Email notification without vibration

Dave Paterson

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi - on my Note 4 I was set up so that I would get visual notification of email in status bar, but no vibration. This with phone still set to vibrate for Calls and SMS. Can't figure out how to do that on Note 7 to just get the visual email notifications. I tried turning off Email Notifications in Settings but as you might expect that stopped the visual notification as well as the vibration. Thanks in anticipation :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That should be within the settings of the e-mail app you're using in their notification section. Not all apps allow for disabling vibration, though.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi - on my Note 4 I was set up so that I would get visual notification of email in status bar, but no vibration. This with phone still set to vibrate for Calls and SMS. Can't figure out how to do that on Note 7 to just get the visual email notifications. I tried turning off Email Notifications in Settings but as you might expect that stopped the visual notification as well as the vibration. Thanks in anticipation :)

What are you using for email?

soulsmilen

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
A major pain, IMO; I detest the vibration notifications in any app.

Adding to the above response... you will also need to check the notification settings for VIP sender email if the email app you use has that.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So do you use the stock e-mail app for your Exchange account or do you use Microsoft's Outlook? I really don't know the settings for either (I use Nine for my work e-mail), but for GMail just go to your GMail app, on the menu select your account, then scroll down to Settings. There you should see an 'Inbox sound & vibrate' option, and inside that you can change the notification sound and turn on/off vibration individually. Should be something similar for the Exchange one, but again, I can't be certain as this is on a per-app basis.

soulsmilen

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
That sounds like what I'm after. Can you please be more specific about where that setting is, as I can't find it? Thanks

For the stock email app ...

Open the email app> 3-dot menu at top right> Settings> Notifications

There you can Select/Open each -- VIP and whatever your account is named. You can toggle each on and off, or open each and toggle vibration, as well as set specific notification tone.

For Gmail app...

Phone Settings> Applications > Gmail > Notifications > More Settings
Each account is listed (if you have more than one)
Select account > Inbox sound & vibrate

Hope this helps. I can't advise on MS Exchange as I haven't gotten that far yet. Wanting to get more accustomed to the phone before I retire the Note 4 and make it my lifeblood.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks soulsmilen! And sorry I couldn't be more specific, but I don't use the stock e-mail app and the only way to see its settings is to set up an account :(

soulsmilen

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks soulsmilen! And sorry I couldn't be more specific, but I don't use the stock e-mail app and the only way to see its settings is to set up an account :(
No worries. When I can answer something from experience and be 100% on it, I try to help. No way everyone can answer all app settings questions since we have so many options. It's all part of the beauty of Android!