Long-time iOS users...what is your real opinion of the Note 7 having made the switch?

anon(10000748)

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Re: Curiosity: iPhone transplants a week later

I've had iPhone back when the iPhone 5 came out. It got boring real quick, though. After a few months in, I've lost interest but had to stick with the phone since I was on a 2 year contract back then. Then two years pass by and I finally make the switch to Android for the first time. I went with the s5 and ever since then, I can't see myself ever going back to iPhone. I love Apple, for everything else (laptops/computers and tablets) except for the iPhone. I just love the freedom android software gives you. Apple, to me, is just way behind when comparing to android. I hate that you're forced to keep all apps on the home screen. I hate how you're forced to keep all apps, regardless of whether you use them or not. At least on android there's a way to disable and hide apps that you don't want to use. I like that you can customize your Android to any way you like without having to root/jailbreak your phone. There are just so many cons to iPhone in my case that no matter what apple does to innovate the iPhone, I cannot ever see myself ever being an iPhone user again.

Posted via the Android Central App
I had the iPhone five as well. The new iPhone's are not even close to how bad the five was. I hated how small and horrible that phone was. Got the new plus and it's honestly really close if im going to keep the note 7 or go back.

esf6491

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site

I was an Android user since it was first introduced. A few years ago I switched to the iPhone 6 plus to access apps published by work. After two years I'm so happy to come back "home" :D! For me iOS is too stale and I missed the customization available on Android. Also another thing I didn't like was the sound quality for music on iPhone. It's nowhere near as rich as on Android.

DX9

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

I have the 6S Plus sitting beside me boxed up and ready to be sold tomorrow.

The thing that always gets me is I miss iMessage like everyone else mentions and the battery life of the 6S Plus is amazing. Love the Note 7 and plan to keep it. Amazing phone.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

This thread will be interesting when the iPhone 7 is introduced.

BearlyFloats

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site

Downloading files in my web browser and then manipulating them inside a legit file system app feels so comfy.
14e382c1d306be411b170ce63a29faee.jpg

eckono38

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site

I knew it would happen so I put my Note 7 on my second line. My 6s plus is my primary phone and will only be replaced by the upcoming 7Plus. I like the note but the iPhone out performs it. Plus it's so much smoother.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

Here's one thing that annoys me a little about switching from iPhone. When I get a text message I have to open the screen to read it vs iPhone where it would pop up on lock screen. Now I use the always on display so maybe if that's not on the text messages will actually show up on the lock screen that I can read and respond to? I don't know or remember if that's possible but I liked being able to respond to text from lock screen

use textra and you can have that feature

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Ok a couple people mentioned iOS apps being superior to their Android counter parts. I tend to disagree with this. I think most, many apps work the same or similar on both platforms, AND both platforms have apps that work better on their platform. I can think of 3 major examples of apps that work better on Android, True Caller, Whatsapp (and it's only slightly for Whatsapp), and Zedge (have you tried to get a ringtone through Zedge on iOS???? lol). And there are examples of apps that work better on iOS. Also each platform has exclusive apps ONLY available on their platform. But I think appswise it's pretty much a draw and you are ok on either platform. Major apps are available and work pretty much the same on both platforms!

BearlyFloats

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site

Ok a couple people mentioned iOS apps being superior to their Android counter parts. I tend to disagree with this. I think most, many apps work the same or similar on both platforms, AND both platforms have apps that work better on their platform. I can think of 3 major examples of apps that work better on Android, True Caller, Whatsapp (and it's only slightly for Whatsapp), and Zedge (have you tried to get a ringtone through Zedge on iOS???? lol). And there are examples of apps that work better on iOS. Also each platform has exclusive apps ONLY available on their platform. But I think appswise it's pretty much a draw and you are ok on either platform. Major apps are available and work pretty much the same on both platforms!
I just want my VPN to feature auto connect like it does on iOS.

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site

I am the OP and sadly i have boxed up the note 7 and now back to using the iphone. I am so sad that "coming home" after a year away didnt make me happy. I was not enjoying the note at all. The battery compared to the 6s+ is nothing to even compare. Maybe i wasn't ready to make the switch so we shall see what the future brings. The only blessing is that I am jailbroken so it makes ios at least tolerable!

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

So for all of those mentioning iMessage as a major iOS selling point (and just about everyone does it seems), I have a question. Other than begin used to it, what specifically is so different in daily use from a good Android SMS/MMS app like Textra?

I have heard video compression. I guess it must just be me, but I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I have actually sent or received a video via MMS, so this just isn't a factor at all for me. What else is it that makes iMessage such an attraction to everyone? Is it just what you're used to, or is there more?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

So for all of those mentioning iMessage as a major iOS selling point (and just about everyone does it seems), I have a question. Other than begin used to it, what specifically is so different in daily use from a good Android SMS/MMS app like Textra?

I have heard video compression. I guess it must just be me, but I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I have actually sent or received a video via MMS, so this just isn't a factor at all for me. What else is it that makes iMessage such an attraction to everyone? Is it just what you're used to, or is there more?

It's instantaneous. Most of the time Textra is fairly quick, but MMS is sometimes so slow. Plus MMS doesn't always even work. I'm talking pics not video. There's the video compression, but you said that's not a factor for you, and I understand that. I like that it works over wifi. My carrier doesn't allow for wifi mms. I'm not sure if it's the animations Apple uses or what, but something about it feels smoother. That could def be a trick of the eye though. Lastly, I like the read receipts.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

It's instantaneous. Most of the time Textra is fairly quick, but MMS is sometimes so slow. Plus MMS doesn't always even work. I'm talking pics not video. There's the video compression, but you said that's not a factor for you, and I understand that. I like that it works over wifi. My carrier doesn't allow for wifi mms. I'm not sure if it's the animations Apple uses or what, but something about it feels smoother. That could def be a trick of the eye though. Lastly, I like the read receipts.

Thanks. So my take on that is that it all relates to MMS, which I almost never use. So MMS seems faster, animations, less compression, and works on Wifi for your carrier in iMessage. Good stuff. Anything else?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

I am the OP and sadly i have boxed up the note 7 and now back to using the iphone. I am so sad that "coming home" after a year away didnt make me happy. I was not enjoying the note at all. The battery compared to the 6s+ is nothing to even compare. Maybe i wasn't ready to make the switch so we shall see what the future brings. The only blessing is that I am jailbroken so it makes ios at least tolerable!
Just out of curiosity, have you tried any other recent Android phones?

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

To me, it is very much like BBM used to be back when everybody had a BlackBerry -- very reliable. You get delivery and read receipts right in the message. It is also synced across iPhone, iPad and MacOS, and seems faster when it stays in the apple ecosystem. When my wife messages kids with iOS, the seem to get it before SMS.

Others that actually use iOS may be able to add to the list. Like others have said, there is very little, if anything you cannot do with Android apps, but that negates the fact that Apple has a great solution out of the box and integrated into the OS.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

Thanks. So my take on that is that it all relates to MMS, which I almost never use. So MMS seems faster, animations, less compression, and works on Wifi for your carrier in iMessage. Good stuff. Anything else?

That's pretty much it. I like Textra overall, and other than the default Messages app not being as customizable as iMessage, I liked it when I tried it. There was one setting in particular that default Messages doesn't allow that made it a dealbreaker for me. I'm in no way unhappy with my Note 7 or threatening to return it, there are just a few things I prefer about iOS.

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site

Just out of curiosity, have you tried any other recent Android phones?

I have never owned another one besides samsung. I tinkered with the idea of grabbing a discounted nexus 6p but then thought may as well wait 30 days for the new ones. I think I am going to wait until the iphone 7 and new nexus' are released and then see where i am. IF ios 10 gets jailbroken relatively soon, its a no brainer to me.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

To me, it is very much like BBM used to be back when everybody had a BlackBerry -- very reliable. You get delivery and read receipts right in the message. It is also synced across iPhone, iPad and MacOS, and seems faster when it stays in the apple ecosystem. When my wife messages kids with iOS, the seem to get it before SMS.

Others that actually use iOS may be able to add to the list. Like others have said, there is very little, if anything you cannot do with Android apps, but that negates the fact that Apple has a great solution out of the box and integrated into the OS.

You said it right when you mentioned the integration in the OS. I have found solutions to a lot of the issues, but they're not integrated into the OS. Sometimes they work great, but others they're slower than an integrated solution. You have much more choice with Android, but the integration makes things smoother overall.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

I have never owned another one besides samsung. I tinkered with the idea of grabbing a discounted nexus 6p but then thought may as well wait 30 days for the new ones. I think I am going to wait until the iphone 7 and new nexus' are released and then see where i am. IF ios 10 gets jailbroken relatively soon, its a no brainer to me.

If I'm being 100% honest, my Nextbit Robin is more fluid and speedy than my Note 7. I know it doesn't have nearly as many features, but it's a little crazy that a midrange phone with an 808 and less RAM can perform better than an 820 with more RAM.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20