Is battery a moot point at the end of the day?

bgapfire

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I think it is more people comparing to current phones...ie, the iPhone 6s/plus..etc. That is where my head has been. I have found that the iPhone has better battery life than the N7, but I still get all day battery from N7 based on my use patterns.

Honestly what drives me the craziest is these darn posts on this forum where many are stating 5+ hours of SOT. I have not gotten over 3...so I am trying to figure out what I am doing differently, all the while knowing that I have no problem :)

I don't even worry about screen on time, either. You'll see how much it varies depending on what you're doing with your phone. If you watch Netflix all day, your SOT will be astronomical. Then someone can post here that their SOT is never an issue. If you're popping in for IG, texting, FB and the like, it may be smaller. My question is... were you able to do what you wanted to do with the phone and had access to charging?

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Rapid charging and cheap power bricks seemed to have solved the Android battery issues. With a smart battery brick you can rapid charge the device as well. I have at least 4 gadgets on me all the time - smartwatch, two phones and a tablet. That power brick comes in handy all the time...

Nyt1

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
I have to say I am really sad to see that almost everyone here disagrees with my thoughts on battery life! Mostly because if there is no high demand for great battery life, then the suppliers will make no effort to improve battery life.

For me battery life is the most important part of a phone - not because I use my phone too much or don't have access to chargers (although with the Note 7 the USB-C makes it more difficult to find available chargers from anyone) but in case of an emergency. The beautiful design, fast processor, nice screen, and helpful apps are all USELESS if my phone has died and all I need it for is to make an emergency phone call. I don't want "charge phone" to always be on my mind, or have to base my choices around whether or not my phones needs to be charged. Sometimes I forget to charge my phone in the middle of the day or moving around without access to a charger.

It seems, though, that I will need to adapt because most people are settling for mediocre battery performance.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Mediocre battery? A Note 7 especially does a lot. We can get a bigger battery, which translates to a bigger, heavier phone.

The adapters Samsung included are for those emergencies, as are A to C cables.

C is the industry standard now. Those will be just like micro USB.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I have to say I am really sad to see that almost everyone here disagrees with my thoughts on battery life! Mostly because if there is no high demand for great battery life, then the suppliers will make no effort to improve battery life.

For me battery life is the most important part of a phone - not because I use my phone too much or don't have access to chargers (although with the Note 7 the USB-C makes it more difficult to find available chargers from anyone) but in case of an emergency. The beautiful design, fast processor, nice screen, and helpful apps are all USELESS if my phone has died and all I need it for is to make an emergency phone call. I don't want "charge phone" to always be on my mind, or have to base my choices around whether or not my phones needs to be charged. Sometimes I forget to charge my phone in the middle of the day or moving around without access to a charger.

It seems, though, that I will need to adapt because most people are settling for mediocre battery performance.

Well a couple things to point out here.

I don't agree that Samsung won't offer the best battery technology there is. They need to stay ahead of the competition and that will be, for better or worse, iPhone. They will continue to offer the latest advance. It just gives them more reason to offer upgrades each and ever year.

Second - Battery life is actually the #1 thing for me. Meaning, I need to get through an entire 8-10 hour day. Thats about the amount of time I am going to be away from a charging ability at a max. My point was, it is extremely rare that anyone, 90% of us, are away from charging capability for that long period of time. Overseas flights offer charging. Coast to Coast doesn't take that long.

BUT - If it does, there are options, as I outlined, and those options can get take you from 30-60% topped off in 20-40 minutes.

If you "need" it to get longer, I'd highly recommend a Motorola Max or something like my son who is in school all day and then goes out has. He gets 20-24 hours easy. Yeah, I know you don't WANT that, so then you need to start making trade offs I suppose.

My OP was all about the psychology behind battery. I don't think people "NEED" to get 14-18 hours in a day given all the options tis phone gives you for fast charge. Just a 15-20 min "top up" can add 30-50% to the phone.

That's all my opinion and this is from someone where battery life is important to me. I am just not letting me control the decision to make a purchase for a device like this that can do so much more for me.

Shamshi-Adad

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Wow! I've just finished reading this whole thread and I think it's been the BEST READ I've had at a forum in quite some time!!! And USEFULL too.

Inventory of quick chargers:
1 in truck
1 at desk
1 at Lay-Z-Boy
1 on nightstand
2 in Messenger Bag (1 wall and 1 car)
1 Batt Pack in Messenger Bag

What..... me worry? And the "speed" of the juicers is an absolute delight.:p

Peace and thanks to all of you.. Alan

EDIT> BEST READ I've had at a forum EVER!

amakattak

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
I don't understand how people have anxiety about this? I guess I'm always close enough to a power outlet or have an Anker with me that it's a moot point? Even now, I've been up since 5:45 am this morning and it's now 3:26 pm and my phone is still at 85% charge. Granted, I haven't used it much since I've been at work, but I just find it weird that people stress this much over it. I get it if you're like a forrest ranger or something, but who really isn't that close to an outlet or their car charger.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand how people have anxiety about this? I guess I'm always close enough to a power outlet or have an Anker with me that it's a moot point? Even now, I've been up since 5:45 am this morning and it's now 3:26 pm and my phone is still at 85% charge. Granted, I haven't used it much since I've been at work, but I just find it weird that people stress this much over it. I get it if you're like a forrest ranger or something, but who really isn't that close to an outlet or their car charger.
Everyone isn't always near a plug.

I'm not a Forest Ranger but I'm not always where I can plug in. I have battery banks, but not always an outlet.

Shamshi-Adad

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
My last job, the company was a campus style environment and as Telecom Mgr. I was away from my desk so much that my desk extension ALWAYS forwarded to my smartphone, unless I had an appointment for a conference call where I wanted to be on my desk phone. To BOOT, my job duties we're 24x7. So my smartphones got a REAL workout 5 days a week at LEAST for 11 years, even when I was telecommuting.

THAT'S where I got my affinity for charger and battery pack access.

Peace. Alan

Nyt1

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
Well a couple things to point out here.

I don't agree that Samsung won't offer the best battery technology there is. They need to stay ahead of the competition and that will be, for better or worse, iPhone. They will continue to offer the latest advance. It just gives them more reason to offer upgrades each and ever year.

Second - Battery life is actually the #1 thing for me. Meaning, I need to get through an entire 8-10 hour day. Thats about the amount of time I am going to be away from a charging ability at a max. My point was, it is extremely rare that anyone, 90% of us, are away from charging capability for that long period of time. Overseas flights offer charging. Coast to Coast doesn't take that long.

BUT - If it does, there are options, as I outlined, and those options can get take you from 30-60% topped off in 20-40 minutes.

If you "need" it to get longer, I'd highly recommend a Motorola Max or something like my son who is in school all day and then goes out has. He gets 20-24 hours easy. Yeah, I know you don't WANT that, so then you need to start making trade offs I suppose.

My OP was all about the psychology behind battery. I don't think people "NEED" to get 14-18 hours in a day given all the options tis phone gives you for fast charge. Just a 15-20 min "top up" can add 30-50% to the phone.

That's all my opinion and this is from someone where battery life is important to me. I am just not letting me control the decision to make a purchase for a device like this that can do so much more for me.

What do you mean I don't want that? This Moto Max sounds great. Why have I never heard of it before??

My original comment though was based on most people's responses to battery life no longer being an issue. And the overwhelming majority here is that no it's not an issue. Hence, no reason for Samsung or its competitors to try to improve battery life significantly on their phones.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Doesn't matter to me because being at my desk all day I'm charging it on my wireless charger.

When I drive home I can easily charge it by using my powerbank in my handbag.

Not an issue for moi

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean I don't want that? This Moto Max sounds great. Why have I never heard of it before??

My original comment though was based on most people's responses to battery life no longer being an issue. And the overwhelming majority here is that no it's not an issue. Hence, no reason for Samsung or its competitors to try to improve battery life significantly on their phones.
No, no one has said battery isn't an issue.

Obsessing over not having to plug in your charger during the day when that isn't necessary, keeps people from enjoying their phone

Samsung isn't going to stop with improving battery life, it is a battery operated device.
. It is probably a Droid Maxx 2. If you are someone that wants a Note series phone, the Droid Maxx 2 isn't going to make you happy for a daily driver.

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_droid_maxx_2-7712.php

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Getting 12-14 hours also can stretch that out at night as I'm not on it as much to nearly bed time. Coming from a Note 5 its more refined everything is better about it so far. By the time I upgrade next Summer I'm sure the battery won't last as long but it will be time for a Note 8 then.

Stealthieone

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
So what is the average screen time people are getting? I once got 6 hrs and like 10 mins.. Lately its only about 5hrs and 15 mins. Just trying to guage whats good or what should be expected

geraldem

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
So what is the average screen time people are getting? I once got 6 hrs and like 10 mins.. Lately its only about 5hrs and 15 mins. Just trying to guage whats good or what should be expected

still only getting about 3 hours. But I have not run the package disabler yet.

geraldem

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
How do you run the disabler? Do you just click on disable all bloatware? Or is there a step to step guide?

Great question. I need to figure that out too. There are a number of people who have posted their settings on this thread, I was gonna start there. I do know that you don't just select all ....you have to be somewhat selective.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

If that was the only criteria, we could all go back to the flip phones, battery life was awesome and you could always count on it to make that emergency call. Today's smartphones allow you to do so much more, so all that extra activity on a gigantic screen means that battery life can only be realistic to a certain extent. Until smart and slim battery packs and rapid charging came along, the burden of carrying extra batteries or power cases etc was more cumbersome. I agree it is still an added step but the inconvenience of having to carrying a battery pack far outweighs the convenience of having a smartphone that can do so much more than a 10 year old flip phone with great battery life.

Another reason for not getting good battery life is the fact that we are spoiled by qHD screens so even with a 3500mAh battery it is difficult to get through a full day of heavy use. Contrast that with Apple who does not provide a qHD screen for good reason and can get away with a measly 2700mAh battery in the 6s+. With that in mind it is quite commendable what Samsung has done on the international S7edge.

There are battery advances coming but those will come from companies focused on battery research and not companies making smartphones. Everyone is going to focus on their core competency.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae