Samsung pay just doesn't work reliably. I don't care what the commercials say

Status
Not open for further replies.

chongwj

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I have no issues using Samsung pay with my credit cards. But the $20 reward never worked for me. Maybe should have tried credit instead of debit payment.

monkeypimp

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I am having issues using Samsung Pay with my Debit card. I only have my Debit card loaded into Samsung pay. When I go to pay if I choose Credit as the payment form it works with no issue. If I choose debit the terminal asks for my PIN number which I enter and then it declines the card saying "invalid or incorrect pin number". Am I doing something incorrect?

Ev C

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I am having issues using Samsung Pay with my Debit card. I only have my Debit card loaded into Samsung pay. When I go to pay if I choose Credit as the payment form it works with no issue. If I choose debit the terminal asks for my PIN number which I enter and then it declines the card saying "invalid or incorrect pin number". Am I doing something incorrect?

This has always been the case since I started using Samsung Pay with the Note 5. You have to enter as credit and you will be fine. That's probably why so many people think it doesn't work. Trust me Samsung Pay works just fine it's user error in most cases.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I just started using it yesterday. First successful attempt was at Rite Aid. Just held the phone near the spot where you swipe your cards (as others have mentioned) and it worked great. Plus got my $20 promotion from Samsung.
Just keeping my card near me, just in case, until I get good at it and I know where I can use it.

monkeypimp

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
This has always been the case since I started using Samsung Pay with the Note 5. You have to enter as credit and you will be fine. That's probably why so many people think it doesn't work. Trust me Samsung Pay works just fine it's user error in most cases.

Issue you being is that some places like Costco only accept debit or their credit cards. So I can't use it there. And according to the Samsung website it says that you can use the debit and just have to enter the PIN on the terminal, which isn't working for me.

ctk4949

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You're doing it wrong!!

I love Samsung Pay!! I only carry one credit card in case of emergency. The rest of the time, im using Samsung Pay. You can even get it to work at the Gas Pump!! :)

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Been using Samsung Pay consistently and reliably since March when it was announced with the S7E. Very few problems. On a recent trip to Canada SP also worked well there. The only bug I have, Amex does not seem to work at Walmart, but Visa works fine.

At least you can get Visa to work at Walmart. I think mine is blocking it. Always get an error there now that Walmart Pay is out. Also, SP came out last year veggie the s7e came out. it worked on the s6 as well because I used it with that phone too.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

There should be a 4 digit number to the left of your debit card. I believe you use that instead of your banking pin for security.

fgcchevy

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
I used mine at rural king today. Cashier was givine a look like it's not gonna work, then her face as it processed was hilarious! Lol

Dubss

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Not sure what you guys are doing but I haven't had any issues with Samsung pay I've used at DD, Walmart and a few more places. I have had to enter my pin maybe once but that may be the merchant.

Ev C

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
The only place Samsung pay hasn't ever worked for me is those self check outs in walmart, subway based in their machine and once at smash burger.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
The only place Samsung pay hasn't ever worked for me is those self check outs in walmart, subway based in their machine and once at smash burger.

I was gonna ask about the self checkout at Walmart. I haven't been able to get mine to work at self checkout. I haven't tried at a register yet, because the lines are always so long. Some people have trouble there and some don't.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I was gonna ask about the self checkout at Walmart. I haven't been able to get mine to work at self checkout. I haven't tried at a register yet, because the lines are always so long. Some people have trouble there and some don't.
The register is very finicky. You have to hit the exact sweet spot else it don't work

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Was gonna start a thread, but gonna hijack this one a little instead....

First, i love samsung pay. I was a beta tester, and have used it since then... on my note 7, it worked a couple of days and now it won't. I work at a store, and used to use it nearly every day, and niw it wont trigger the regjster...and at otjer places too. It also wont do NFC at my store either. I hope it's not broken. The bigger question..if I clear data will i lose my rewards cards?

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Was gonna start a thread, but gonna hijack this one a little instead....

First, i love samsung pay. I was a beta tester, and have used it since then... on my note 7, it worked a couple of days and now it won't. I work at a store, and used to use it nearly every day, and niw it wont trigger the regjster...and at otjer places too. It also wont do NFC at my store either. I hope it's not broken. The bigger question..if I clear data will i lose my rewards cards?

I had that happen and found a Reddit post that suggested I clear the apps cache. That sorted it out for me.

Been using Samsung Pay since it debuted and haven't had problems with it 99% of the time. For those who have had issues, did you open up Help in Samsung Pay and watch the video of where to place the card for CC machines that have magnetic card swipe readers? I use it just like that, even in places where I'd have to insert a card with a chip on it, if the card I'm using on the phone normally does have the chip, I find it works with the magnetic strip transmission.

Idelgado782

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I had some issues at two CVS stores today. I tried credit and the first store was at the self check out at CVS. I'm going to try tomorrow using the magnetic strip method and see if that works.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I had some issues at two CVS stores today. I tried credit and the first store was at the self check out at CVS. I'm going to try tomorrow using the magnetic strip method and see if that works.

I've had the same at self checkout counters at CVS. Strange, but using the MST on these worked, while using the smart card chip reader didn't despite the original card itself having a chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana