Please help with adware problem

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Something has taken over my lock screen and is putting ads there. UBER Ads, Amazon ads, etc... Now, instead of swiping up to unlock, it has me swiping to the right, and is showing various ads. How do I go about finding and getting rid of this?

I guess this is life on Android. Years and years with Blackberry and never saw anything like this. Now, less than a week on Android and already infected. Thanks for any help you Android experts can offer. I am an Android noob.

Attachments

• 4329.jpg
    4329.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 140

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Please help with aware problem

Something has taken over my lock screen and is putting ads there. UBER Ads, Amazon ads, etc... Now, instead of swiping up to unlock, it has me swiping to the right, and is showing various ads. How do I go about finding and getting rid of this?

I guess this is life on Android. Years and years with Blackberry and never saw anything like this. Now, less than a week on Android and already infected. Thanks for any help you Android experts can offer. I am an Android noob.

No, it's not life on Android, it's life on Android for those that install apps they shouldn't.

Do yourself a favor and Uninstall ES file explorer if you have it, or any other recent app you just installed right before this began happening.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
That doesn't even look like a Note 7/Touchwiz lockscreen. I wouldn't say that this is life on Android. I've been using Android for years and never had a virus or malware on it. The only time I heard of someone getting a virus is when they install stuff from unknown sources and not the Android store (sideloading). Hopefully some more of more experienced people who have dealt with this type of stuff can help you.

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Yeah something you recently downloaded has taken over your lock screen....Gotta be careful with the apps you download....Just because they come from the official store doesn't mean their good for your device

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

No, it's not life on Android, it's life on Android for those that install apps they shouldn't.

I'm sorry but that is largely subjective. Sure, you can sideload 'dodgy' apps that push ads to your phone but I've had perfectly legit apps, downloaded from Google Play, also do it. There are apps that seem totally innocuous, like ES File Explorer for instance, that do this. It's shameful and bloody annoying that the innocent user, especially those that came from the soft cocoon of Apple, have to deal with trash like this

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

I'm sorry but that is largely subjective. Sure, you can sideload 'dodgy' apps that push ads to your phone but I've had perfectly legit apps, downloaded from Google Play, also do it. There are apps that seem totally innocuous, like ES File Explorer for instance, that do this. It's shameful and bloody annoying that the innocent user, especially those that came from the soft cocoon of Apple, have to deal with trash like this

I responded to the insinuation of that life on Android is like that, like a fact. No, it isn't. I've had Android phones for about 6 years now and just had something similar once, just after installing ES File Explorer, hence my recommendation.

Even when the app is on the Play Store, you should read user reviews before installing anything, most apps and basically all well known apps doesn't do that, but when you move to download apps for Video or MP3 downloading, or any shady app easily recognized by its bad layouts and interface, and a lot of the Root needed apps, then you open yourself for this kind of things.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I installed ES File manager, and even paid for pro. Got it from the official Google Play Store, and the app seemed legit. I liked it because it seemed to work well for transferring files back and forth over my Lan between phone and PC.

I'll try Uninstalling it.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I installed ES File manager, and even paid for pro. Got it from the official Google Play Store, and the app seemed legit. I liked it because it seemed to work well for transferring files back and forth over my Lan between phone and PC.

I'll try Uninstalling it.

Bingo...

That app was great but they just screwed everything recently with an update that just does that. People have complained but they seem to not give a *amn so just ask Google for your money back if you still have the chance and Uninstall that POS.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
In your defense coming from any ecosystem to Android is a big change and while ES File Manager does show 4.5 stars and 100 million downloads - the last review on the main page says "Do not install this app! It will put spam notifications on your device". It sucks that we need to be more careful than those downloading from the Apple Store but it's one of the trade offs we as Android users either have to accept for the freedom of the system - or not - depending on what you're comfortable with.

A good system to follow is look at the reviews for each app and sort them by newest and most recent version. That'll give you an idea if the app has taken a turn for the worse recently or not.

Hope removing it sorts you out and you give Android a chance.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I just uninstalled mine this morning, coincidentally. I got some weird lockscreen when I turned on my phone as well. No ads, though.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
In your defense coming from any ecosystem to Android is a big change and while ES File System does show 4.5 stars and almost 3 million downloads - the last review on the main page says "Do not install this app! It will put spam notifications on your device". It sucks that we need to be more careful than those downloading from the Apple Store but it's one of the trade offs we as Android users either have to accept for the freedom of the system - or not - depending on what you're comfortable with. Hope removing it sorts you out and you give Android a chance.

Yes, it seemed highly rated and legit. Guess I have to be extra careful. I have Uninstalled it and will see what happens. I am giving Android a Chance. No choice really since my preferred platform is dying and they themselves are moving to Android.

I have this phone (beautiful, by the way) set up to do most of what I did with my Blackberry. Some things are better, some worse. I was surprised and disappointed though to find out that this thing does not support Miracast. I used that a lot with my BlackBerry and assumed it would work on Android. Now I'm not sure of a way to mirror my phone to my TV's (wirelessly). What is nice about Miracast is that it was a direct WiFi connection - device to device - without needing to be on a network. And it worked anywhere just by plugging the dongle into an HDMI input of any TV anywhere. Have not found a way yet to do that with this phone. Guess that's for another thread.

traynor1987

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Ok so I was going to install Es file explorer when I get my phone, I use it on my nvidia shield and it makes life 100 times easier, no adware because they can't so didn't know it does this.

What would you recommend as an alternative?

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
And one reason I'm torn over iOS vs Android going back and forth. And spent some time with the BB PRIV but which us a other flavor of Android too.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Ok so I was going to install Es file explorer when I get my phone, I use it on my nvidia shield and it makes life 100 times easier, no adware because they can't so didn't know it does this.

What would you recommend as an alternative?

Removing ES File Explorer seems to have fixed the problem. I am now trying File Commander (MobiSystems) and it seems to be an acceptable alternative. I am moving lots of files across my network with it now (other file explorers choked on this task).

EDIT: Spoke too soon, lock screen ads still coming... Sigh...

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Removing ES File Explorer seems to have fixed the problem. I am now trying File Commander (MobiSystems) and it seems to be an acceptable alternative. I am moving lots of files across my network with it now (other file explorers choked on this task).

EDIT: Spoke too soon, lock screen ads still coming... Sigh...

You may be able to dig into settings and adjust the app permissions to see if you can stop the ads

riot1002#AC

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

I Have owned many droids.. This has never happened to me.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
This topic should help you - http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=640251

This has been happening from a number of apps. Back in May, for me it was "Photo Editor Pro" on my Note 5.

Thank you Sandra - Yes, that is the exact problem. I think I found the culprit. An App called Applock Pro. I'm quite sure it came pre-installed. I think I only tapped on it to open and see what it is, and it started its dirty work. It's by "Go Dev Team". There are a bunch of apps doing this, and most seem to have the word GO in there somewhere. Any of you Verizon users here have that one on your phone?

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Yes, it seemed highly rated and legit. Guess I have to be extra careful. I have Uninstalled it and will see what happens. I am giving Android a Chance. No choice really since my preferred platform is dying and they themselves are moving to Android.

I have this phone (beautiful, by the way) set up to do most of what I did with my Blackberry. Some things are better, some worse. I was surprised and disappointed though to find out that this thing does not support Miracast. I used that a lot with my BlackBerry and assumed it would work on Android. Now I'm not sure of a way to mirror my phone to my TV's (wirelessly). What is nice about Miracast is that it was a direct WiFi connection - device to device - without needing to be on a network. And it worked anywhere just by plugging the dongle into an HDMI input of any TV anywhere. Have not found a way yet to do that with this phone. Guess that's for another thread.
I don't really think there is a real need to be extra careful tbh. I've been on android for 5 years or so and have never seen something like this before.

I'm pretty sure it would be against Google's policy, so its a bit weird a well received app would suddenly do something so extreme. Not sure what they're playin' at. :/

I'm not sure about the mirroring but I think they recently removed it so you could only do it wirelessly with a TV that supports it or something. Don't take my word for it though.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Thank you Sandra - Yes, that is the exact problem. I think I found the culprit. An App called Applock Pro. I'm quite sure it came pre-installed. I think I only tapped on it to open and see what it is, and it started its dirty work. It's by "Go Dev Team". There are a bunch of apps doing this, and most seem to have the word GO in there somewhere. Any of you Verizon users here have that one on your phone?
Not here on my VZW Note 7.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1