Why do we need a screen protector?

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I never bought any of the GG claims. If there is glass on my phone, I'm treating it that way, period.

Glass breaks, glass scratches. And even when we get to GG144, I'll still know there is a chance I may scratch or shatter it.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Screen protectors for curved screens are not perfected yet and I only use glass ones the plastic type don't work well with s pen.

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't have one yet; like the rest of you, I'm waiting for one that fits properly and won't interfere with a case. Or until the Otterbox Defender comes out, since I may get one of those.

I have a Spigen Neo Hybrid on the phone right now, but I have their heavier-duty case due here on Monday (the one with the kickstand). In the meantime I'll just be super careful with it. If it scratches, I may contact Corning and Samsung and go WTF.

My Note 3 only had a couple of VERY light scratches on the screen after three years. I had an Otterbox Commuter case on it and it did a great job of protecting it from various drops, including some face-down ones.

Jvazquez930

May 10, 2013
Visit site
this "reinvented" screen is messing with company's heads trying to get it right,lol. A few have been lucky with a "decent " protector but for the most part no one has it right. I went ahead and bought the S View case from Samsung just to have something to protect the screen.

From A Buick 8

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
i have tried to use screen protectors a few times but i just do not like them so i do not use them, i try to take good care of my phones. if i scratch it then i will just have to deal with it.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
That's correct. I will read actual user experience.

You have totally missed the point. Corning refuted the test he did and with good reason. That was what I addressed in the first place and they told why they refuted his test.

I agree they should refute that test, that doesn't mean he isn't correct.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
You have totally missed the point. Corning refuted the test he did and with good reason. That was what I addressed in the first place and they told why they refuted his test.

I agree they should refute that test, that doesn't mean he isn't correct.

I'll read the reviews of the actual users. I missed no point!

JDfan3340

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I just got a Bodyguardz HD Contour screen protector today. It's not tempered glass, which is what I wanted, but so far I really like it. Fits pretty well, and the screen looks great. Can't even tell the protector is there when the phone is on. I wasn't going to get one either, but I'm a Firefighter. I am not always the kindest to my phones. LOL So I decided to get something on it to protect it. I bought it at the AT&T store. But it's also on eBay and Amazon.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I see where they refuted the test, or tried to refute the test, missed that earlier in the week. I still stand by what the actual users are experiencing and posting. It's my money buying these Gorilla Glass designs.

Last edited:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Whatever the point, it seems pure silly to develop glass that is easier to scratch on a curve display, considering more problematic getting a protector to adhere properly or stay secure on edges very long. The edge of the protector can also get in the way when using the edge of display and facilitates it slowly coming off.

Gravity usually wins over glass when dropped, so more objectively prudent to focus on scratch resistance as priority- especially for curved displays.

There are already more scratch issues being brought up than previous devices, so seems something maybe has digressed with Corning quality. No scratches on my MXPE after a year, so expect same with Note 7.

Last edited:

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently not using a screen protector, I've ordered a plastic one but in the past I ended up just taking them off of on my s6 edge. I tried the horrible tempered glass which of course doesn't work with cases and even without a case made the screen sensitivity un acceptable near the bottom and top edges.

If this plasticity screen protector gets orange peel like or to rubbery, I will definitely go no screen protector and hope.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm not gonna get a screen protector. I also had the s6e and s7e and nothing ever works well for these curved screens from what I've seen. People are always like, oh I'll wait until a good one comes out. Don't hold your breath. So far I've got no scratches.

I never have coins in my pocket cause I never pay with cash. I also don't carry keys with me. My cars don't need them and my house also has keyless entry. So there's nothing I have to worry about except for dropping my device. Hopefully GG5 will be better for that.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't have one yet; like the rest of you, I'm waiting for one that fits properly and won't interfere with a case. Or until the Otterbox Defender comes out, since I may get one of those.

I have a Spigen Neo Hybrid on the phone right now, but I have their heavier-duty case due here on Monday (the one with the kickstand). In the meantime I'll just be super careful with it. If it scratches, I may contact Corning and Samsung and go WTF.

My Note 3 only had a couple of VERY light scratches on the screen after three years. I had an Otterbox Commuter case on it and it did a great job of protecting it from various drops, including some face-down ones.
I did the same thing. I don't know why people were so quick to buy a screen protector without any buyer reviews. I'm glad someone did so the rest of us didn't have to be the guinea pigs, though.
I am just going to try and be a little more careful with this phone. Just basically being more aware of where it is, if can fall out of a pocket or off of a table and stuff like that.
To me, plastic screen protectors feel like garbage and only protect against scratches. Without tempered glass to distribute a direct hit on the screen, those will crack as well.

JoBudden

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Drops are typically just luck of the draw. with any device. It doesn't really matter if your device has a screen protector or not. people buy screen protectors for that extra protection from scratches and drops. and lets be honest. its a lot cheaper to buy a screen protector then it is to purchase a repair for a deep scratch on your screen. Choosing to protect your device is a choice. nothing wrong with spending money to protect your high dollar investment. it just means that much more when it comes time to resell it. you want to be able to tell your buyers that your phone has absolutely no scratches and has been protected from such. you get a lot more return from the phone. other then that. screen protectors are pretty worthless.

Chitown28

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
No screen protector for me and the screen looks perfect but i do have a spigen ultra hybrid case on it and i also put it into a leather pouch for extra protection. I tried so many screen protectors with no luck of them staying on the edges. The only thing that ever touches my screen is my fingers and hands and i take a microfiber cloth with a alcohol and ammonia free screen cleaner to remove smudges and fingerprints every couple days. I think if keys or coins hit the screen then you might have a problem but im very happy with the glass.

Shamshi-Adad

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
From my Palm Treo up to my Note 7 I've never used a screen protector. AND never had a scratch.

It's like putting a clear plastic cover on the saddle of your new Harley and like putting clear plastic slip covers on your brand new living room set.

That being the case, scratches HAVE to be attributed to lifestyle.

PEACE. alan