Screen Cast Without Wifi?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I undersold the Microsoft adapter picture quality. Maybe bad in store due to multiple adapters in one place. The picture is perfect 1080p however the lips are ever so slightly off from the sound. Not like an old dubbed foreign film but ever so slightly off. It is on the phone too. I don't know if smartview itself throws the phone off. I will have to watch the phone without the tv to see if sound syncs better.

The dongle and metal hdmi plug do get extremely hot. I wonder if a short hdmi extender cable would help?

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
RecDNA: Funny you should mention an HDMI extender...I just played around some more with my streamer dongle...I had the dongle directly plugged into the port on the t.v. and OUCH definitely hot and I would be afraid to run that thing very long. I have a short cord (about 6 inches) as well as a flexible extender (i.e. maybe 2 inches long that can bend)...I think going forward I would definitely use one or the other of these rather than plugging directly into the HDMI port. Anyway, I turned off my modem and played around with it and like msndrstood described I just changed to the proper HDMI port with the remote (input) and then on my phone pulled down the quick settings shade to turn on the SmartView. I was then able to stream movie...and the same one that the sound cut out at my friend's house, worked just fine here. I seem to remember I had a hard time getting the HDMI to plug in "nicely" with the way it was positioned so I'm going to have to try it again over there with an extender.

I did have to turn off my wifi setting when I tried to move over to YouTube and Netflix because my phone was still thinking it was seeing my home network. But I turned it off and then was prompted if I wanted to connect to the dongle again, to which I said yes, and then I was able to open Netflix and YouTube with no trouble. I watched a 1080 Avatar thing...some of the screen fades looked a bit blocky and it might have stood to be a tiny bit smoother but it was definitely completely acceptable for me. I actually dialed it down to 720 and I was fine with that as well. Netflix I'm pretty sure was a standard stream (no HD available for what I was playing with)...and must admit the phone screen looked way more beautiful than it did on the t.v. However it was itty bitty. I'm not a "videophile" so for my basic needs I can live with this. My eyes are getting older...I'd rather have a bigger screen I can see albeit not quite as high def, then try to discern detail on a smaller screen.

Bottom line...I KNOW what I linked you to will work, but go into it knowing it does run very hot and I haven't confirmed an extender fixes that issue. And msndrstood has confirmed her set up will also work for you, but apparently without getting so hot. Since you confirmed you do NOT have hotspot as an option you definitely want to do more research on Roku and Fire Stick and I guess Chromecast but honestly it sounds like you have your answer without needing to use any of those.

I wish I had unlimited data now! I can see burning through 10 gigs VERY fast.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
RecDNA: Funny you should mention an HDMI extender...I just played around some more with my streamer dongle...I had the dongle directly plugged into the port on the t.v. and OUCH definitely hot and I would be afraid to run that thing very long. I have a short cord (about 6 inches) as well as a flexible extender (i.e. maybe 2 inches long that can bend)...I think going forward I would definitely use one or the other of these rather than plugging directly into the HDMI port. Anyway, I turned off my modem and played around with it and like msndrstood described I just changed to the proper HDMI port with the remote (input) and then on my phone pulled down the quick settings shade to turn on the SmartView. I was then able to stream movie...and the same one that the sound cut out at my friend's house, worked just fine here. I seem to remember I had a hard time getting the HDMI to plug in "nicely" with the way it was positioned so I'm going to have to try it again over there with an extender.

I did have to turn off my wifi setting when I tried to move over to YouTube and Netflix because my phone was still thinking it was seeing my home network. But I turned it off and then was prompted if I wanted to connect to the dongle again, to which I said yes, and then I was able to open Netflix and YouTube with no trouble. I watched a 1080 Avatar thing...some of the screen fades looked a bit blocky and it might have stood to be a tiny bit smoother but it was definitely completely acceptable for me. I actually dialed it down to 720 and I was fine with that as well. Netflix I'm pretty sure was a standard stream (no HD available for what I was playing with)...and must admit the phone screen looked way more beautiful than it did on the t.v. However it was itty bitty. I'm not a "videophile" so for my basic needs I can live with this. My eyes are getting older...I'd rather have a bigger screen I can see albeit not quite as high def, then try to discern detail on a smaller screen.

Bottom line...I KNOW what I linked you to will work, but go into it knowing it does run very hot and I haven't confirmed an extender fixes that issue. And msndrstood has confirmed her set up will also work for you, but apparently without getting so hot. Since you confirmed you do NOT have hotspot as an option you definitely want to do more research on Roku and Fire Stick and I guess Chromecast but honestly it sounds like you have your answer without needing to use any of those.

I wish I had unlimited data now! I can see burning through 10 gigs VERY fast.
I don't understand. As explained Roku and Amazon require either wifi hotspot from phone or wifi at home. I have neither.

Microsoft device works by something called Wifi direct which is not wifi hotspot. Could people be confusing the two?

Also I found that even if I shut off phone wifi it turns itself on without my knowledge if phone is connected to home wifi. I had to forget my home wifi settings to get wifi direct turned on. Even then wifi is turned on because it creates an ad hoc network to dongle.

Running from lte in wifi direct picture not as good. Still good but not like home wifi.

I honestly don't see how all share hub can work any cooler.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I use the Samsung dongle. Works flawlessly. I leave mine plugged in all the time. No wifi needed at all.

Samsung WI-FI All-Share Cast Hub, Wireless HDMI Display Adapter (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009HDEGG...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5376433
It says The Samsung Wi-Fi All-Share Cast Hub is a compact and portable Wi-Fi Display receiver. It mirrors your phone screen on an HDTV and works with any Wi-Fi display capable device. The interface has a Wi-Fi Display (In) and an HDMI A type (Out).

It says wifi over and over?

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
recDNA: I physically unplugged my modem from power while playing with the streamer dongle. It was using my Verizon LTE data for Netflix and YouTube. I think the wifi direct connection is device to device...I'm not sure if it involved using the LTE connection or not. But absolutely I was not using my Comcast internet connection in any way, shape or form. It was all data through my phone.

With the Roku, Fire Stick and Chromecast...I believe they can all be used AFTER an initial set up with a dedicated internet connection NOT on your phone. But you don't need this. You definitely need what myself or msndrstood uses...or I think the other dongle in the beginning of this thread would work as well.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
recDNA: I physically unplugged my modem from power while playing with the streamer dongle. It was using my Verizon LTE data for Netflix and YouTube. I think the wifi direct connection is device to device...I'm not sure if it involved using the LTE connection or not. But absolutely I was not using my Comcast internet connection in any way, shape or form. It was all data through my phone.

With the Roku, Fire Stick and Chromecast...I believe they can all be used AFTER an initial set up with a dedicated internet connection NOT on your phone. But you don't need this. You definitely need what myself or msndrstood uses...or I think the other dongle in the beginning of this thread would work as well.
Well yours is like mine. Works fine gets hot. I may return mine for allshare hub to avoid the heat. If you get the chance would you check with extender to see if hdmi plug still gets hot (u have to unplug it to feel HOW hot) ? If hdmi extender keeps it cool I will add one to my microsoft adapter. It works great except for the heat. I could imagine the plastic in the hdmi of tv actually melting!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I ran a google search and many users of my device complain about heat and eventually screen freezes. Apparently true even with extender which is hard to understand. I'm going to try AllShare hub and return Microsoft miracast device.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Just got done with doing that...and the extender does NOT get hot. I unplugged it and felt it with my fingers to be sure. But the dongle still does get very hot.

I noticed when streaming Friends via Netflix, the lips/sound sync was definitely off on my phone screen, but on the t.v. it was pretty close. Definitely slightly off but not enough to be distracting. In fact not sure I would have noticed it if you hadn't commented on it (so I was on the lookout).

I'm not gonna lie...I still think the phone screen looked WAY better...but the quality was definitely acceptable to me. I don't think I'd want it to be my primary way to watch all the time, but considering my friend has no cable or internet this will more than suffice in a pinch to be able to watch some decent content rather than just what the HD TV antenna pulls in from the airwaves.

Please post back here on what happens with your set up. The fact that the hub doesn't get hot IS making me think it is a better way to go. I don't like how hot this dongle gets!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't care if the dongle toasts itself as long as it doesn't set my house on fire. I wonder if 1 amp connection was too much. TV also has .5 amp usb port maybe that works without so much heat. I will test the All Share for heat and return the hotter one.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I used the only USB port I have on the tv and am not sure what amp it is. I haven't tried the dongle at all using the wall plug. But if the device getting too hot causes stutters and what-not, then that's a valid reason to avoid it. In other words, it might not burn down the house or toast your tv but if it gets so hot it malfunctions then that's no good, either. I just haven't used it long enough to figure that out, but I'm not seeing a lot of posts indicating it's a problem.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I used the only USB port I have on the tv and am not sure what amp it is. I haven't tried the dongle at all using the wall plug. But if the device getting too hot causes stutters and what-not, then that's a valid reason to avoid it. In other words, it might not burn down the house or toast your tv but if it gets so hot it malfunctions then that's no good, either. I just haven't used it long enough to figure that out, but I'm not seeing a lot of posts indicating it's a problem.
My tv has 2 usb ports. One is 0.5 amps the other is one amp

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
The AllCast hub and your phone create a wifi network between the two devices, nothing else. You'll notice the wifi turns on when you initiate the Smart View on your phone. The data is coming from your phone. The hub that I have does not get hot when I use it, even for extended periods of time. I have the USB power source plugged into my TV. The hub itself needs very little power, there is no battery involved, it just needs juice to stay on. The other line out on the hub is the HDMI, which of course, is plugged into my non smart TV that has no internet access. The wifi that is mentioned is the wifi connecting the phone to the hub itself, my wifi is physically OFF.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The AllCast hub and your phone create a wifi network between the two devices, nothing else. You'll notice the wifi turns on when you initiate the Smart View on your phone. The data is coming from your phone. The hub that I have does not get hot when I use it, even for extended periods of time. I have the USB power source plugged into my TV. The hub itself needs very little power, there is no battery involved, it just needs juice to stay on. The other line out on the hub is the HDMI, which of course, is plugged into my non smart TV that has no internet access. The wifi that is mentioned is the wifi connecting the phone to the hub itself, my wifi is physically OFF.
Thanks. I understand now. For some reason the hdmi metal plug from mine gets very hot. Dangerously hot imo. Had I held it long enough it would have burned me. Feeling it from outside barely warm but feeling the hdmi metal right after unplugging I could feel how hot it is. Definitely will check All Share hub to see if it is safer. I hope they carry it at Best Buy. I don't want to wait for it to come in the mail.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I understand now. For some reason the hdmi metal plug from mine gets very hot. Dangerously hot imo. Had I held it long enough it would have burned me. Feeling it from outside barely warm but feeling the hdmi metal right after unplugging I could feel how hot it is. Definitely will check All Share hub to see if it is safer. I hope they carry it at Best Buy. I don't want to wait for it to come in the mail.
I couldn't find it at best buy, I got it in 2 days with Amazon Prime.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't find it at best buy, I got it in 2 days with Amazon Prime.
Oh darn. Well you saved me a trip. Thanks.

Reviews on Amazon were less than stellar. One remarked his didn't work but seller wouldn't take it back. Sounds like you were fortunate to get such good results. Terrible shame Samsung eliminated MHL. Connecting by wire is much easier and more stable.

Last edited:

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I learned a while ago not to trust reviews. Get one from a dealer with good ratings and try it yourself. It's very simple to use. I think you'll like it. 😊

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I undersold the Microsoft adapter picture quality. Maybe bad in store due to multiple adapters in one place. The picture is perfect 1080p however the lips are ever so slightly off from the sound. Not like an old dubbed foreign film but ever so slightly off. It is on the phone too. I don't know if smartview itself throws the phone off. I will have to watch the phone without the tv to see if sound syncs better.

The dongle and metal hdmi plug do get extremely hot. I wonder if a short hdmi extender cable would help?

I have these Microsoft Display Adapters and have been unable to connect. Can you tell me how? For me, they see each other, and try to connect, and my TV flashes a few times, but it always fails.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have these Microsoft Display Adapters and have been unable to connect. Can you tell me how?
Yes. Plug adapter into usb for power and other end into hdmi in on tv. Now go to Note 7 and pull down menu all the way (2 fingers on home screen). Now toggle on smart view. It will show connector after a few seconds. Click on it. Now phone should be mirrored on tv
Beware it only feels warm on the outside but the hdmi plug itself gets very very hot.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power