How are these devices holding up? Is the aluminum frame able to keep up?

Had to pry a hard plastic shell off the phone and it made me wince
    08-29-2016 10:00 AM
    It is as durable as any phone these days. It's made of glass so it's going to crack if dropped. Here is a video test against the iPhone 6S though if interested.

toenail_flicker likes this.
    08-29-2016 10:11 AM
    I'm worried more about bending and stressing the frame by removing and installing cases
    08-29-2016 10:12 AM
    There's a video on YouTube Vs Note 7... Note 5 and iPhone 6s drop test.... The note 7 was the first to Crack but the only phone working at the end..... I'll take glass replacement Vs Phone replacement
    08-29-2016 10:20 AM
    I treat my N7 like a porcelain doll filled with nitroglycerin. Never done that before, so my impression for durability of an all glass device after actually owning one is pretty $hitty right now. I have complete confidence that any drop I have had with the Note 4 or MXPE unscathed will not be with the Note 7. That is IMO not good for a portable device. Ironic in fact.

Added: Again, this is my impression due to the Note 7 being covered in crack loving glass.
    08-29-2016 10:25 AM
    no offense but these tests drive me crazy.

I dropped me 6s+ 3 times...I had a glass protector on the front and leather case on the back...All 3 times the screen protector shattered and twice the actual screen under the screen protector ended up with scratches and 1 small crack.

I dropped my Note 5 in the same manner. On the 4th drop it hit the edge of a metal leg of a tradeshow table and went black...when I turned it back on, the screen had multiple purple lines in it that, over time, got really bad and thick to the point I could not see the screen...the actual screen never cracked.

The only phone I've ever owned that didn't break EVER when I dropped it was my BB Bold. That think was as close to bullet proof as it gets, although, not a powerful obviously.

Dropping your phone on hard surfaces almost always guarantees some sort of issue. If you drop it and are spared, you are lucky.

Part of the deal. It will happen.
    Strong_Genetics likes this.
    08-29-2016 10:28 AM
    I'm worried more about bending and stressing the frame by removing and installing cases
    The frames on Samsung phones are VERY strong. There's no chance you'll bend one.

It is as durable as any phone these days. It's made of glass so it's going to crack if dropped. Here is a video test against the iPhone 6S though if interested.

I disagree. The Note 7 and any iPhone are going to be the easiest phones to crack or shatter.
    johnnyshinta likes this.
    08-29-2016 10:29 AM
    I had the s7e and was told it was pretty sturdy. I worried that the note was less so with a bigger screen

Any reason to be concerned about pulling a hard case off?
    08-29-2016 10:38 AM

I dropped me 6s+ 3 times...I had a glass protector on the front and leather case on the back...All 3 times the screen protector shattered and twice the actual screen under the screen protector ended up with scratches and 1 small crack.

I dropped my Note 5 in the same manner. On the 4th drop it hit the edge of a metal leg of a tradeshow table and went black...when I turned it back on, the screen had multiple purple lines in it that, over time, got really bad and thick to the point I could not see the screen...the actual screen never cracked.

The only phone I've ever owned that didn't break EVER when I dropped it was my BB Bold. That think was as close to bullet proof as it gets, although, not a powerful obviously.

Dropping your phone on hard surfaces almost always guarantees some sort of issue. If you drop it and are spared, you are lucky.

Couldn't agree more - dropping your phone is part of the experience.

I'm surprised when folks complain about fragile beauty gorgeous smartphones with sensitive screens and glass bodies breaking - that's what they do.

Come on folks, it's a computer, only smaller and in your hand . What computer would not break when dropped????

The only phone consistently able to survive drops is the Droid Turbo 2 - that thing is a tank , and feels and drives like one, compared to my beauticious sleek Black Note 7

Loving this phone !!!
    08-29-2016 11:45 AM
    I disagree. The Note 7 and any iPhone are going to be the easiest phones to crack or shatter.
    I am just curious, why would the Note 7 or an iPhone crack or shatter more easily than any other phone made of glass?
    08-29-2016 11:48 AM
    I am just curious, why would the Note 7 or an iPhone crack or shatter more easily than any other phone made of glass?
    The iphone has 2.5D class and the Note 7 has a full curve.
    08-29-2016 12:19 PM
    They froze the phone and dropped it a 100 feet and it still works ....I think we're good lol
    08-29-2016 12:36 PM
    I'm wondering how durable the black coating finish along the sides is?
    Hope it does not wear off to easy.

rushmore's Note 7 impression is 100% spot on.
    08-29-2016 12:49 PM
    They froze the phone and dropped it a 100 feet and it still works ....I think we're good lol
    Not sure that this shows any kind of durability. They dropped the thick section of ice first and the ice acted as a impact absorber. I think this is probable safer than a 5 foot naked drop.
    08-29-2016 01:20 PM
    Not sure that this shows any kind of durability. They dropped the thick section of ice first and the ice acted as a impact absorber. I think this is probable safer than a 5 foot naked drop.
    That ice shape and thickness (especially with air in it) is a pretty good energy absorbing material. Energy displaces before it gets to the Note 7. Waaaay safer than a naked five foot or hard case drop.
    08-29-2016 01:34 PM

Couldn't agree more - dropping your phone is part of the experience.

I'm surprised when folks complain about fragile beauty gorgeous smartphones with sensitive screens and glass bodies breaking - that's what they do.

Come on folks, it's a computer, only smaller and in your hand . What computer would not break when dropped????

The only phone consistently able to survive drops is the Droid Turbo 2 - that thing is a tank , and feels and drives like one, compared to my beauticious sleek Black Note 7

Loving this phone !!!
    To be fair, your opinion drives other's just as crazy as their opinion drives you!

This is a phone. NOT a computer. It's general purpose is DIFFERENT than a computer. I wouldn't expect my desktop computer to survive anything near what my phone should. It is meant to be with you during most of your daily activities. Things get dropped. Either because someone nudges you or because you just brain farted. Anything you hold will most likely eventually be dropped if you hold it for long enough. I probably hold my phone longer than any other single thing in my life. So it should be designed with this in mind. Computers are NOT meant to be carried around like this and because of this not designed to withstand drops. However there are laptops that are designed to be carried around in tough environments and because of this they really are designed to withstand falls. If most people (obviously not all) eventually get a cracked screen, then it is a common problem and should be considered.

The size race ended years ago. Most people put cases on their phone anyways, so why do companies insist on making them x cm smaller or thinner when it compromises durability. I would love it to be slightly thicker or bigger but designed to withstand a fall better. Don't forget that glass thickness has ALOT to do with durability as well. I am generally very resistant to 'conspiracy theories' , but I do fully believe that making them fragile and the batteries smaller has alot more to do with money making than actual engineering hurdles.
    johnnyshinta likes this.
    08-29-2016 01:39 PM
    Thanks for the input everyone. I've installed and removed my snap on case a few times but feel better after your comments.
    08-30-2016 08:38 AM