Samsung pay just doesn't work reliably. I don't care what the commercials say

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Like I said last I tried it worked. It was awhile back.

We will see :).

CVS used to take SoftCard then purposefully disabled all NFC payments from their terminals:

CVS, Rite Aid Baffle Payments Industry With Decisions To Block NFC, Apple Pay

They did it b/c they were partnering with Walmart to develop their own NFC payment system called Current C.

CVS, Rite Aid and Wal-Mart among 50 retailers that have refused NFC payments – Tech2

That was before Samsung pay even came out. SP has never worked at CVS. You were likely at Walgreens.

AFAIK, it doesn't work at Walmart even with debit card. Like CVS they have disabled NFC payments.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
CVS used to take SoftCard then purposefully disabled all NFC payments from their terminals:

They did it b/c they were partnering with Walmart to develop their own NFC payment system called Current C.

CVS, Rite Aid and Wal-Mart among 50 retailers that have refused NFC payments – Tech2

That was before Samsung pay even came out. SP has never worked at CVS. You were likely at Walgreens.

AFAIK, it doesn't work at Walmart even with debit card. Like CVS they have disabled NFC payments.
And NFC payments aren't required for Samsung Pay. You can run it like a normal card. ;). Again.. I know the difference in CVS and Walgreens haha. You're welcome to not believe but I have no reason to lie about it.

I just used it at a gas station that had no NFC but it went fine. That's the joy of Samsung Pay. It can be ran like a normal card.

Bonjovigirl

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
I've only had a problem at the Bronx Zoo where it actually crashed the computer they were using, twice, not sure why. I've used it at Walmart at self checkout twice and worked both times, I thought it wasn't working because it kept ticking down and try again came on but I looked at the terminal and I had to enter pin or change transaction type which I did to credit and worked fine. The try again was still on the phone when I looked at the terminal and did the selection. I've used it at CVS, Shake Shack, Key Foods, Subway, Sally's, ULTA, Woman's and other places. So I think if your having trouble make sure you ask the cashier if they chose credit/debit or if your doing self checkout make sure to check the terminal screen. I love how easy it is.

Last edited:

nobrakes

May 16, 2010
Visit site
It definitely doesn't work at CVS. You probably used it a Walgreens. CVS has their own CVS pay that they want you to use.

CVS joins the digital payment app parade

"Apple, Google and Samsung believe they have an edge because their devices come equipped with payment capability upon delivery to consumers. Users can load payment options into Apple Pay, Android Pay and Samsung Pay, authenticate their identity on the phone while at the cash register and tap or hover their device to complete the transaction.

But for now, CVS and Walmart aren't accepting those three options."

SP works at Walgreens though.
It worked for me at CVS last week

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I just got my coffee from a Wawa and was chit chatting with the cashier and he was amazed how mines worked this morning !!

He said outta of like a hundred who's tried I'm like only the 3rd who's been able to use it !?!?

I feel soooo special now

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I just got my coffee from a Wawa and was chit chatting with the cashier and he was amazed how mines worked this morning !!

He said outta of like a hundred who's tried I'm like only the 3rd who's been able to use it !?!?

I feel soooo special now

That's awesome. What state are you in? I am visiting New Jersey and I am going to try at Wawa. I need two more taps for my DD $5 card. I am sure I can get that at Acme.

ded1945

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I've recently used Samsung Pay at Walgreens, CVS and Walmart with no issues. Sometimes wonder where these media reports come from. Only issue I've ever had, and continue to have, for some reason Amex and Walmart don't work together with SP, but my Visa works fine.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site

Samsung pay uses MST and NFC. So disabling NFC has no affect on Samsung pay not working....
Samsung pay has been a hit and miss for me too at Wal-Mart.... I've used the same terminal at Wal-Mart and have had it either go through (successful) although the card reader showed an error or just not go through at all, with error on the card reader....

dvarapala

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Been using Samsung Pay for a few days now - enough to get both the $20 debit VISA gift card and the $5 Dunkin' Donuts card. In a couple instances I have had to retry the transmission before the card reader would see it, but has never failed to work completely, including one case where the cashier kept telling me it wouldn't work because they don't take Apple Pay. :D

moc426

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I used it 3 times yesterday, first time using my credit card, cashier was so excited to see it in action and I tried and nothing happened, but I saw the display didn't say to swipe your card or anything and asked her if she set it? She apologized said she was too excited to see it she forgot, as soon as she did I retried it and worked. Next time I wanted to use the reward card which I still have a balance on, bought a game card from a machine they have and it worked without any issue and I still have balance on the card. And finally I paid at olive garden at the table kiosk thing without any issue.

Today I tried to use remaining balance of reward at walmart and it failed a few times and I switched to my credit card and it worked fine, so either they still have a problem with the reward card or I can't use it to pay partial. The card did register the swipe but it would fail after asking for PIN. Also I received notification for my dunkin donuts reward yesterday but I can't load the card as it fails, I spoke with samsung rewards this morning about the dunkin donuts promotion and they said they are aware of the issue and are working on it. It should be noted I only used this reward card once successfully at this same walmart and have failed twice now, the first time when it worked when it asked for pin I hit change payment then hit credit and it just worked (it's no longer working like that).

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I used it 3 times yesterday, first time using my credit card, cashier was so excited to see it in action and I tried and nothing happened, but I saw the display didn't say to swipe your card or anything and asked her if she set it? She apologized said she was too excited to see it she forgot, as soon as she did I retried it and worked. Next time I wanted to use the reward card which I still have a balance on, bought a game card from a machine they have and it worked without any issue and I still have balance on the card. And finally I paid at olive garden at the table kiosk thing without any issue.

Today I tried to use remaining balance of reward at walmart and it failed a few times and I switched to my credit card and it worked fine, so either they still have a problem with the reward card or I can't use it to pay partial. The card did register the swipe but it would fail after asking for PIN. Also I received notification for my dunkin donuts reward yesterday but I can't load the card as it fails, I spoke with samsung rewards this morning about the dunkin donuts promotion and they said they are aware of the issue and are working on it. It should be noted I only used this reward card once successfully at this same walmart and have failed twice now, the first time when it worked when it asked for pin I hit change payment then hit credit and it just worked (it's no longer working like that).

I've been using it successfully since it came out in most places. However, I've been having problems using the Samsung Debit card of all things. Did you use it as a Debit card, or as a credit card?

Also, for folks trying it at Walmart, I know Walmart has it's own payment system for Android. It's theoretically possible that as they roll it out at their stores they'll stop accepting other payment types. Just a theory.

moc426

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When the reward card worked at walmart, I had selected credit/debit and used the device then it asked for pin and I hit change payment on the button that is on the screen where you enter your pin. Two other times since it hasn't worked at walmart. The other place I used it was as credit, didn't ask for pin. I don't think Walmart can stop this payment method as it is like swiping your card.

I've been using it successfully since it came out in most places. However, I've been having problems using the Samsung Debit card of all things. Did you use it as a Debit card, or as a credit card?

Also, for folks trying it at Walmart, I know Walmart has it's own payment system for Android. It's theoretically possible that as they roll it out at their stores they'll stop accepting other payment types. Just a theory.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
When the reward card worked at walmart, I had selected credit/debit and used the device then it asked for pin and I hit change payment on the button that is on the screen where you enter your pin. Two other times since it hasn't worked at walmart. The other place I used it was as credit, didn't ask for pin. I don't think Walmart can stop this payment method as it is like swiping your card.

Thanks. I'll try using the Samsung card as a credit card next time. I bet that will work. Much appreciated.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I thought we were supposed to get $20 gift card after first use. I used it for the first time today (Home Depot) and got a $10 gift card.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Guess I'll go for the $5 Dunkin Donuts card after 3 uses. Question, what happens if I order $6 worth of food at Dunkin Donuts? Can I still use the $5 gift card for partial payment? How? I'm not so good with these things...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt