me on that one : )

Also, another thing, and i've said it before, Android is a, "see how the sausage is made" kinda phone, while iPhone is a, "just bring me the sausage" kinda phone.

At first, you might be the latter and be like, "WOW! I never knew sausage (Android) is sooooooo interesting to see all that goes into it & what all "different dishes" i can make with it, but after awhile you might be like, "experimenting with all that sausage is too time consuming & frustrating... Just bring me my dang sausage (iPhone) and let me get back to my life..." lol

Trying out a whole 'nother operating system for, "just a couple of days" is really NOT giving it a chance, the average user is just met with too many confusing settings in the initial set up to truly tell if the phone will work for them long term. Most often they wind up, "far too frustrated" for the device's strengths and finer points to shine through....

So really, the only way to truly tell is to get one and use the heck out of it night and day for 13 days & 23 hours and then park yourself on your phone store's lawn for when they open in that 24th hour if u decide you just can't deal w/ making the switch... lol

BTC
    08-28-2016 01:28 PM
283 ... 56789 ...