Is it really worth the price increase?

Krystie L

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm debating whether I want to buy the Note 7. Since I typically purchase outright, I'm curious if the Note 7 is worth the price increase they've given it, or if I should just look at the S7 instead. I use my phone mainly for texting, social media, web browsing, light games (Candy Crush) but the big thing is the camera. Any thoughts on this? What exactly have the done to the phone to justify the hike?

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Larger battery, the S Pen, better in-hand feel, Coral Blue (if you like that color), Iris scanner (for times you can't use the fingerprint sensor like wearing gloves, etc.), higher base storage, free 256GB SD card if you buy it relatively soon, improved software experience, and Edge functionality (if you use those type of things).

Krystie L

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Larger battery, the S Pen, better in-hand feel, Coral Blue (if you like that color), Iris scanner (for times you can't use the fingerprint sensor like wearing gloves, etc.), higher base storage, free 256GB SD card if you buy it relatively soon, improved software experience, and Edge functionality (if you use those type of things).

I can count on one hand the times I've used the S Pen in the last 6 months. Don't like the Edge. Since I put a case on it, there goes the color and the feel. So pretty much just the iris scanner and the software. Since those things typically came with a regular upgrade over the years (ie: the fingerprint scanner) I still dont see the justification. :( This makes me sad, because I was really looking forward to an upgrade.

Krystie L

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Sorry it turned out to not be for you, but I'm curious, how have you used it for 6 months when it was released less than two weeks ago? You said you're debating about whether to buy it but then said you have put a case on it so that you can't use the edge features. I'm just confused and not able to help you until I know what your status is as an owner or would be owner.

I currently have the Note 4. And I've had the Note 2 and the Original Note. I never used the S Pen, and they've all had it. I was set to get the 5, but when I read the rave reviews on what a beast the 7 was going to be, I decided to wait. I guess I'm just disappointed, I could have traded in my current POS (refurb through insurance after mine was stolen. I know why it's a refurb, they didn't fix it) a bit earlier and gone with the 5.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Since you mention camera is major need then save your money and go with S7 since they all have the same camera and texting, social and browsing is your general use and you show no real interest in the S-pen. Smaller battery wont be too bad since the S7 has a smaller screen to power over the Note.

If you really did want the bigger battery and bigger screen then you still save money with S7 edge. Yes you said you didn't like edge but if you were considering the Note 7 which has edge then tossing the 7 Edge as a suggestion because you still have money over the Note and it has a bigger battery over the Note.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I can count on one hand the times I've used the S Pen in the last 6 months. Don't like the Edge. Since I put a case on it, there goes the color and the feel. So pretty much just the iris scanner and the software. Since those things typically came with a regular upgrade over the years (ie: the fingerprint scanner) I still dont see the justification. :( This makes me sad, because I was really looking forward to an upgrade.

We've kind of hit "peak smartphone" at this point. No phone is going to be such a massive improvement over the other unless you've waited 2 years to upgrade. All things being equal, though, the Note 7 is the best in the business.

Krystie L

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I think I'll do a little more comparison between the 5 and the S7 Edge, then make my choice. At least now I know if I'd gone for the 5 and had missed a major overhaul, I woulnd't be upset. Lol.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm debating whether I want to buy the Note 7. Since I typically purchase outright, I'm curious if the Note 7 is worth the price increase they've given it, or if I should just look at the S7 instead. I use my phone mainly for texting, social media, web browsing, light games (Candy Crush) but the big thing is the camera. Any thoughts on this? What exactly have the done to the phone to justify the hike?
For the purposes you have described there's no reason to buy the Note 7.

jerrycau123

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I am very surprised that you haven't used the spen.. Amazing feature!.
I have owned the note 4,5 and now the Best Note of all ..Note 7!
I use the spen on a regular basis..
You should give the spen a chance, If not, this is your loss!

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Sounds like you should get the s7 or s7 edge. There is no significant reason to get the note other than the stylus. If you're not using it then you should probably get the s7 edge, which has better battery life and is a bit cheaper.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, the only reason I went with the Note 7 was the edge was a lot more subtle than the S7 edge.

S pen is mighty useful, but that's not a reason to buy the phone over the S7 IMO. I just wanted something that had a large screen without having to deal with the edges.

Iris scanning is neat, but I haven't had to appreciate it yet. We shall see come winter.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you should get the s7 or s7 edge. There is no significant reason to get the note other than the stylus. If you're not using it then you should probably get the s7 edge, which has better battery life and is a bit cheaper.

I agree with this suggestion. I would hesitate on the Note 5 a little, if only because of the OS support cycle. If you are going to keep the phone for 2 years, you may find yourself with waning software support for the last year.

I came from the Note 4, and I find the Note 7 to be a sizable upgrade. I too considered the S7 & S7E, but did not like the smaller screen, can use the extra memeory, and I am an occasional user of the Spen. For my plan, the S7E and N7 were the same price, so it was an easier decision for me.

That said, the functions you are trying to accomplish on your phone can be handled easily by nearly any decent 2015+ smart phone, so it becomes a matter of preference.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would say an s7 would be fine for you. Between now and bf, I would expect that the s7 be priced free on service contract or significantly discounted on finance contract. Just keep your eyes out for deals

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I think I'll do a little more comparison between the 5 and the S7 Edge, then make my choice. At least now I know if I'd gone for the 5 and had missed a major overhaul, I woulnd't be upset. Lol.
If you don't use the spen, I would go with the S7. I still have my Note 5 and it is great, but the spen is a necessity for me.

If I didn't need the spen, I would go with the S7 over the Note 5 or Note 7.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
What is it that appeals to you about the note line so that you would keep buying it even though you know you don't use the pen?
A lot if people bought it because it was the large screen line. With Samsung, the S6 Plus changed that. If you want Samsung now you don't have to buy the Note to had a large screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith