10-09-2016 03:39 AM
43 12
tools
    C to C is fine for the Note 7 with a C charger. Right now the Note 7 can't use Quick Charge 3, I don't know if a software update can allow it to use it or not at a later time. But you can charge the Note 7 with a QC 3 charger.

One reason for a C to C cord is if you have a dual charge car charger and someone else that only has a cord that plugs into an A USB. Many of the dual ports have a C plug and an A plug.

Samsung was nice to include a charging block that uses an A to C cord and include adapters. Some of the manufacturers that went to C cords did not do that and people had to spend a lot of money replacing car chargers and extra cords at home.
    08-29-2016 04:31 PM
    I watched that video hoping something blew up on the guys desk, what a let down.
    08-29-2016 04:49 PM

I bought the adapters and they will charge the phone but wouldn't work with transferring data to/from my PC. They are issuing me a refund. I also bought the cable. Haven't used it yet, but sent an email to ask if it was part of the recall. Yeesh!
    08-29-2016 04:52 PM
    Anker phone # bottom right.
    https://www.anker.com/support

Qualcomm Quick Charge Devices.
    https://www.qualcomm.com/products/sn...n/quick-charge
    08-29-2016 05:21 PM
    I was just looking at cables at lunch. It looks like Google engineer Benson Leung has reviewed a lot of cables and giving his "blessing" on ones that passed his tests.
    Not sure how much faith you put into this. But, I remember hearing his name when this USB type C cable discussion was going on a few months ago.
    08-29-2016 05:23 PM
    I bought the adapters and they will charge the phone but wouldn't work with transferring data to/from my PC. They are issuing me a refund. I also bought the cable. Haven't used it yet, but sent an email to ask if it was part of the recall. Yeesh!
    Same.
    I am returning them to Anker.
    They charge perfectly, but can't transfer data.
    -bk
    08-29-2016 05:24 PM
    I was just looking at cables at lunch. It looks like Google engineer Benson Leung has reviewed a lot of cables and giving his "blessing" on ones that passed his tests.
    Not sure how much faith you put into this. But, I remember hearing his name when this USB type C cable discussion was going on a few months ago.
    Benny approved us the best you can hope for outside of authentic Samsung cables
    08-29-2016 07:21 PM
    I'm confused. Is it one cable or all cables Anker sold of the usb c variety? I can't find anything from anker about the refund on their site or twitter? how do I tell if I have a bad cable? Also why are people talking about Anker's car chargers? Are those bad too?
    08-29-2016 09:33 PM
    You can count on his approvals.
    08-30-2016 02:50 AM
    I'm confused. Is it one cable or all cables Anker sold of the usb c variety? I can't find anything from anker about the refund on their site or twitter? how do I tell if I have a bad cable? Also why are people talking about Anker's car chargers? Are those bad too?
    I believe it was only one model of C cables, not all.. But that is from memory.

I'm not sure why people are worried about the car chargers, those aren't an issue.
    08-30-2016 08:43 AM
    I've read Benson's plus Nathan's post on this.

Anker usually makes compliant cables for the most part, but this one is one of the wildly different ones for some reason.

I agree with Nathan that Anker should have tested these more thoroughly to ensure that they meet USB-C standards plus certifications (seriously, plugging a cable that is still outputting 20V into a phone that accepts up to 5V is a recipe for disaster). However, I'll still give Anker some kudos for at least doing the right thing after Benson notified them of the flaw, and that is, stop selling those cables and giving affected customers a new cable and (at least from the email Benson attached to his G+ post), a refund.

Cable makers and OEMs probably need some more time to study USB-C in detail. It's more than just a microUSB port with a different shape. USB-C is a more intelligent port compared to microUSB. In the meantime, I would suggest following Benson's Google+ page along with Nathan's. They do provide some useful advice on USB-C and also have some cable recommendations.

Benson's Google+: https://plus.google.com/+BensonLeung/posts
    Nathan's Google+: https://plus.google.com/102612254593917101378/posts
    08-30-2016 09:37 AM
    I bought cc-y1.
    Hope it's ok.
    Haven't use it.
    08-31-2016 12:44 PM
    I bought these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...cUvbUpU5381668

Am I safe? I know they're not Anker, but now I'm worried...
    08-31-2016 12:49 PM
    I bought these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...cUvbUpU5381871

Am I safe? I know they're not Anker, but now I'm worried...
    If it is Benny approved then I would not worry. If not.. Then I would pass
    08-31-2016 02:05 PM
    If it is Benny approved then I would not worry. If not.. Then I would pass
    I have no idea what "Benny approved" means. Can you elaborate? Or better yet, tell me if the link I posted is approved?
    08-31-2016 06:14 PM
    I have no idea what "Benny approved" means. Can you elaborate? Or better yet, tell me if the link I posted is approved?
    Benson (Benny) mentioned a few posts before yours. I checked the link and aukey said that it has been verified compliant by Benny
    08-31-2016 06:33 PM
    Trying to source my first USB type C cable for my ordered Moto Z play.

I'm struggling to find any of Bensons approved cables on Amazon UK.

Can any UK members help with safe USB A cables I can plug into my existing chargers and car charger with out damaging them, or more importantly, my new Z Play?
    10-09-2016 03:31 AM
    Can anyone help me find a safe USB A to USB cable which is deemed safe?

I can't find any of the cables Benson has tested on Amazon UK.

I've ordered some of the Anker Micro USB adapters which he does list as safe, but none of the other cables appear to be available from Amazon in the UK.

I'm not keen on damaging any existing chargers I have, my car charger (Belkin), laptop or most importantly my Ordered Moto Z play when it arrives.

I assume unless I'm using a USB A 3.x port I have to use a USB A 2.0 cable or it will try to pull too much voltage damaging the power source?
    10-09-2016 03:39 AM
43 12