Screen Cast Without Wifi?

Flawdaboi

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Download FoxFi app, it let's you use tethering from your phone for free. Turn on your Note 3 and turn on your WiFi so you can connect to FoxFi. Once connect you can just continue using your hdmi adaptor or whatever you were using for your Note 3.....Just make sure you add a password to FoxFi once everything is working so no one else can get on for free

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
not allowed. I have unlimited data. don't want to give vzw an excuse to take it away. thanks though. that would have worked well.

Heck, with wifi hotspot I could connect the tv to the note 7 and watched netflix from the tv app version.

i could have turned note 3 back on for the night then turned note 7 back on in the morning but there should be a way to connect this phone directly so I want to find it.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I learned a while ago not to trust reviews. Get one from a dealer with good ratings and try it yourself. It's very simple to use. I think you'll like it. 😊

I agree. Especially in the last 6 months now with all the discounted product or free product reviews out there. But I too have seen poor reviews only to find myself very happy with the product. Often times if it's tech related there is a HIGH likelihood of user error and thus a negative review.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if this along with a type C to HDMI would work or not. I ordered a port expander that include 4 USB ports and one HDMI so will try it out later this week. The app say it works with displaylink devices. So who knows. It would solve the problem of trying to use 4g and Wi-Fi at the same time.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.displaylink.presenter&token=LXIArx79
Thanks but according tonsome very knowledgeable members here I know Samsung has intentionally disabled wired hdmi capabilities. Normally they are part of usb c but not on sammy phones.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Thanks but according tonsome very knowledgeable members here I know Samsung has intentionally disabled wired hdmi capabilities. Normally they are part of usb c but not on sammy phones.

There is a big difference between USB 2 with HML support and USB type C. The older version had additional pins for HDMI as well as software support. They removed the hardware portion in the Note 5 for example. If the software support is removed but Type C support can be restored with the Displaylink app, then we may have a solution.
Since I'm getting one in, I will post lost my success or failure here.

I do know that the Sammy guy at BB said he tried one of the USB C to HDMI adapters and it did not work, he did not try it with an app like Displaylink.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.displaylink.presenter&token=E4IWz7Zf

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
There is a big difference between USB 2 with HML support and USB type C. The older version had additional pins for HDMI as well as software support. They removed the hardware portion in the Note 5 for example. If the software support is removed but Type C support can be restored with the Displaylink app, then we may have a solution.
Since I'm getting one in, I will post lost my success or failure here.

I do know that the Sammy guy at BB said he tried one of the USB C to HDMI adapters and it did not work, he did not try it with an app like Displaylink.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.displaylink.presenter&token=9_YKEMbo
I wish you luck and please let us know either way. It would be my best solution.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes. Plug adapter into usb for power and other end into hdmi in on tv. Now go to Note 7 and pull down menu all the way (2 fingers on home screen). Now toggle on smart view. It will show connector after a few seconds. Click on it. Now phone should be mirrored on tv
Beware it only feels warm on the outside but the hdmi plug itself gets very very hot.

Right, I tried that, but fails to connect every time.
I have two of them and same thing happens on both. They see each other and the TV flashes as they try to connect but always fails. My old phone works with them with no problem.

I wonder if it is yet another crippling by Verizon - like the lack of 60fps option on YouTube.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
try not only shutting off wifi on phone but forget your home wifi pw. Even if you shut off wifi on phone it turns on again when u pick smart view. It then automatically connects to home wifi. The dongle makes its own wifi so home wifi interferes with connection to it. You could also turn off wireless router at home.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
try not only shutting off wifi on phone but forget your home wifi pw. Even if you shut off wifi on phone it turns on again when u pick smart view. It then automatically connects to home wifi. The dongle makes its own wifi so home wifi interferes with connection to it. You could also turn off wireless router at home.

Never had to do that before, but tried your suggestion. Same result.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
so you plugged is usb and hdmi dongle first. What showed up on tv screen? Can you take a picture?

Of course. Its working fine with my other phone. I used it all the time. The Note sees it, and tries to connect. The TV shows the display adapter "Connecting to JimsN7..." then fails.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Usually that happens if another wifi source interferes. You shut off wireless router? I would also shut off phone it CAN connect to. Give the dongle no other source.

You're sure it is smartview you are activating on n7 right?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
BTW, yours does work with another phone? If u stream video for 30 min does hdmi get hot? You have to unplug hdmi to feel it.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
No, I didn't shut off wireless router. I shouldn't have to start shutting off things in the house for it to work. Other people are using the wireless router. My other phone just finds it an connects, and I just disconnect when finished. Simple as can be. I don't even disconnect the phone from the wireless router before connecting to the display adapter. It all just works. If I have to tell my phone to forget my network (didn't help anyway), turn off wireless on phone (didn't help either) and turn off my router (didn't try, but shouldn't matter) then it kind of defeats the convenience of the whole thing.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
No, I didn't shut off wireless router. I shouldn't have to start shutting off things in the house for it to work. Other people are using the wireless router. My other phone just finds it an connects, and I just disconnect when finished. Simple as can be. I don't even disconnect the phone from the wireless router before connecting to the display adapter. It all just works. If I have to tell my phone to forget my network (didn't help anyway), turn off wireless on phone (didn't help either) and turn off my router (didn't try, but shouldn't matter) then it kind of defeats the convenience of the whole thing.
If your phone connects to wifi (and it will when u hit smart view because smart view turns wifi back on) then it interferes with connection process. Microsoft employee warned me about it. Forgetting the home network should do the trick though even with router on. My phone didn't connect properly until I forgot my home wifi. It only takes a sec to log back in. My guess is the dongle wants to connect to phone 1 so won't connect to phone 2 if wifi network at home is truly forgotten.

If phone connects to home network and it will when u hit smart view dongle will never work. I had same issue.

Aren't you worried hot hdmi will fry your tv hdmi port? I am.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
My phone is not connecting to WiFi after I "forget" my network, so that shouldn't be it. The dongle doesn't even know phone1 is there until it initiates handshaking, so that shouldn't matter. I have three phones here that connect and disconnect with the adapter at will with no problems - two BlackBerry's, and an LG G4 still on Lolipop. Just the Note 7 won't connect.
Yeah, I have been a little uncomfortable with how hot the adapter gets sometimes.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Ya it is odd. Feels like cache has to be cleared but dongle remembers nothing. Obviously it has to do with the phone. I cannot imagine what. Wifi direct is similar to connecting to wifi network and we know that works. You could bring your N7 to microsoft store and ask if u could try connecting to one of their monitors. I did b4 I bought mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech