04-22-2017 04:16 PM
128 1234 ...
tools
    Nope, it streams in HD if the content is HD and the sound is stable as long as your internet signal is stable.
    Where does internet come from?
    08-29-2016 03:07 PM
    recDNA: I physically unplugged my modem from power while playing with the streamer dongle. It was using my Verizon LTE data for Netflix and YouTube. I think the wifi direct connection is device to device...I'm not sure if it involved using the LTE connection or not. But absolutely I was not using my Comcast internet connection in any way, shape or form. It was all data through my phone.

With the Roku, Fire Stick and Chromecast...I believe they can all be used AFTER an initial set up with a dedicated internet connection NOT on your phone. But you don't need this. You definitely need what myself or msndrstood uses...or I think the other dongle in the beginning of this thread would work as well.
    08-29-2016 03:27 PM
    recDNA: I physically unplugged my modem from power while playing with the streamer dongle. It was using my Verizon LTE data for Netflix and YouTube. I think the wifi direct connection is device to device...I'm not sure if it involved using the LTE connection or not. But absolutely I was not using my Comcast internet connection in any way, shape or form. It was all data through my phone.

With the Roku, Fire Stick and Chromecast...I believe they can all be used AFTER an initial set up with a dedicated internet connection NOT on your phone. But you don't need this. You definitely need what myself or msndrstood uses...or I think the other dongle in the beginning of this thread would work as well.
    Well yours is like mine. Works fine gets hot. I may return mine for allshare hub to avoid the heat. If you get the chance would you check with extender to see if hdmi plug still gets hot (u have to unplug it to feel HOW hot) ? If hdmi extender keeps it cool I will add one to my microsoft adapter. It works great except for the heat. I could imagine the plastic in the hdmi of tv actually melting!
    08-29-2016 03:35 PM
    I ran a google search and many users of my device complain about heat and eventually screen freezes. Apparently true even with extender which is hard to understand. I'm going to try AllShare hub and return Microsoft miracast device.
    08-29-2016 03:48 PM
    Just got done with doing that...and the extender does NOT get hot. I unplugged it and felt it with my fingers to be sure. But the dongle still does get very hot.

I noticed when streaming Friends via Netflix, the lips/sound sync was definitely off on my phone screen, but on the t.v. it was pretty close. Definitely slightly off but not enough to be distracting. In fact not sure I would have noticed it if you hadn't commented on it (so I was on the lookout).

I'm not gonna lie...I still think the phone screen looked WAY better...but the quality was definitely acceptable to me. I don't think I'd want it to be my primary way to watch all the time, but considering my friend has no cable or internet this will more than suffice in a pinch to be able to watch some decent content rather than just what the HD TV antenna pulls in from the airwaves.

Please post back here on what happens with your set up. The fact that the hub doesn't get hot IS making me think it is a better way to go. I don't like how hot this dongle gets!
    08-29-2016 04:07 PM
    I don't care if the dongle toasts itself as long as it doesn't set my house on fire. I wonder if 1 amp connection was too much. TV also has .5 amp usb port maybe that works without so much heat. I will test the All Share for heat and return the hotter one.
    08-29-2016 04:12 PM
    I used the only USB port I have on the tv and am not sure what amp it is. I haven't tried the dongle at all using the wall plug. But if the device getting too hot causes stutters and what-not, then that's a valid reason to avoid it. In other words, it might not burn down the house or toast your tv but if it gets so hot it malfunctions then that's no good, either. I just haven't used it long enough to figure that out, but I'm not seeing a lot of posts indicating it's a problem.
    08-29-2016 04:35 PM
    I used the only USB port I have on the tv and am not sure what amp it is. I haven't tried the dongle at all using the wall plug. But if the device getting too hot causes stutters and what-not, then that's a valid reason to avoid it. In other words, it might not burn down the house or toast your tv but if it gets so hot it malfunctions then that's no good, either. I just haven't used it long enough to figure that out, but I'm not seeing a lot of posts indicating it's a problem.
    My tv has 2 usb ports. One is 0.5 amps the other is one amp
    08-29-2016 04:58 PM
    The AllCast hub and your phone create a wifi network between the two devices, nothing else. You'll notice the wifi turns on when you initiate the Smart View on your phone. The data is coming from your phone. The hub that I have does not get hot when I use it, even for extended periods of time. I have the USB power source plugged into my TV. The hub itself needs very little power, there is no battery involved, it just needs juice to stay on. The other line out on the hub is the HDMI, which of course, is plugged into my non smart TV that has no internet access. The wifi that is mentioned is the wifi connecting the phone to the hub itself, my wifi is physically OFF.
    08-29-2016 07:04 PM
    The AllCast hub and your phone create a wifi network between the two devices, nothing else. You'll notice the wifi turns on when you initiate the Smart View on your phone. The data is coming from your phone. The hub that I have does not get hot when I use it, even for extended periods of time. I have the USB power source plugged into my TV. The hub itself needs very little power, there is no battery involved, it just needs juice to stay on. The other line out on the hub is the HDMI, which of course, is plugged into my non smart TV that has no internet access. The wifi that is mentioned is the wifi connecting the phone to the hub itself, my wifi is physically OFF.
    Thanks. I understand now. For some reason the hdmi metal plug from mine gets very hot. Dangerously hot imo. Had I held it long enough it would have burned me. Feeling it from outside barely warm but feeling the hdmi metal right after unplugging I could feel how hot it is. Definitely will check All Share hub to see if it is safer. I hope they carry it at Best Buy. I don't want to wait for it to come in the mail.
    08-29-2016 07:14 PM
    Thanks. I understand now. For some reason the hdmi metal plug from mine gets very hot. Dangerously hot imo. Had I held it long enough it would have burned me. Feeling it from outside barely warm but feeling the hdmi metal right after unplugging I could feel how hot it is. Definitely will check All Share hub to see if it is safer. I hope they carry it at Best Buy. I don't want to wait for it to come in the mail.
    I couldn't find it at best buy, I got it in 2 days with Amazon Prime.
    08-29-2016 07:37 PM
    I couldn't find it at best buy, I got it in 2 days with Amazon Prime.
    Oh darn. Well you saved me a trip. Thanks.

Reviews on Amazon were less than stellar. One remarked his didn't work but seller wouldn't take it back. Sounds like you were fortunate to get such good results. Terrible shame Samsung eliminated MHL. Connecting by wire is much easier and more stable.
    08-29-2016 07:38 PM
    I learned a while ago not to trust reviews. Get one from a dealer with good ratings and try it yourself. It's very simple to use. I think you'll like it. ๐Ÿ˜Š
    recDNA likes this.
    08-29-2016 07:58 PM
    I undersold the Microsoft adapter picture quality. Maybe bad in store due to multiple adapters in one place. The picture is perfect 1080p however the lips are ever so slightly off from the sound. Not like an old dubbed foreign film but ever so slightly off. It is on the phone too. I don't know if smartview itself throws the phone off. I will have to watch the phone without the tv to see if sound syncs better.

The dongle and metal hdmi plug do get extremely hot. I wonder if a short hdmi extender cable would help?
    I have these Microsoft Display Adapters and have been unable to connect. Can you tell me how? For me, they see each other, and try to connect, and my TV flashes a few times, but it always fails.
    08-29-2016 10:10 PM
    I have these Microsoft Display Adapters and have been unable to connect. Can you tell me how?
    Yes. Plug adapter into usb for power and other end into hdmi in on tv. Now go to Note 7 and pull down menu all the way (2 fingers on home screen). Now toggle on smart view. It will show connector after a few seconds. Click on it. Now phone should be mirrored on tv
    Beware it only feels warm on the outside but the hdmi plug itself gets very very hot.
    08-29-2016 10:17 PM
    Download FoxFi app, it let's you use tethering from your phone for free. Turn on your Note 3 and turn on your WiFi so you can connect to FoxFi. Once connect you can just continue using your hdmi adaptor or whatever you were using for your Note 3.....Just make sure you add a password to FoxFi once everything is working so no one else can get on for free
    08-30-2016 04:59 PM
    not allowed. I have unlimited data. don't want to give vzw an excuse to take it away. thanks though. that would have worked well.

Heck, with wifi hotspot I could connect the tv to the note 7 and watched netflix from the tv app version.

i could have turned note 3 back on for the night then turned note 7 back on in the morning but there should be a way to connect this phone directly so I want to find it.
    08-30-2016 05:02 PM
    I learned a while ago not to trust reviews. Get one from a dealer with good ratings and try it yourself. It's very simple to use. I think you'll like it. ๐Ÿ˜Š
    I agree. Especially in the last 6 months now with all the discounted product or free product reviews out there. But I too have seen poor reviews only to find myself very happy with the product. Often times if it's tech related there is a HIGH likelihood of user error and thus a negative review.
    08-30-2016 05:12 PM
    I'm not sure if this along with a type C to HDMI would work or not. I ordered a port expander that include 4 USB ports and one HDMI so will try it out later this week. The app say it works with displaylink devices. So who knows. It would solve the problem of trying to use 4g and Wi-Fi at the same time.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...link.presenter
    08-30-2016 05:17 PM
    Wonder if any of these adapters would work https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...cUvbUpU5379766
    08-30-2016 05:28 PM
    I'm not sure if this along with a type C to HDMI would work or not. I ordered a port expander that include 4 USB ports and one HDMI so will try it out later this week. The app say it works with displaylink devices. So who knows. It would solve the problem of trying to use 4g and Wi-Fi at the same time.

Thanks but according tonsome very knowledgeable members here I know Samsung has intentionally disabled wired hdmi capabilities. Normally they are part of usb c but not on sammy phones.
    08-30-2016 05:30 PM
    Thanks but according tonsome very knowledgeable members here I know Samsung has intentionally disabled wired hdmi capabilities. Normally they are part of usb c but not on sammy phones.
    There is a big difference between USB 2 with HML support and USB type C. The older version had additional pins for HDMI as well as software support. They removed the hardware portion in the Note 5 for example. If the software support is removed but Type C support can be restored with the Displaylink app, then we may have a solution.
    Since I'm getting one in, I will post lost my success or failure here.

I do know that the Sammy guy at BB said he tried one of the USB C to HDMI adapters and it did not work, he did not try it with an app like Displaylink.

08-30-2016 05:48 PM
    There is a big difference between USB 2 with HML support and USB type C. The older version had additional pins for HDMI as well as software support. They removed the hardware portion in the Note 5 for example. If the software support is removed but Type C support can be restored with the Displaylink app, then we may have a solution.
    Since I'm getting one in, I will post lost my success or failure here.

I do know that the Sammy guy at BB said he tried one of the USB C to HDMI adapters and it did not work, he did not try it with an app like Displaylink.

I wish you luck and please let us know either way. It would be my best solution.
    08-30-2016 06:28 PM
    Yes. Plug adapter into usb for power and other end into hdmi in on tv. Now go to Note 7 and pull down menu all the way (2 fingers on home screen). Now toggle on smart view. It will show connector after a few seconds. Click on it. Now phone should be mirrored on tv
    Beware it only feels warm on the outside but the hdmi plug itself gets very very hot.
    Right, I tried that, but fails to connect every time.
    I have two of them and same thing happens on both. They see each other and the TV flashes as they try to connect but always fails. My old phone works with them with no problem.

I wonder if it is yet another crippling by Verizon - like the lack of 60fps option on YouTube.
    08-30-2016 07:37 PM
    try not only shutting off wifi on phone but forget your home wifi pw. Even if you shut off wifi on phone it turns on again when u pick smart view. It then automatically connects to home wifi. The dongle makes its own wifi so home wifi interferes with connection to it. You could also turn off wireless router at home.
    08-30-2016 08:03 PM
128 1234 ...