NFC on/off and Samsung Pay question

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
So I enabled NFC from the beginning on my Note 7 and have had no issues using Samsung Pay.

I then read that leaving it on is not necessary as it will turn on when you go to use Samsung Pay.

Then I got to thinking about some of the posts people have made that have had less than stellar performance when using Samsung Pay and got to wondering if maybe it's because those folks don't have NFC on all the time?

Just curious if that may be a reason for sporadic success with Samsung Pay - maybe it's taking the a few extra seconds to get NFC rolling which results in failed transactions?

Personally I'd like to have it off just because I don't like a bunch of crap hanging out in my notification bar but have lived with the big ugly N up there since day one. Guess I'm OCD. :)

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I do not turn my NFC on and have been able to use Samsung Pay except one time, but I've only used it a handful of times. Seems to work flawlessly at Best Buy and Giant. Petco was a failure, but the cashier said she had yet to see ANY of the phone pay systems work (Apple Pay included).

climb

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Samsung Pay weds both near field communication as well as magnetic strip reading technology.

NFC does not have to be turned on for the software to read a terminal.

I love this payment application and especially when a cashier tells me their machine doesn't work with a phone payment system (as they are thinking about Apples system) and before they can finish their sentence the machine beeps and the purchase is made!!!

One more wonderful attribute of my beloved sleek Black Note 7 !!!

climb

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Samsung Pay weds both near field communication as well as magnetic strip reading technology.

NFC does not have to be turned on for the software to read a terminal.

I love this payment application and especially when a cashier tells me their machine doesn't work with a phone payment system (as they are thinking about Apples system) and before they can finish their sentence the machine beeps and the purchase is made!!!

One more wonderful attribute of my beloved sleek Black Note 7 !!!

And btw, nothing wrong with a little OCD !!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
As others have said -- you don't have to keep it on. Samsung Pay will turn it on when it pulses for a transaction.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes I'm aware it doesn't "need" to be turned on to work - just wondered if perhaps that was part of the reason people have had failed transactions when using it - because of whatever (if any) delay there is when the NFC kicks on.