08-30-2016 10:40 PM
51 123
tools
    I quit using android pay a while back because the results were inconsistent and i don't like holding up a line so I can try a gadget.

So now i have Samsung pay. Supposed to work with any terminal. Sweet. I set it up, go to my local convenient store and... card read error.

I swear, when is this going to get sorted out... I love this phone. Was really looking forward to using my phone most of the time to pay. What a shame. If it doesn't work consistently, I'm just not going to use it.
    08-28-2016 08:23 PM
    I see that once in a while but overall it works great. I find you need to touch the device at the top part of the credit card "slider." I also found removing the case helps a lot (a real PITA) in places where it is flaky.

I agree though, until and unless EVERY STORE accepts it it's nothing but a novelty because if you still have to take out your plastic card at various places it defeats the purpose other than for the "cool factor."

My favorite one is whenever I go to Wegman's supermarket it works fine but the entire credit card display switches to Spanish so I need a translator!
    08-28-2016 08:36 PM
    Samsung pay works at most but not all terminals. I have run into only a few places where it did not work. Where it does work it does so quickly and still amazes some ckerks.
    08-28-2016 08:38 PM
    I'm a sucker for technology. If I haven't given up on it by now and i've been using n f c payments since the samsung galaxy nexus, i'm sure I'll keep standing there like an ***** trying to make payments with the phone.

It's funny, the only place that I know 100% for sure that my payment will never be denied is McDonald's, and that's the place that I like to eat the least
    msokad and SteelGator like this.
    08-28-2016 09:01 PM
    I'm a sucker for technology. If I haven't given up on it by now and i've been using n f c payments since the samsung galaxy nexus, i'm sure I'll keep standing there like an ***** trying to make payments with the phone.

It's funny, the only place that I know 100% for sure that my payment will never be denied is McDonald's, and that's the place that I like to eat the least
    I have not had any problems at all. It works everywhere for me.
    08-28-2016 09:03 PM
    I can't get it to work at Walmart
    08-28-2016 09:07 PM
    Worked yesterday for me at Walmart.
    08-28-2016 09:07 PM
    It's worked everywhere I've tried so far.
    08-28-2016 09:09 PM
    It works just fine for me. If you get the card read error, just try again and it will work.
    08-28-2016 09:11 PM
    I used it today at Red Robin (at the kiosk on the table) then went to Barnes & Noble...I took out my phone, the kid behind the counter said "Oh, no we don't take Apple pay"...I said, yeah - it's not Apple pay. It went through and he said "Oh, cool!" My kids really think its neat.
    08-28-2016 09:18 PM
    I've had that card error message come up and interestingly it still worked. I think at either Best Buy or Target.
    traynor1987 likes this.
    08-28-2016 09:59 PM
    Originally Posted by bluegrizzlies1<br />
    <br />
    Worked yesterday for me at Walmart.

How did u use it does the cashier do anything before you scan the phone?
    08-28-2016 10:01 PM
    I wish the Home Depot would be involved more to accept newer and more secure technology as SamPay is. There is always tricks and it worked 2x out of like 20...
    08-28-2016 10:10 PM
    The other benefit is the virtual card number. Your actual cc number is not being transmitted since a virtual number is created. This adds an additional layer of security in the event of a breach or hack.
    Sdn2995 likes this.
    08-28-2016 10:16 PM
    I wish the Home Depot would be involved more to accept newer and more secure technology as SamPay is. There is always tricks and it worked 2x out of like 20...
    I use PayPal at home depot. Super easy, no wallet or phone required. And you can have the items in your cart online and have them waiting for you at the front desk.

Off topic I know, but awesome none the less.
    cwbcpa and G6400 like this.
    08-28-2016 10:59 PM
    Sometimes the cashier has some input they need to do i.e. if it is credit or debit or to aknowledge they saw your id. I have found myself telling the cashier as i am pulling out my phone that i am using a debit card and almost everytime it works. I have had a 98% sucess rate. Home depot is the only place i have trouble, it did work fine but recently they did something that broke it. You can't even use pay pal even though it is on the pay terminal
    08-28-2016 11:02 PM
    Samsung pay is awesome..it works 9 outta 10 places for me..enough that i dont even worry bout it failing.
    08-28-2016 11:36 PM
    I haven't had any problems. I've used it at Subway, Wal-mart, Best Buy, Albertsons, Lowes, 99 cent store, and Michael's just to name a few.
    08-28-2016 11:49 PM
    Samsung pay worked for me at best buy and Walgreens. Not much luck at whole foods. Their system kept denying the payment.
    08-29-2016 12:33 AM
    Samsung pay worked for me at best buy and Walgreens. Not much luck at whole foods. Their system kept denying the payment.
    That's weird because Whole Foods uses NFC as they also accept Apple Pay. There's usually never an issue through NFC payment machines, only the ones that aren't NFC and you need to use MST.
    08-29-2016 04:20 AM
    Sometimes the cashier has some input they need to do i.e. if it is credit or debit or to aknowledge they saw your id. I have found myself telling the cashier as i am pulling out my phone that i am using a debit card and almost everytime it works. I have had a 98% sucess rate. Home depot is the only place i have trouble, it did work fine but recently they did something that broke it. You can't even use pay pal even though it is on the pay terminal
    I was going to say the same thing. I think it has to do with some terminals that ask, after you swipe, if it's debit or credit. So now I either tell the clerk debit at those locations or if it does ask afterwards I chose debit.

One mistake I made a while back... Apple nfc is located at the very top of the phone. So when I would pay I would point the phone, the top, at the nfc icon. With Samsung I would sometimes get errors. What I have started doing is laying the back middle of the phone on the nfc symbol or parallel to the card reader swipe mechanism. When using MST and holding the phone parallel for a sec if it doesn't seem to be doing anything I then slowly move it up and down as you would with a credit card.

Since doing this I haven't had that many problems. I've still had situations where I had to pull out the card, Lowe's for example, but it finally worked at Walmart.
    08-29-2016 04:47 AM
    I wonder what the difference is. I've only had it not work once and I'm pretty sure that was user error because it had worked at that store just a few days earlier.
    08-29-2016 05:15 AM
    Okay stupid question time. Is Samsung Pay on all phones? I don't see it on mine. (On Bell). I used to use the CIBC mobile pay app after Suretap was discontinued but it says it's incompatible now.
    08-29-2016 07:33 AM
    I've never got a card read error, but it doesn't always work. At the beginning it was me not knowing exactly how to use it, admittedly. Other times, it's the cashier not doing something. Most of the time it works very well now. I've used it some places I didn't think it would work, and it did.

Since you have to swipe up and wait to register your fingerprint, I wouldn't say it's faster than just pulling out your CC and swiping, but from my understanding it's more secure like the other payment systems. I also just like technology and it's cool to use it.
    08-29-2016 07:44 AM
    So how would you use it if the cashier takes the card/phone and swipes on their side? I assume in restaurants where they take the card away you can't unless you follow the person to the terminal.

I hate long lines, and even more people that make them longer. The people that would wait until everything is done before pulling out a checkbook use to drive me nuts. They would stand there filling it out only after its all done. The people that look surprised they needed to pay and then had to go searching for wallet or any means of paying. Those are the same people that take years to figure out what they wanted in the first place.

So I am careful not to try new things like nfc at the counter with long lines. I actually switched to my check card twice because the line at starbucks got long while I was waiting to pay. I have tried twice at starbucks. Both times had some sort of error. The worst being the first time. With the case and not knowing where to hold the phone. The second time I had the case off and phone where it needed to be but I think the cashier didnt do whatever they needed first, then I got a error, then it worked. This is of course with the swipe terminal on my side of the register.

I have free money on sampay so I will continue to use it. I also would like to share in the $5 promo so I will make sure I chit chat with a few people.
    08-29-2016 08:42 AM
51 123