samsung pay

Arsenio Martins

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes the cashier has some input they need to do i.e. if it is credit or debit or to aknowledge they saw your id. I have found myself telling the cashier as i am pulling out my phone that i am using a debit card and almost everytime it works. I have had a 98% sucess rate. Home depot is the only place i have trouble, it did work fine but recently they did something that broke it. You can't even use pay pal even though it is on the pay terminal
I was going to say the same thing. I think it has to do with some terminals that ask, after you swipe, if it's debit or credit. So now I either tell the clerk debit at those locations or if it does ask afterwards I chose debit.

One mistake I made a while back... Apple nfc is located at the very top of the phone. So when I would pay I would point the phone, the top, at the nfc icon. With Samsung I would sometimes get errors. What I have started doing is laying the back middle of the phone on the nfc symbol or parallel to the card reader swipe mechanism. When using MST and holding the phone parallel for a sec if it doesn't seem to be doing anything I then slowly move it up and down as you would with a credit card.

Since doing this I haven't had that many problems. I've still had situations where I had to pull out the card, Lowe's for example, but it finally worked at Walmart.

Thisistip

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
I wonder what the difference is. I've only had it not work once and I'm pretty sure that was user error because it had worked at that store just a few days earlier.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Okay stupid question time. Is Samsung Pay on all phones? I don't see it on mine. (On Bell). I used to use the CIBC mobile pay app after Suretap was discontinued but it says it's incompatible now.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I've never got a card read error, but it doesn't always work. At the beginning it was me not knowing exactly how to use it, admittedly. Other times, it's the cashier not doing something. Most of the time it works very well now. I've used it some places I didn't think it would work, and it did.

Since you have to swipe up and wait to register your fingerprint, I wouldn't say it's faster than just pulling out your CC and swiping, but from my understanding it's more secure like the other payment systems. I also just like technology and it's cool to use it.

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
So how would you use it if the cashier takes the card/phone and swipes on their side? I assume in restaurants where they take the card away you can't unless you follow the person to the terminal.

I hate long lines, and even more people that make them longer. The people that would wait until everything is done before pulling out a checkbook use to drive me nuts. They would stand there filling it out only after its all done. The people that look surprised they needed to pay and then had to go searching for wallet or any means of paying. Those are the same people that take years to figure out what they wanted in the first place.

So I am careful not to try new things like nfc at the counter with long lines. I actually switched to my check card twice because the line at starbucks got long while I was waiting to pay. I have tried twice at starbucks. Both times had some sort of error. The worst being the first time. With the case and not knowing where to hold the phone. The second time I had the case off and phone where it needed to be but I think the cashier didnt do whatever they needed first, then I got a error, then it worked. This is of course with the swipe terminal on my side of the register.

I have free money on sampay so I will continue to use it. I also would like to share in the $5 promo so I will make sure I chit chat with a few people.

moc426

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It didn't work at starbucks in barnes and noble so I asked the cashier if she hit credit and she said oh no and when she did it worked then. She said their system doesn't accept it initially so she didn't think it would work.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I've had it work almost all places except Walmart & Home Depot. Apparently Walmart blocks it (see Walmart’s new mobile payment platform doesn’t play nice with others | Apple | Geek.com), although some people seem to be able to use it there - maybe some Walmarts have a different type of POS terminal where it does work - not sure why?

I also had it fail at a Barnes & Noble this weekend. It was at a Starbucks inside of B&N.

Once I know it doesn't work somewhere, I just don't try to use it there anymore.

edit...
I just saw this on a blog:

"When I insisted on trying Samsung Pay anyway, the cashier flagged down another Target employee who explained that Samsung Pay would work if, instead of holding the phone still over the terminal, the user made the same kind of swiping motion used with a regular mag-stripe card. The payment went through without a hitch, disproving my theory about chip-card readers not working with Samsung Pay."

I haven't tried a swiping motion" - I'll have to try this next time at Walmart, Home Depot or B&N.

daddyd302

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I had it on my S7E and got the $20 right away when I used it. I forgot where I used it since it was back in April/May. I ddin't have the right card so I borrowed my brother's card[Chase].

I used my own card[Chase] this time and went to Costco. I made a purchase and got the reward right away.

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
That's weird because Whole Foods uses NFC as they also accept Apple Pay. There's usually never an issue through NFC payment machines, only the ones that aren't NFC and you need to use MST.
I found it strange as well. I've used Apple pay there many times. The only thing I could think of is maybe the system didn't like that I was using the Samsung rewards card I was using to pay. It would ask for a pin, I would select credit and it would get denied. This happened twice. Worked like a charm at the other two stores though.

chrisforpm

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Okay stupid question time. Is Samsung Pay on all phones? I don't see it on mine. (On Bell). I used to use the CIBC mobile pay app after Suretap was discontinued but it says it's incompatible now.
It is not available in Canada as of yet. Samsung has stated it will be here sometime this year. I'm assuming that since the banks were so busy negotiating and setting up Apple Pay earlier this year, we won't see it until fall.

Sdn2995

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I've had it work almost all places except Walmart & Home Depot. Apparently Walmart blocks it (see Walmart’s new mobile payment platform doesn’t play nice with others | Apple | Geek.com), although some people seem to be able to use it there - maybe some Walmarts have a different type of POS terminal where it does work - not sure why?

I also had it fail at a Barnes & Noble this weekend. It was at a Starbucks inside of B&N.

Once I know it doesn't work somewhere, I just don't try to use it there anymore.

edit...
I just saw this on a blog:

"When I insisted on trying Samsung Pay anyway, the cashier flagged down another Target employee who explained that Samsung Pay would work if, instead of holding the phone still over the terminal, the user made the same kind of swiping motion used with a regular mag-stripe card. The payment went through without a hitch, disproving my theory about chip-card readers not working with Samsung Pay."

I haven't tried a swiping motion" - I'll have to try this next time at Walmart, Home Depot or B&N.
I will have to try this and update how it goes.

the block

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
So far I've found 1 location where Samsung pay is working. I've probably tried about 5, and it's starting to get embarrassing to the point I don't want to keep trying.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
So how would you use it if the cashier takes the card/phone and swipes on their side? I assume in restaurants where they take the card away you can't unless you follow the person to the terminal.

I hate long lines, and even more people that make them longer. The people that would wait until everything is done before pulling out a checkbook use to drive me nuts. They would stand there filling it out only after its all done. The people that look surprised they needed to pay and then had to go searching for wallet or any means of paying. Those are the same people that take years to figure out what they wanted in the first place.

So I am careful not to try new things like nfc at the counter with long lines. I actually switched to my check card twice because the line at starbucks got long while I was waiting to pay. I have tried twice at starbucks. Both times had some sort of error. The worst being the first time. With the case and not knowing where to hold the phone. The second time I had the case off and phone where it needed to be but I think the cashier didnt do whatever they needed first, then I got a error, then it worked. This is of course with the swipe terminal on my side of the register.

I have free money on sampay so I will continue to use it. I also would like to share in the $5 promo so I will make sure I chit chat with a few people.

I wouldn't want to give them my phone. I've heard that overseas, in Europe I believe; they have mobile payment systems that the waiter/waitress carries with them. You can pay right at your table. The U.S. is so far behind on this type of stuff. I know it can be done because I've seen it in a few places.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't want to give them my phone. I've heard that overseas, in Europe I believe; they have mobile payment systems that the waiter/waitress carries with them. You can pay right at your table. The U.S. is so far behind on this type of stuff. I know it can be done because I've seen it in a few places.

Yes, that's correct - they also use a more advanced type of "chip" card - they don't sign. Instead they use a PIN. So, when you pay at a restaurant with a chip-and-pin card, they bring a wireless device to your table and you insert the card (they never have control of your card, as restaurants do here in the US) and you enter your PIN code. Nothing is signed.

It also allows gas stations to be open 24 hrs a day without an attendant, since no signature is required.

You can get chip-and-pin cards in the US (I have one), but they are few and far between! Mine is from Barclay and it works here in the US with a signature and in Europe as either a chip-and-signature or chip-and-pin.

chrisforpm

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Yes, that's correct - they also use a more advanced type of "chip" card - they don't sign. Instead they use a PIN. So, when you pay at a restaurant with a chip-and-pin card, they bring a wireless device to your table and you insert the card (they never have control of your card, as restaurants do here in the US) and you enter your PIN code. Nothing is signed.

It also allows gas stations to be open 24 hrs a day without an attendant, since no signature is required.

You can get chip-and-pin cards in the US (I have one), but they are few and far between! Mine is from Barclay and it works here in the US with a signature and in Europe as either a chip-and-signature or chip-and-pin.
Exactly the way it works in Canada. Servers bring the machine to you and many are NFC/Tap enabled. Stores and fast food restaurants have the terminal mounted and facing the customer so they can use whatever method of payment without the store employee touching the card.

All machines here have been chip and PIN (or tap) enabled for many years. I don't think there are any old swipe machines left. If there are I haven't seen one in 4 or 5 years.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Exactly the way it works in Canada. Servers bring the machine to you and many are NFC/Tap enabled. Stores and fast food restaurants have the terminal mounted and facing the customer so they can use whatever method of payment without the store employee touching the card.

All machines here have been chip and PIN (or tap) enabled for many years. I don't think there are any old swipe machines left. If there are I haven't seen one in 4 or 5 years.

It's amazing to me - we sell online and some customers still don't want to enter their credit card info on-line, so the call and feel more comfortable giving it to us over the phone. The WORST thing anyone can do with a credit card is give your info over the phone or hand your card to somebody. Portable card readers make SO much more sense, as does chip-and-pin, but US credit card companies, for some unknown reason, declined to go the chip-and-pin route.

Samsung pay is the next-best-thing, as (I believe) it uses a one-time credit card number for each transaction, and keeps you in control.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Now that I know how to use Samsung Pay (open the app first) I used it at a Kroger grocery store and WOW was it fast. Much faster than Android Pay ever was.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
So far I've found 1 location where Samsung pay is working. I've probably tried about 5, and it's starting to get embarrassing to the point I don't want to keep trying.

This is the problem. Either it works and I can rely on it, or I am just going to use my credit card. If it works 4/5 times, that means it still fails 20% of the time and debit card works 100% of the time.

Say it works 9/10 times... What am I going to do, roll the dice and take a 10% chance I have to tell the cashier to put everything back because I don't have my wallet?

Don't get me wrong, this is the best phone I've ever seen. I have used NFC payments for 5 years now. I just accepted at first that I was an early adopter. I want it to become the standard. Now it's time for it to work or I'm done with it.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Actually... There is one place it has worked 100% of the time for me besides McDonald's. The vending machines at work. Such a life saver at midnight.

climb

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site

Should be pre-loaded on your phone - if not you can download it from the play store - it may be on the Samsung apps icon as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21