Long-time iOS users...what is your real opinion of the Note 7 having made the switch?

anon(67796)

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Curiosity: iPhone transplants a week later

yep. this is one reason why I can't give up iMessage. 99% of the contacts I communicate with often have iPhones. iMessage multimedia sharing is far superior to MMS. I wish all OEMS and carriers would adopt RCS so that we could still have good multimedia sharing and not have to be locked to iMessage.
Have you tried to share the video via Google Photos instead? send a link to your contacts so they can view the full res video instead of inline with MMS? I don't have my Note 7 yet but was going to try that to see if it would work in place of iMessage.
Yep that's one thing that will never replace iMessage and FaceTime. People are like use Hangouts but who uses hangouts besides tech savvy people?? Nobody at all.

From A Buick 8

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site

So far I really like my Note7, I gave my 6+ to my son and he is off to college so no option to switch back even if I wanted to (I do have an old 5s that I use as an iPod so I guess I could).
Still learning the phone and the OS, after spending 5 years with iOS It may take a while to break old habits. Losing iMessage is no big deal for me, the Verizon text app seems to work very well. I do have a couple of iOS apps that I still need to find an Android counterpart for, namely a good lab timer, a good unit conversion app and a good financial calculator.

The Note 7 is the best looking and feeling phone I have seen since my iPhone 4 so loving it.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

Have you tried to share the video via Google Photos instead? send a link to your contacts so they can view the full res video instead of inline with MMS? I don't have my Note 7 yet but was going to try that to see if it would work in place of iMessage.

I haven't tried that yet because I don't use Google Photos. Blasphemy, I know. I have a feeling my iPhone friends would be too lazy anyway. Haha!

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

Why do you have to be tech savvy to use hangouts? I use it all the time. My kids use it.
imessage was just my texting app. But I primarily used whatsapp, hangouts and Facebook messenger.
Didn't use FaceTime as I didn't know anyone with an iPhone. So I had Skype installed.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

Why do you have to be tech savvy to use hangouts? I use it all the time. My kids use it.
imessage was just my texting app. But I primarily used whatsapp, hangouts and Facebook messenger.
Didn't use FaceTime as I didn't know anyone with an iPhone. So I had Skype installed.

In my experience it's not just tech savvy people that use Hangouts necessarily. But it's mostly all-in Googlers that use it. None of my iPhone only friends use it. They just don't see the point. And I kinda agree with them. I have Hangouts, but I've only used it twice. Once because a buyer of my Moto 360 preferred it, and because a product manager at Nextbit wanted to use it for a video chat.

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site

I only ever used hangouts on the iphone to chat with my android friend. Everyone else i know who was on android or ios never used it. Ironically, my co worker who has an iphone chats with her husband who also uses an iphone through hangouts, i assume because he uses his computer to chat at work.

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

It's nice because I can use it in a browser while logged into Gmail which is huge for me as I hate typing on a phone. And convenient. And I'm not locked into a particular platform.

anon(67796)

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

Well it's not the fact that you have to be tech savvy but the realization is that most people know nothing about it especially my iOS frineds. Long story short, the Note will be returned this evening.

BearlyFloats

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site

One of tbr main reason why I jumped to Samsung was because of all the leaked images of the "new" IPhone. Felt disappointed. And then I stepped into best buy and held the phone (N7) in my hand. It felt really nice and comfy. The all black looked too awesome. I might go back for their 10th anniversary IPhone if all the hype is true.
This is a big part of it for me. I really like Apple products, a lot. However, I feel like as the years go by, they are just slinging re-purposed parts at an even higher mark up than usual. Oh, and full disclosure, I am a share holder so I should be stoked about that. But I am also a tech guy. The "new antenna lines" look so lazy. I would have rathered they kept them as they are. The new ones are the design equivilent to an admission of defeat. "We couldn't find away around these so we swept them into the corners of the room." Its often said without base that "since Steve died," but in this case, that may be true because there is no one at Apple lighting them up over less than precise work. Tim is doing really well, but he is a logistics guy and the product line shows for it. Also, I feel, the only reason they haven't announced that Jony isn't really designing any consumer products these days is because the stock would plummet. But it's clear the best work with his name on it is in the past. Macbook Pro, iPhone 4/4S, iMac G4, Mac Pro G5. And if those new camera modules are to be believed...yikes.

However, the apps are better and the software is important, so one finds themselves in a six and one half dozen type scenario. My thoughts now are "return Note 7 and save my money, use iPhone 6S another year and go from there?" or "Stay entrenched in the Apple ecosystem with its ever increasing hardware costs and ever damning planned obsolescence?" Or "Return Note 7 and start buying mid range Android devices for a fraction of the cost of all of these flagship devices?"

#shruglife

Last edited:

mpittmann

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site

My previous phones have been iPhone 4s, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6 plus, iPhone 6s plus. Once I heard that I would need to carry around a lightning to headphone adapter and that the changes will be minimal (again) I decided to give the Note 7 a try. I love the customization without having to Jailbreak and am overall very pleased with the switch. As others have said, the iPhone does seem to run a little smoother and faster but that's not enough to justify me going back.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

yep. this is one reason why I can't give up iMessage. 99% of the contacts I communicate with often have iPhones. iMessage multimedia sharing is far superior to MMS. I wish all OEMS and carriers would adopt RCS so that we could still have good multimedia sharing and not have to be locked to iMessage.
If I am not mistaken, RCS will eventually be deployed to all carriers.

Yep that's one thing that will never replace iMessage and FaceTime. People are like use Hangouts but who uses hangouts besides tech savvy people?? Nobody at all.
I am not sure how similar these are as I don't really use Hangouts, but...Google is rolling out a new messaging app very soon called Allo. Since I don't use iMessage, I have no idea how they compare. It looks like it might be worth checking out, though.
I also believe I have read that hangouts is expiring on 9/22. Maybe this is the date that Allo is coming out.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site

I'm not coming from an iPhone for the Note 7, but I did move over from the iPhone 6 for the Samsung Galaxy S7...I remember distinctly when I moved TO the iPhone, and then when I moved back to Android, the one thing that stuck out as a major difference was that Android has true widgets. I can actually SEE what's going on and interact with my calendar, music, etc. iPhone's idea of widgets were to pull down a shade and then select what you were doing in there. I also distinctly remember being utterly confused on how to share or save certain things on an iPhone. On Android, if you have it installed, it's going to show up in the share menu (at least all the ones I care about). There were times I felt I had to "jump through hoops" to get something to share the way I wanted on iPhone.

Having said all that, I agree with the others posting that quality of apps on iOS are far better, and overall fluidity and battery seem much more stable as well. But honestly, I feel like I've got an actual computer in my hand with the Android whereas the iPhone just felt like an entertainment device with a phone.

As far as texting/media sharing...I've always felt like why can't Apple just offer to sell the FaceTime and iMessage apps on the Play Store...I know it's what they think helps sell the iPhone, but wouldn't they be getting plenty of revenue if they sold the apps to us Android users? I would gladly pay to buy the apps so I could put the whole debate away of what platform/programs to use to communicate. Bottom line...Skype is fine for Android users and I'd be willing to keep it in my arsenal for anyone who feels THAT strongly against installing FaceTime, but having access to FaceTime WOULD be so much easier so I don't have to explain to my iPhone friends why I can't communicate that way with them. I'm not saying Android users are more tech savvy but MY experience has been that my iPhone touting friends love their iPhones because they just work and they don't have to think about it. I'd rather bend to their way a little and be done with all of this...but I'm not giving up Android.

ETA: The Galaxy S7 was a great experience and NOW I'm on a Note 7...aside from a few hiccups that I hope get worked out I'm very happy. I definitely won't be going back to iPhone for the foreseeable future.

BearlyFloats

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site

I'm not coming from an iPhone for the Note 7, but I did move over from the iPhone 6 for the Samsung Galaxy S7...I remember distinctly when I moved TO the iPhone, and then when I moved back to Android, the one thing that stuck out as a major difference was that Android has true widgets. I can actually SEE what's going on and interact with my calendar, music, etc. iPhone's idea of widgets were to pull down a shade and then select what you were doing in there. I also distinctly remember being utterly confused on how to share or save certain things on an iPhone. On Android, if you have it installed, it's going to show up in the share menu (at least all the ones I care about). There were times I felt I had to "jump through hoops" to get something to share the way I wanted on iPhone.

Having said all that, I agree with the others posting that quality of apps on iOS are far better, and overall fluidity and battery seem much more stable as well. But honestly, I feel like I've got an actual computer in my hand with the Android whereas the iPhone just felt like an entertainment device with a phone.

As far as texting/media sharing...I've always felt like why can't Apple just offer to sell the FaceTime and iMessage apps on the Play Store...I know it's what they think helps sell the iPhone, but wouldn't they be getting plenty of revenue if they sold the apps to us Android users? I would gladly pay to buy the apps so I could put the whole debate away of what platform/programs to use to communicate. Bottom line...Skype is fine for Android users and I'd be willing to keep it in my arsenal for anyone who feels THAT strongly against installing FaceTime, but having access to FaceTime WOULD be so much easier so I don't have to explain to my iPhone friends why I can't communicate that way with them. I'm not saying Android users are more tech savvy but MY experience has been that my iPhone touting friends love their iPhones because they just work and they don't have to think about it. I'd rather bend to their way a little and be done with all of this...but I'm not giving up Android.

ETA: The Galaxy S7 was a great experience and NOW I'm on a Note 7...aside from a few hiccups that I hope get worked out I'm very happy. I definitely won't be going back to iPhone for the foreseeable future.
Way back when, Steve Jobs said FaceTime would eventually become a standard, that it would be open source...

I really don't think that is ever going to happen though.

adam13141

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site

If you like to log in with your fingerprints, you can use Samsung's stock browser for websites that don't have their app's updated to accept fingerprints. I know that isn't a perfect solution, but it works until the app's can be updated to accept fingerprints.

TheLegoJoker

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

IPhone 6s plus convert. My iPhone had better battery life, imessage, better Voice mail setup, ability to purchase ad free scrabble and words with friends, and Pokemon Go runs better. Yes, I'm 42 and i play Pokemon Go. Hahaha.
Also feel that the iPhone is more sturdy with the aluminum back and much easier to operate since I've been on ios for years now.
Having said all that, my iPhone is on its way to Verizon as my trade in. Despite the advantages listed, the Note 7 has quite a few of its own. Display, Samsung pay, customization options I haven't had since I switched to Apple all those years ago. Expandable storage. Nifty s pen. And android isn't caving to the idiots out there who wanted the gun emoji removed. I'm happy with my new phone and enjoying learning all the cool stuff it can do.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

I've been cross platform for a few years, but this is the first time I didn't also have an iPhone at the same time as Android. There are a few apps I miss that are either not available on Android or are just flat out much better on iOS. I miss those, but that's mainly it for the moment. I'm not finding the SPen super useful yet, but this is my first Note. I'm hoping with time I find ways to make it more useful for me. I also experienced some performance hiccups that were starting to get to me, but after wiping the cache partition things seem to be running smoother.

With the Note 4, I found that I was an intermitent user of the S-pen -- all driven by need. My 2 most common use cases:
  • Screen drawing. After taking picutres or screenshots, the ability to circle, arrow, freehand write to be very specific about my point
  • There are times when I just needed to jot something down and the pen was so much easier than trying to open an app then type it in

I am well aware of all the other uses, and I occasionally use it for them as well.

anon(62000)

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site

6S Plus convert here. I miss iMessage, that's for sure. Apps did run a bit smoother in iOS. But with the ability to transfer my music at will (via usb, email, dropbox, etc), expandable storage, the S pen and this screen (OMG this screen!)...... I'm sticking with the Note.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

In my experience it's not just tech savvy people that use Hangouts necessarily. But it's mostly all-in Googlers that use it. None of my iPhone only friends use it. They just don't see the point. And I kinda agree with them. I have Hangouts, but I've only used it twice. Once because a buyer of my Moto 360 preferred it, and because a product manager at Nextbit wanted to use it for a video chat.

Hangouts is great in theory, lousy in execution. For those in the Google ecosystem is can be great, but the app is not very optimized. It really sucks to try to use across ecosystems. The implentation in iOS is horrible (no notifications). Since my wife is on iOS and not changing, that has made Hangouts a nearly useless app for me. Its a shame, because I like the stickers and the way it works on my PC and Android phones. I have moved over to WhatsApp (like most of the world) to get around the cross platform issues.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site

6S+ convert, but along the way like the BlackBerry PRIV - I want to try a future BB phone, also iPhone 8. But for now Samsung.

I go from Note II to 5s to S5 back and forth regularly. And iOS does have some nice touches, get bored as well.
2017 it'll be Note 7 or Blackberry- and 2018, half a year after iPhone 8 and ios 11 Will see.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
praestrudtulle