Why do we need a screen protector?

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. I made a similar comparison when this discussion came up on a previous phone. (It comes up for every phone)
People are more worried about the resale value than enjoying it themselves.
For us folks on the lease program, it's a tossup, because it can't have scratches when you turn it in.

Bartone

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
The note 7 is extremely hard to scratch, Corning already debunked that scratch test. I haven't even noticed a single hairline scratch on mine and I've even let kids play with it (no screen protector). If yours is scratched then you are careless and shoudn't have an expensive device like this.

Shamshi-Adad

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
The note 7 is extremely hard to scratch, Corning already debunked that scratch test. I haven't even noticed a single hairline scratch on mine and I've even let kids play with it (no screen protector). If yours is scratched then you are careless and shoudn't have an expensive device like this.

Indeed. Like I said, screen scratches come from lifestyle.

And an "accident" is bogus. An event termed an " accident" means somebody did something wrong. Well, they shouldn't have done that. Lifestyle.

Peace. Alan

Shamshi-Adad

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Exactly. I made a similar comparison when this discussion came up on a previous phone. (It comes up for every phone)
People are more worried about the resale value than enjoying it themselves.
For us folks on the lease program, it's a tossup, because it can't have scratches when you turn it in.
Woah..... Why you lease? Mine's paid for at the end of my 2 year Verizon plan.

Peace. Alan

dobo84

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
That's not the case with the Verizon lease at all... The phone just needs to be in good working order. Here is the reality the phones go to a warehouse and get scanned and checked to make sure they power on that's it.

rganguli

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I used the Verizon packaged plastic screen cover till my Gear VR arrived. Then it was off with the halo inducing screen cover. The Note7 back protection also has to come off to fit the Gear VR slot.
There is no optically clear screen protection that I know of and one I can afford.
So no screen covers for me. In case any of you are planning to invest in the VR headset then save your money and pass on the the screen protector.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Like some others here .. I don't use a screen protector. To be honest I have never used one on any of my phones. This will continue on with my Note 7.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I just got a Bodyguardz HD Contour screen protector today. It's not tempered glass, which is what I wanted, but so far I really like it. Fits pretty well, and the screen looks great. Can't even tell the protector is there when the phone is on. I wasn't going to get one either, but I'm a Firefighter. I am not always the kindest to my phones. LOL So I decided to get something on it to protect it. I bought it at the AT&T store. But it's also on eBay and Amazon.

Can you post a couple of pictures showing this protector on the phone?
Thanks.

Shamshi-Adad

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I used the Verizon packaged plastic screen cover till my Gear VR arrived. Then it was off with the halo inducing screen cover. The Note7 back protection also has to come off to fit the Gear VR slot.
There is no optically clear screen protection that I know of and one I can afford.
So no screen covers for me. In case any of you are planning to invest in the VR headset then save your money and pass on the the screen protector.
Let me offer you some wisdom from I believe it was the first Star Wars movie:

Luke Skywalker looked at Yoda and said, "I'll TRY not to scratch my screen."
Yoda looked down and then looked up at Luke and said, "DO or DO NOT...... There is NO TRY."

Peace. Alan

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Like some others here .. I don't use a screen protector. To be honest I have never used one on any of my phones. This will continue on with my Note 7.

Please keep us informed on any scratches and how you got them.
As soft as this glass sounds I don't think I could sleep without some form of screen protection. I'm still rockin the factory clear plastic protector on mine. :-\

DX9

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Well I had my Note in my right pocket for hours today forgetting I had my keys in the same pocket. Took the phone out and was getting ready for some scratches. Not a single mark anywhere so it was a relief. 😉

Shamshi-Adad

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Well I had my Note in my right pocket for hours today forgetting I had my keys in the same pocket. Took the phone out and was getting ready for some scratches. Not a single mark anywhere so it was a relief. ??????
Bravo!!! a real life, non-jerry-rigged test. for all the scared folks.

Peace.Alan

Shamshi-Adad

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Well I had my Note in my right pocket for hours today forgetting I had my keys in the same pocket. Took the phone out and was getting ready for some scratches. Not a single mark anywhere so it was a relief. ??????
Bravo!!! a real life, non-jerry-rigged test for all the scared folks.

Peace.Alan

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

Yes, they said they weren't scratches but material transfer. Does it really matter what it's called if your new $900 device has been cosmetically damaged due to normal daily usage and you can't just wipe it off?
If corning said the cracks aren't really cracks they're fractures, is that going to make anyone feel any better?

Some people have scratches, some people don't, I see no reason to assume every single person that has scratches must be careless.
I'm not directing that last comment directly at you, it's a general statement.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Woah..... Why you lease? Mine's paid for at the end of my 2 year Verizon plan.

Peace. Alan
With T-mobile JOD, you have the option to keep it 18 months and pay off the balance. Then, you own it outright. However, you can also upgrade up to 3 times a year. That's why I lease.
T-mobile AFAIK doesn't have strictly a payment plan. When you are still using your Note7 next year wondering when you'll get the next Android update, I'll be playing with my Note8.

mgorlets

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
They can call it what they want. It's well documented that the display scratches much easier. There are way to many accounts of it scratching this early. Looks like they got some defective glass out and do not want to own up to it. If they really want to stand behind the it's just as scratch resistant as gg4. But we know it's not.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
No... I'll read the comments of the actual users.

I can see your reasoning, but the problem is most of the people I've seen with problems, have 1 post on this website and it's just to bash Samsung. So you have to realize some people may not actually be credible even though at face value they appear to be.

Shamshi-Adad

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
With T-mobile JOD, you have the option to keep it 18 months and pay off the balance. Then, you own it outright. However, you can also upgrade up to 3 times a year. That's why I lease.
T-mobile AFAIK doesn't have strictly a payment plan. When you are still using your Note7 next year wondering when you'll get the next Android update, I'll be playing with my Note8.
THAT sounds like a pretty neat deal. NOW DON'T SCRATCH IT!!! :p

Peace. Alan

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
:cool: Here's my unwise opinion on this issue-Huha! "Why we need Screen protection"
to Save the Phone's screen of Scratches, holes, stains, cigarrets burns,.Noo
you're Nut Sam, seriously it happens..If got all the above: I'll buy another-1

In all my phones Never have used this protection.? Why 'cause when Tap an icon
app or link..I've to tapping twice at times to display the Text. Without this
useless plastic--Get easier to make my selections on the Screen

As side Note: I hope sooner the Phone makers create a Screen that "Avoid"
the finger prints on the Screen surface, when tapping. I hate to clean almost
daily my screen to Remove these marks..Any comment welcome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy