Anker issues recall and replacements after researcher demonstrates unsafe USB-C cables!

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Why are they unsafe?
If you plug it into a device that requires more power it will power that device... And if you then plug it into another device that requires less power it will deliver the same high power that the previous device needed and you will destroy the components in the device that doesn't require and cannot handle that power

traynor1987

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
You can only buy that specific model in America and Amazon stopped selling it already so I think you will be ok, just buy the usb a to use c one as that one is safe :)

audri5

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I have a USB c that I am using in my car. I don't intend to use it in any other way. It charges the phone while in the mount. Would it be safe since I don't intend to use it for anything else?

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I could be wrong (I'm no expert!), but in researching USB-C cables, I found that some contain a 56k ohm resistor in them, and, apparently, the purpose of this resistance is to prevent a power supply from supplying more power than the phone/computer is asking for.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm...I bought a 2 pack of the adapters. I'll be on the lookout for posted issues. I thought Anker was reliable.
They are pretty good. Not perfect but also... The only one that I know of to do a recall even though numerous other usb c cables have not met usb c spec.

If you buy a third usb c cable, make sure it is Benny approved.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I have a USB c that I am using in my car. I don't intend to use it in any other way. It charges the phone while in the mount. Would it be safe since I don't intend to use it for anything else?
That should be fine, but they we replace I'd you have one of the cables.

The problem comes from using different devices with the cord.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I checked my car charger and it is an Aukey not Anker! So I am okay!
d4346b9d77e0419213aba8ac1724ace8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007