Why do we need a screen protector?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I am confused, since did not have a protector on my MXPE and there is not even a hint of a scratch after one year (I use a belt case, not in pockets). I have a Freefly VR that I use with it and if there were even a slight scratch, it would look like a giant snake on the display when watching movies. Even a spec of dust looks like a fat gerbil on it.

Thinking that IF GG5 is better than GG4 (on MXPE), I should not need a protector- Unless GG5 actually has weaker scratch protection than GG4. That would seem dumb.

Last edited:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It is possible GG5 has weaker scratch protection. According to some info from Corning and a knowledgeable team member, it seems more shatter resistance might not be compatible with more scratch resistance.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
It is possible GG5 has weaker scratch protection. According to some info from Corning and a knowledgeable team member, it seems more shatter resistance might not be compatible with more scratch resistance.

If correct, that would be silly for them, since most damage is scratches. Drops with glass is almost always catastrophic and harder glass is not helping much with that. Even 50% greater would still mean gravity and hard surfaces win.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
If correct, that would be silly for them, since most damage is scratches. Drops with glass is almost always catastrophic and harder glass is not helping much with that. Even 50% greater would still mean gravity and hard surfaces win.

Well drops with glass aren't always. I think the corners sticking up are a weak spot though.

I dropped my Note 5, careless on the driveway, not a scratch or crack on the glass.

blackhemi4x4

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Mine got a deep long scratch today. Didn't drop it. It's been in my pocket all day, like every other phone I've owned. Not sure how.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

Typical of American companies these days... refute and create diversion among the readers.

A number here have come right out and posted... problems with scratches on their Note 7. Are they hallucinating these scratches and imperfections? Are we back in the good old days of Owsley LSD of the sixties?

If there is a problem, Corning needs to step up and deal with it. Btw, I went to college near Corning.

If not, create a screen protector that WORKS!

Viscomi4444

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I never use a screen protector with my phones ever since the droid razr. When i took it off, I couldn't believe how much clearer the display was and how filthy and dust magnet the screen protector plastic crap was. I dont care what the reviews or other people say. A plastic screen protector attracts dust, debris and finger prints not long after.

When I saw the scratch test review by jerryrigeverything, I still wasnt worried because I know my phone wont ever come in contact with razors and sharp objects like that. A real world scratch test would involve coins and keys. The note7 passed that in flying colors. I only wear a ringke fusion crystal clear slim case while at work.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Typical of American companies these days... refute and create diversion among the readers.

A number here have come right out and posted... problems with scratches on their Note 7. Are they hallucinating these scratches and imperfections? Are we back in the good old days of Owsley LSD of the sixties?

If there is a problem, Corning needs to step up and deal with it. Btw, I went to college near Corning.

Ya, I think the least they could do is to publish a experimental video of their own "controlled" test rather than arguing other people are not doing it correctly

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Yes I'm aware of that, they addressed the test done wasn't a controlled test. That is a different issue. The issue that was discussed on the other thread was what is involved in making something scratch resistant and something shatter resistant at the same time.

Maybe Gorrilla Glass 6, we sure got screwed with 5.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

They should have refuted that test. For a test like that to even be considered valid, it has to be done in a controlled environment.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I never use a screen protector with my phones ever since the droid razr. When i took it off, I couldn't believe how much clearer the display was and how filthy and dust magnet the screen protector plastic crap was. I dont care what the reviews or other people say. A plastic screen protector attracts dust, debris and finger prints not long after.

When I saw the scratch test review by jerryrigeverything, I still wasnt worried because I know my phone wont ever come in contact with razors and sharp objects like that. A real world scratch test would involve coins and keys. The note7 passed that in flying colors. I only wear a ringke fusion crystal clear slim case while at work.

I wonder if some just aren't used to the raised screen and corners. It would be much easier to scratch the phone when you aren't used to that.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Like everyone else, I was horrified when I saw the original scratch test video with the guy using the picks. However since then, I have seen multiple scratch test videos of people using keys and knives to scratch the note, leaving no mark. My phone goes into my left pocket with nothing else in it. I never drop my phone (dropped a phone less than 5 times in 6 years). I have used screen protectors in the past, however I need a tempered glass one as I hate the feel of the plastic ones. I have yet to see a tempered glass one that covers the whole screen and works with a case with no issues. The ones I have seen either only cover the middle or only have adhesive on the sides which makes the middle too flexible. Since I don't plan on attacking my phone with a knife anytime soon, am I crazy for not using a screen protector? If there was a tempered glass solution that worked well I'd be all over it but I haven't seen one. I should also mention that I am rocking a UAG case. UAG is the only case I will use. Protective and thin.
Uag provides good side drop protection, but very minimal face drop protection. Combined with no screen protector and the screen could get scratched or cracked if dropped on the face.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Always used one even when went naked over the years.

Scratching the screen is easier than dropping the phone and it's not like you can avoid it like scratch/dent on the body where you just need to get a case.

Also, resale value.

My question is why CAN'T companies apply a screen protector OUT OF THE BOX like OnePlus and LET THE USER DECIDE IF THEY WANT IT OR NOT but I guess it's business with third party accessories?
The note 7 did come with a pre installed screen protector, or at least my Verizon one did.

Although I am sure that many would be disappointed in the Verizon one since Verizon de contented all the text on the screen protector.

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Gorilla glass 5 scratches easily compared to 4. And gorilla glass 4 scratches easier the gorilla glass 3.

But they are more shatter proof

Gorilla glass 3 few! Htc 10 only new phone with the best glass