09-01-2016 10:09 PM
115 12345
tools
    I just got a Bodyguardz HD Contour screen protector today. It's not tempered glass, which is what I wanted, but so far I really like it. Fits pretty well, and the screen looks great. Can't even tell the protector is there when the phone is on. I wasn't going to get one either, but I'm a Firefighter. I am not always the kindest to my phones. LOL So I decided to get something on it to protect it. I bought it at the AT&T store. But it's also on eBay and Amazon.
    felloffthetruck likes this.
    08-27-2016 08:51 PM
    I'll read the reviews of the actual users. I missed no point!
    You did miss the point. You said -

Corning DID NOT refute the test. In the eyes of many, that says something.
    That was incorrect.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    08-28-2016 12:32 AM
    I see where they refuted the test, or tried to refute the test, missed that earlier in the week. I still stand by what the actual users are experiencing and posting. It's my money buying these Gorilla Glass designs.
    08-28-2016 01:10 AM
    Whatever the point, it seems pure silly to develop glass that is easier to scratch on a curve display, considering more problematic getting a protector to adhere properly or stay secure on edges very long. The edge of the protector can also get in the way when using the edge of display and facilitates it slowly coming off.

Gravity usually wins over glass when dropped, so more objectively prudent to focus on scratch resistance as priority- especially for curved displays.

There are already more scratch issues being brought up than previous devices, so seems something maybe has digressed with Corning quality. No scratches on my MXPE after a year, so expect same with Note 7.
    08-28-2016 08:26 AM
    I'm currently not using a screen protector, I've ordered a plastic one but in the past I ended up just taking them off of on my s6 edge. I tried the horrible tempered glass which of course doesn't work with cases and even without a case made the screen sensitivity un acceptable near the bottom and top edges.

If this plasticity screen protector gets orange peel like or to rubbery, I will definitely go no screen protector and hope.
    08-28-2016 08:35 AM
    I'm not gonna get a screen protector. I also had the s6e and s7e and nothing ever works well for these curved screens from what I've seen. People are always like, oh I'll wait until a good one comes out. Don't hold your breath. So far I've got no scratches.

I never have coins in my pocket cause I never pay with cash. I also don't carry keys with me. My cars don't need them and my house also has keyless entry. So there's nothing I have to worry about except for dropping my device. Hopefully GG5 will be better for that.
    Gray Area and Viscomi4444 like this.
    08-28-2016 08:59 AM
    I don't have one yet; like the rest of you, I'm waiting for one that fits properly and won't interfere with a case. Or until the Otterbox Defender comes out, since I may get one of those.

I have a Spigen Neo Hybrid on the phone right now, but I have their heavier-duty case due here on Monday (the one with the kickstand). In the meantime I'll just be super careful with it. If it scratches, I may contact Corning and Samsung and go WTF.

My Note 3 only had a couple of VERY light scratches on the screen after three years. I had an Otterbox Commuter case on it and it did a great job of protecting it from various drops, including some face-down ones.
    I did the same thing. I don't know why people were so quick to buy a screen protector without any buyer reviews. I'm glad someone did so the rest of us didn't have to be the guinea pigs, though.
    I am just going to try and be a little more careful with this phone. Just basically being more aware of where it is, if can fall out of a pocket or off of a table and stuff like that.
    To me, plastic screen protectors feel like garbage and only protect against scratches. Without tempered glass to distribute a direct hit on the screen, those will crack as well.
    08-28-2016 09:04 AM
    Drops are typically just luck of the draw. with any device. It doesn't really matter if your device has a screen protector or not. people buy screen protectors for that extra protection from scratches and drops. and lets be honest. its a lot cheaper to buy a screen protector then it is to purchase a repair for a deep scratch on your screen. Choosing to protect your device is a choice. nothing wrong with spending money to protect your high dollar investment. it just means that much more when it comes time to resell it. you want to be able to tell your buyers that your phone has absolutely no scratches and has been protected from such. you get a lot more return from the phone. other then that. screen protectors are pretty worthless.
    Gray Area likes this.
    08-28-2016 09:34 AM
    No screen protector for me and the screen looks perfect but i do have a spigen ultra hybrid case on it and i also put it into a leather pouch for extra protection. I tried so many screen protectors with no luck of them staying on the edges. The only thing that ever touches my screen is my fingers and hands and i take a microfiber cloth with a alcohol and ammonia free screen cleaner to remove smudges and fingerprints every couple days. I think if keys or coins hit the screen then you might have a problem but im very happy with the glass.
    Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    08-28-2016 12:59 PM
    From my Palm Treo up to my Note 7 I've never used a screen protector. AND never had a scratch.

It's like putting a clear plastic cover on the saddle of your new Harley and like putting clear plastic slip covers on your brand new living room set.

That being the case, scratches HAVE to be attributed to lifestyle.

PEACE. alan
    08-28-2016 03:17 PM
    Exactly. I made a similar comparison when this discussion came up on a previous phone. (It comes up for every phone)
    People are more worried about the resale value than enjoying it themselves.
    For us folks on the lease program, it's a tossup, because it can't have scratches when you turn it in.
    Shamshi-Adad and Gray Area like this.
    08-28-2016 03:20 PM
    The note 7 is extremely hard to scratch, Corning already debunked that scratch test. I haven't even noticed a single hairline scratch on mine and I've even let kids play with it (no screen protector). If yours is scratched then you are careless and shoudn't have an expensive device like this.
    Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    08-28-2016 03:50 PM
    The note 7 is extremely hard to scratch, Corning already debunked that scratch test. I haven't even noticed a single hairline scratch on mine and I've even let kids play with it (no screen protector). If yours is scratched then you are careless and shoudn't have an expensive device like this.
    Indeed. Like I said, screen scratches come from lifestyle.

And an "accident" is bogus. An event termed an " accident" means somebody did something wrong. Well, they shouldn't have done that. Lifestyle.

Peace. Alan
    08-28-2016 03:55 PM
    Exactly. I made a similar comparison when this discussion came up on a previous phone. (It comes up for every phone)
    People are more worried about the resale value than enjoying it themselves.
    For us folks on the lease program, it's a tossup, because it can't have scratches when you turn it in.
    Woah..... Why you lease? Mine's paid for at the end of my 2 year Verizon plan.

Peace. Alan
    08-28-2016 04:34 PM
    That's not the case with the Verizon lease at all... The phone just needs to be in good working order. Here is the reality the phones go to a warehouse and get scanned and checked to make sure they power on that's it.
    Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    08-28-2016 04:36 PM
    I used the Verizon packaged plastic screen cover till my Gear VR arrived. Then it was off with the halo inducing screen cover. The Note7 back protection also has to come off to fit the Gear VR slot.
    There is no optically clear screen protection that I know of and one I can afford.
    So no screen covers for me. In case any of you are planning to invest in the VR headset then save your money and pass on the the screen protector.
    Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    08-28-2016 04:59 PM
    Like some others here .. I don't use a screen protector. To be honest I have never used one on any of my phones. This will continue on with my Note 7.
    Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    08-28-2016 05:06 PM
    I just got a Bodyguardz HD Contour screen protector today. It's not tempered glass, which is what I wanted, but so far I really like it. Fits pretty well, and the screen looks great. Can't even tell the protector is there when the phone is on. I wasn't going to get one either, but I'm a Firefighter. I am not always the kindest to my phones. LOL So I decided to get something on it to protect it. I bought it at the AT&T store. But it's also on eBay and Amazon.
    Can you post a couple of pictures showing this protector on the phone?
    Thanks.
    08-28-2016 05:32 PM
    I used the Verizon packaged plastic screen cover till my Gear VR arrived. Then it was off with the halo inducing screen cover. The Note7 back protection also has to come off to fit the Gear VR slot.
    There is no optically clear screen protection that I know of and one I can afford.
    So no screen covers for me. In case any of you are planning to invest in the VR headset then save your money and pass on the the screen protector.
    Let me offer you some wisdom from I believe it was the first Star Wars movie:

Luke Skywalker looked at Yoda and said, "I'll TRY not to scratch my screen."
    Yoda looked down and then looked up at Luke and said, "DO or DO NOT...... There is NO TRY."

Peace. Alan
    08-28-2016 05:33 PM
    Like some others here .. I don't use a screen protector. To be honest I have never used one on any of my phones. This will continue on with my Note 7.
    Please keep us informed on any scratches and how you got them.
    As soft as this glass sounds I don't think I could sleep without some form of screen protection. I'm still rockin the factory clear plastic protector on mine.
    08-28-2016 05:35 PM
    Well I had my Note in my right pocket for hours today forgetting I had my keys in the same pocket. Took the phone out and was getting ready for some scratches. Not a single mark anywhere so it was a relief. 😉
    08-28-2016 05:48 PM
    Please keep us informed on any scratches and how you got them.
    As soft as this glass sounds I don't think I could sleep without some form of screen protection. I'm still rockin the factory clear plastic protector on mine.
    As soft as this glass sounds....?

Peace. Alan
    felloffthetruck likes this.
    08-28-2016 05:52 PM
    Well I had my Note in my right pocket for hours today forgetting I had my keys in the same pocket. Took the phone out and was getting ready for some scratches. Not a single mark anywhere so it was a relief.
    Bravo!!! a real life, non-jerry-rigged test. for all the scared folks.

Peace.Alan
    08-28-2016 05:54 PM
    Well I had my Note in my right pocket for hours today forgetting I had my keys in the same pocket. Took the phone out and was getting ready for some scratches. Not a single mark anywhere so it was a relief.
    Bravo!!! a real life, non-jerry-rigged test for all the scared folks.

Peace.Alan
    08-28-2016 05:54 PM
    Yes, they said they weren't scratches but material transfer. Does it really matter what it's called if your new $900 device has been cosmetically damaged due to normal daily usage and you can't just wipe it off?
    If corning said the cracks aren't really cracks they're fractures, is that going to make anyone feel any better?

Some people have scratches, some people don't, I see no reason to assume every single person that has scratches must be careless.
    I'm not directing that last comment directly at you, it's a general statement.
    08-28-2016 06:19 PM
115 12345