Long-time iOS users...what is your real opinion of the Note 7 having made the switch?

jbcatl

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
Re: Curiosity: iPhone transplants a week later

I've been an iPhone user since the 3G, and have a Macbook Pro as my primary laptop for personal use. I have 600+ albums of ripped CD's (that I own) loaded into iTunes and use iTunes Match. My current iPhone was a 6 Plus 32GB.

My wife was on a different carrier (T-Mobile) than me (AT&T) and constantly complained about the service. Since her S4 was getting pretty old we decided to hit the AT&T store to get her a new S7 on AT&T. Walked in and the AT&T guy immediately let us know that the Samsung S7, S7 Edge and Note 7 were BOGO at the time (last Saturday). You pay for the more expensive device but the lesser one is free (credited to your bill). So, I decided if someone wants to offer us that much "free", it would be a good time to see how the other half lives. I didn't walk into the store expecting to walk out an Android owner, and my wife gave me endless grief since we have some good back and forth on Android vs iPhone. On top of that they gave us a tablet that works on our data plan for $10/month. I have corporate discounts so activation fees were waived on everything.

So, I've had the phone 5+ days now. So far I like the configurability, but as others have suggested at the beginning of this thread, the Apple ecosystem is more tightly integrated, and just overall smoother. I suppose it can be confining but that never bothered me. Battery life on my 2 year old 6 Plus is better, though pushing less pixels. My thought process is that I will give this phone a year or so to see how Android works out for me. By then the iPhone 8 will be out, and allegedly a full redesign for the 10 year anniversary, and I'll have some resalable hardware to make up for any additional costs if I feel the desire to switch back.

What I've noticed so far is a somewhat unpolished experience when using apps from the Play store. Some crash, the installed Gmail app needs some additional package to be downloaded from what seems an unknown site to enable Exchange functionality, some offer less features than the iOS counterparts.

At the end of the day though, I've settled on a decent email application (Cloud Magic) that supports all of my accounts, and have my basic phone functionality working OK. We'll see how it goes from here. I still have a week to return it if there comes some OMG NOOO moment.

PrestigeWorldWide91

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site

I switched from an iPhone 6s plus to the Note7 on launch day. I'm truly enjoying this phone. The customization options are endless and using widgets are unbelievably handy. I don't see myself going back to iPhone.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

At the end of the day though, I've settled on a decent email application (Cloud Magic) that supports all of my accounts, and have my basic phone functionality working OK. We'll see how it goes from here. I still have a week to return it if there comes some OMG NOOO moment.

I've used CloudMagic for a few years, and I love it. For all the email apps I tried it works best with my Apple email address. I only have a gmail address to sign into my Android phones. I'm honestly kind of a strange Android user though. I use little to no Google services.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site

You can't beat the size of the note or the edge. Samsung did a great job with these devices I cant believe how much smaller the note is compared to the 6s plus and it's a bigger screen 5.7 compared to 5.5 on the plus.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

What I've noticed so far is a somewhat unpolished experience when using apps from the Play store. Some crash, the installed Gmail app needs some additional package to be downloaded from what seems an unknown site to enable Exchange functionality, some offer less features than the iOS counterparts.

You sound committed to the change, so stick around here. You will be amazed at how helpful the community can be to find the apps and settings to do what you want, and maybe more.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

You can't beat the size of the note or the edge. Samsung did a great job with these devices I cant believe how much smaller the note is compared to the 6s plus and it's a bigger screen 5.7 compared to 5.5 on the plus.

I was out with my wife last night and she had her 6s sitting next my my N7, the size difference really struck me.

weesy

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

Over the years I've gone back and forth from iOS to android, but have been primarily iOS in the last few years. There are definitely some things I miss. The smoothness of my daily apps is definitely something I miss. As some one who spends a lot of time on social media working on branding and social media marketing, my 6s plus really was great. All the apps ran well, no lag. In-app cameras always performed well, not so much now. Also, for some reason my 6s plus keyboard could also better keep up with the speed at which I type, my N7 keyboard doesn't quite keep up.

All in all, there are definitely some things I miss but at the end of the day I really love my N7. I can't see myself going back now.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

It amazing how well Samsung made large screens so small. It sounds funny but so true.
The other thing I have noticed is the gap is closed on how close to the screen the icons seem. That was one of the things I liked better on the apple display in the past. Now I look down on the Note 7 screen and it looks like a dummy unit. The display is damn near perfect.

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site

I've only had it for a couple of hours (had pre-order problems) but the first thing I've noticed is how small it seems compared to my iP6s+ and how easy it is to use one-handed.

To all you Galaxy vets out there - why does the Galaxy sometimes open directly to the home screen when reading my fingerprint and other times require swipe to open?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

I've only had it for a couple of hours (had pre-order problems) but the first thing I've noticed is how small it seems compared to my iP6s+ and how easy it is to use one-handed.

To all you Galaxy vets out there - why does the Galaxy sometimes open directly to the home screen when reading my fingerprint and other times require swipe to open?

Do you have Always On Display active?

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

Just picked up the Note 7 on Tues. Coming from a 6S Plus I'm very happy. Yes once again leaving iMessage is going to be a challenge and the battery life of the 6S Plus is amazing. I've always loved Android and wanted to come back again.

In Canada the Note isn't cheap. $560 on new 2 year. Rogers offering a $200 trade in for an old phone. Found an old BB 9900 that wouldn't turn on. Brought it there and told the guy it's dead and he said don't worry and scanned another old trade in phone he had. Got $200 credit right there. He then hooked me up with a $50 credit in store also. I had a couple hundred dollar early upgrade fee also to add in. Note 7 also came with a Samsung 64GB Microsd card as well included in the box.

Really enjoying the phone that much that I packed up my 64GB 6S Plus yesterday and sold it for $900. It offset the entire cost of the Note and early upgrade fee. 😉
iMessage is the thing I miss. However I use Verizon messaging and downloaded the service to my Mac so now it is like iMessage minus being able to see someone typing back at you.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

It amazing how well Samsung made large screens so small. It sounds funny but so true.

This is so true. My LG G3 was sitting beside my mom's S6 Edge; and though there was a size difference, you could really see the size of the Edge's screen. Samsung does a great job with design, that is for sure.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

I miss how Safari reading mode creates and sends a pdf to iBooks, any workaround is more work and have issues, but that is main task and need for me.
I'm pretty sure the app Pocket does exactly the same thing from any browser. Try it out. You just share the article to Pocket.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

Ive used almost every iteration of iphone and samsung devices. never owned a nexus.

I traded in my iphone 6s+ for a note 7.

Iphone 6s is way more fluid, better camera (selfie wise) the samsung camera makes you look super fake and alien like (the back camera is good though).
Actually, the Samsung selfie camera has a wider angle making it fast better if you want to get a photo of three people or more.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

Okay maybe 6 days later but I'm curious if any of my fellow iOS transplants have the itch to go back or have already? I was an android guy and tried the iPhone 6s+. I was jail broken so it felt android ish. My instant reaction to using the note is the poor quality of apps compared to their iOS counterpart. They just don't look or operate as well. Maybe it's a placebo. I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Since I have both, an iPhone for work, and Android phones for personal use, and have only seen one app that got a significant update to iOS a few months before the same update to Android, and I have all of my apps on both, I'm just curious what are some examples of these apps that are so much better on iOS. That seems to be a common understanding here. So I'm not arguing the point, just curious.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

Love Devine I'm glad I'm not imagining the fact that iOS apps run smoother. It's not a contest really.

That's true on Samsung. On the Nexus 6P, it's not. Apps are just as fast and smooth. A bit off topic, but it's part of the price you pay for having so many additional features in the Note rather than just a symptom of Android vs. iOS.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

I'm loving the actual phone quite a bit; it's so much smaller than my 6+; I do miss iMessage quite a lot. It was great being able to text on my computer without having to ask everyone I know to switch texting apps. Overall, it's definitely different, but I'm happy.

Why not load Pushbullet (the version on Android is way different and better than the one on iOS). You can then not only reply to text and mms messages directly from a Chrome browser on your computer, but also determine what other app notifications you want to receive and react to from there. It's a lot more powerful that the iMessage integration.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

People are gonna miss iMessage and silky smooth use, I'm betting. Those are really the only reasons most everyone I know uses iOS. I know WhatsApp is used all over tbe world, but in my social circle, it's 98% iOS. People just love them some iMessage and aren't willing to give it up. YMMV.

But yeah I've used both. Have a work iPhone. I don't dislike it, but prefer Android for my personal device. I do like iMessage too. It's aggravating getting a video via MMS that's grainy and compressed to hell. Nobody is going to install another app if they are an iOS user. If your message isn't blue, they don't care about you. Silly yes. True yep.

What I found is that once you adopt a few of the Google apps, like Google Photos, which with its insanely brilliant search capabilities where if you search for photos of people, it will find them all the way to when they were kids, these issues go away. If you stick to exactly the same apps or close that you were using for the basics on the iPhone, or just the stock apps, the experience is lacking a lot. Google Now is also much more useful in real world scenarios than Siri in my experience. I use it a lot, and it proactively reminds me to leave at a certain time due to traffic, to make an appointment that isn't even in my calendar, just one it knows I've been going to every Saturday at around the same time.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

I have had the Note 7 since release day and I am actually thinking about returning this Note. I'm am nowhere near a fan boy but I always find myself giving the Note series a try and then running back to iOS within a few days like I'm doing now.

It is a great device and I want love it and use it for a good bit of time but they battery life and quality of apps are killing me. One thing that I miss is all the apps that utilkze the fingerprint scanner on the iPhone. There are almost zero apps that use it for Android. Where I would quickly touch my fingerprint I find myself having to type my passwords in.

Technically, you could and maybe should be using a password manager app anyway like LastPass. If you do, you'll find that it automatically fills in the auto-generated and much more secure passwords into any app you use that still requires a username and password. Unlike iOS, where no app can paint over another, in Android, LastPass can insert usernames and passwords into any other app. You also don't have to log in with your fingerprint every single time. Just every few minutes (you decide). So this issue should be a non-issue if you invest in a decent password vault/manager, and you'll have better security too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie