08-30-2016 12:16 PM
28 12
tools
    Google Voice has allowed me to send texts, make and receive calls and block callers since the day it came out. Unfortunately, Google can't get their act together and has mutilated Google Voice to the point where I am ready to just give up on it. The question now is "Do I continue to wait for Google to rectify the situation (e.g. Allo), or should I port my Voice number to something else?"
    08-30-2016 09:11 AM
    Google Voice has allowed me to send texts, make and receive calls and block callers since the day it came out. Unfortunately, Google can't get their act together and has mutilated Google Voice to the point where I am ready to just give up on it. The question now is "Do I continue to wait for Google to rectify the situation (e.g. Allo), or should I port my Voice number to something else?"
    A very good question...and since you brought up Allo I feel compelled to include Duo...I love that they are cross platform and apparently dead easy, which Android DESPERATELY needs this type of option if we have any hope of pulling in our iFriends. But count me in with others out there that are saying we want/need a desktop client...AND availability on a non-phone number device (i.e. wifi only iPad). I am sorry I won't be able to say WHO in these forums, but someone has posted a scenario where his daughter has an iPad and loves to iMessage with her friends. She's still young enough that a phone is not in her cards...but her dad is perfectly fine with her messaging via her iPad on wifi. Well she can't do anything with Duo and I'm guessing the same will be true of Allo when it comes out.

I recently had a video job interview and my two choices for doing said interview were FaceTime and Skype. I've never used either if you can believe that, despite having an iPad for years (and a Mac)...and I ended up using FaceTime because it was easy compared to Skype (not that Skype is that hard...but FaceTime "just works").

I digress...AGAIN. Sorry...I just don't know why it has to be so hard to get a cross platform AND cross carrier advanced messaging app (and video app).
    08-30-2016 11:00 AM
    I just don't know why it has to be so hard to get a cross platform AND cross carrier advanced messaging app (and video app).
    I think the reason it's so hard is because you need to tie these apps to an account. And your account can be an email address, phone number or some other type of unique identifier. I thought Hangouts got it right after they accepted phone numbers (including Google Voice numbers) for for SMS messaging. Since Hangouts originally was tied to your Gmail account, the addition of a phone number and/or Google Voice number, allowed Hangouts to span across multiple account types.

Unfortunately, Hangouts went downhill in the past year or so when they removed merged conversations and when device manufacturers began customizing features without Hangouts in mind.
    08-30-2016 12:16 PM
28 12