Is battery a moot point at the end of the day?

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
At the end of the day, I think battery life means a lot. I guess I don't every want to worry about how I use my phone, how long I use my phone, what features I should limit myself in order to conserve my battery, worry about ccarrying chargers, worry about finding electricity if I am hiking, making sure I keep an eye on the power left, etc. Therefore, I have stuck with my N3 with my Anker 6400 mah battery. I use all of my phone features and never have run out of power by the end of the day, no matter how I use my phone. Missing out on the great features of the N7 isn't worth the battery anxiety I might have.

Last edited:

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
What I would be more worried about is what battery life in it is going to be after a year or more of use and what the price would be to get it replaced as you obviously can't do this yourself

tinybfk

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I agree for the most part, but I actually do get 12 to 14 hours out of the Note 7. Active battery life between iOS and Android are similar, it's idle or standby battery life where iOS blows Android out of the water.

My work phone can go 5 days idle and still be alive.

This is totally correct in my experience. Standby time sucks the big one in comparison to iOS.

Extremevl

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
My friend uses a Mophie Juice Pack on his S7 Edge but only when he's at work and the moment he gets off work he takes off the juice pack and uses the phone caseless (naked).

When he uses the juice pack at work he keeps it turned on and lets the juice pack battery drain down during his shift so when he gets off work his phone is charged up 100% and he's good to go for that evening/night.

I think this is great option for people (like myself) that don't stay in one spot all the time at work, if you work in an office and rarely leave your desk or area than a Samsung fast charging wireless charging pad is the best option. I hate dealing with cords and I only use my car charger when I using Google Maps since it kills my battery, I ordered a Samsung fast charging wireless charging pad for the dresser next to my bed but I'm still waiting for Mophie to make a juice for my Note 7.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I am getting home from a 12 hour shift at work with between 45 and 60 percent battery, depending on how busy i was...

I was spoiled to tbe razr maxx amd droid maxx and when i had my note 2 and 3 i would go nuts when my battery went below 80 at work... omg what if i run out!

It has taken me a long time to not sit and watch the battery, i have a charger in my office, i have the power saving for emergencies amd i have a batt pack. I still havent HAD to use either of them.

Thing is, once i calmed down about the battery i found i had plenty for a long shift at work.. i can run it down on my days off sitting and playing lol, but days i work i find i have plenty left when i get home..

Im a recovering dead battery phob!! Lol

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well of course you Kelly. Lol.

My Note I feel was different only because I was having issues holding a charge for 6-7 hours despite constantly rebooting and doing a ton of stuff to it. That made me panic having used a Note 3 and really not having those issues.

This one is much better but leaning on the idea of fast charge changes it all.

I'm also not flying as much as I had been but getting that Samsung charging brick makes a difference too.
Hahaha

Yes fast charging changes everything. It is just a mindset we have to change. I used to carry a spare battery in my purse that I rarely use. Now I carry a spare charging block and spare cord in my purse that I rarely use. If I know it is likely to be a long day and no plug available, I take a small (not even fast charge) cylinder power bank. My Note 5 still charges very fast, which I was surprised about, and it is small enough I can hold it under my phone if necessary.

I've only needed that a few times. I had the ability to throw my phone in my car for a few minutes, but didn't want to.

Now one thing.. Many cars now won't charge your phone without the car running. That is a bad thing. I can put my phone in my car of necessary and in 30 mins I can charge over half the battery.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
What I would be more worried about is what battery life in it is going to be after a year or more of use and what the price would be to get it replaced as you obviously can't do this yourself
You can get it replaced at a Samsung walk in center or mail it in to Samsung. You are looking at somewhere between $50 to $75, and IIRC, all batteries were closer to $50, maybe even $45.

kedesa

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I agree for the most part, but I actually do get 12 to 14 hours out of the Note 7. Active battery life between iOS and Android are similar, it's idle or standby battery life where iOS blows Android out of the water.

My work phone can go 5 days idle and still be alive.

Exactly what I noticed as well. (6S Plus, various Notes and S6). It's the standby time that is great on iOS. After the last update my S6 standby time did get better, but still doesn't match my 6S Plus.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
This is totally correct in my experience. Standby time sucks the big one in comparison to iOS.
A very simple app, Greenify, can help standby and doesn't interfere with Android's Doze feature.

Now with Doze.. The phone has to be still, sitting down. I expect Android to work on their Doze gesture to do more who truly idle and not just sitting still.

Deputy1

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have chargers off all types at work, home and in the car. Type C in the car for use with both Android Auto and for fast charging. Wireless, standard and rapid chargers at home. Rapid charger at work. Rarely if ever do I worry about my battery. I usually don't let it get below 40%.

canonuevo

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I came here to find out about normal battery life. I just switched from iPhone because of battery. I took my note off the charger a little after noon at 100% and did not use it a ton, and by 10pm I was at 15%. Here is a screenshot. Are these percentages normal? //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160830/f7062c16a35c22612699a68e7198d7a4.jpg

Android system seems pretty high. I get around 20% or less. I do have a lot of things disabled. How much Screen on Time did you get?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Now with Doze.. The phone has to be still, sitting down. I expect Android to work on their Doze gesture to do more who truly idle and not just sitting still.

For Android Nougat, they have updated Doze and the standby should be even better. Now we'll have to see if Samsung carries this forward to Galaxy devices, and how much improvement that yields.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I hope they do. I don't get much benefit of Doze, my phone doesn't sit still much when I'm awake. Now there are times it isn't being used, but it generally isn't sitting down still.

I wish they would adopt some of what Greenify does, so there are specific apps you can choose to keep hibernated until you actually use them and then maybe hibernate back when you close them.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
So funny...I have GSAM installed and it was in my notifications...but having it there makes it show up on the AOD display which I don't care for. So I removed it from notifications and my obsession with the battery has definitely gone down some! I guess because it's not as in-my-face (though it still has a home on the edge panel).

I started out on Android with the Samsung Fascinate (anyone remember that phone??). I LOVED that thing except for Touchwiz and battery life. And didn't mind that it was plastic. But battery life was killing me...so I moved over to the Droids (Motorola) and wow they definitely know what they are doing with the batteries. So I, too, was spoiled by the Razr Maxx and Droid Maxx.

I'm coming around...just gonna take some time. Do we need to start a self help group here? ;)

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
So funny...I have GSAM installed and it was in my notifications...but having it there makes it show up on the AOD display which I don't care for. So I removed it from notifications and my obsession with the battery has definitely gone down some! I guess because it's not as in-my-face (though it still has a home on the edge panel).

I started out on Android with the Samsung Fascinate (anyone remember that phone??). I LOVED that thing except for Touchwiz and battery life. And didn't mind that it was plastic. But battery life was killing me...so I moved over to the Droids (Motorola) and wow they definitely know what they are doing with the batteries. So I, too, was spoiled by the Razr Maxx and Droid Maxx.

I'm coming around...just gonna take some time. Do we need to start a self help group here? ;)
Self help group +1. Samsung Anon. Something like that.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
OP, I could've written your post almost verbatim. Everything you said is how I feel and behave. Except I have rapid chargers in both vehicles, work backpack, desk at work, recliner in my man cave, both nightstands, three wireless Samsung chargers, and about five USB battery power banks in various places. I even have a rapid charger in my golf cart.

Yep...I never worry about SOT or brightness level. I paid nearly $900 for this gorgeous device and...dammit...I want to get every bit of enjoyment and performance out of it I can get. Until I get a new device in about 6 months or less, like I usually do.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie